PDA

View Full Version : Store observation

skybluerob
August 30th, 2011, 21:20
Hello

Can I just make an observation about your FG store?

It seems to only list the Top 20 products as default, with no 'next page' option or anything similar (ie click here to see full range).

I think this is a bit of a mistake and you're perhaps doing a disservice to the many products you have available for FG. You can only see all available products when you click on show all products and do another search.

It may be that it's designed like this for a reason, but if it were me, I think I would change it to show off the many products you have available.

Also, I seem to find the website a bit slow at the moment and not loading properly, but in fairness that may be my browser.

All the best.

Rob.

Moon Wizard
August 30th, 2011, 21:37
Thanks for the feedback. I passed it on to Doug who manages the store.

Thanks,
JPG

damned
August 31st, 2011, 01:40
i agree re: the store

Trenloe
August 31st, 2011, 01:51
While we're talking about the store...

One recommendation would be to add Fantasy Grounds specific information to the product description - and some screenshots if appropriate.

For example, one of the most recent releases "Call of Cthulhu: Masks of Nyarlathotep" only tells me about the scenario - in fact, it is just a copy/paste from the Chaosium website. The only FG specific info there is that its "A Library Module for use with the Fantasy Grounds virtual tabletop".

This really isn't convincing me to buy this... I love CoC and Masks, but without having a better idea of what I'll be getting FG wise I'll be a bit hesitant to buy...

This lack of FG info is not just limited to this product - it is virtually across the board (from what I've seen)...

This is one of the main reasons why I haven't bought scenarios, tokens etc - all I've bought is rulesets.

I reckon a bit more info and a couple of screenshots and you'd sell a lot more products! :)

Sorcerer
August 31st, 2011, 12:09
just as a quick addition to the store debate.

Some items are described as supplements and some as accessories. In my mind these terms are roughly equivalent, the problem is that only Accessory is included in the product type filter, so Supplements are never shown unless you do a full search (unless they are Free supplements which has its own product type)

Specifically on the Subject of The Masks of Nyarlathotep module

well first thing is, despite what the description says, this is not a library module its a campaign/adventure (this is correctly written in the product type filter). There are no entries in the library.

it comes as 2 separate modules.

The first contains the bulk of the campaign material
whilst the second contains the 5 unconnected side adventures. These are small interludes that take place in London (3 of them) and Shanghai (the other 2). They are optional to the main campaign and could be omitted or run at a latter date on their own or within another campaign.

The Modules contain all of the text of the book (The new [well September 2010 at any rate] 4th edition version ~250 pages).

all the NPC's have been created as NPC entires, and each has a token.
so ~ 360 NPC's with around 120 distinct tokens for main module another 15 or so for the side adventures.
The tokens are for the most part based on images found within the book. All are greyscale. Most are Pictures of the NPC's, but some [for generic cultist's, villagers etc] are icons - for example the token for the generic "cultists of the bloody tongue", uses that cults emblem instead of the image of a person.

There are also around 220 images over the 2 modules [which includes all of the player handouts]

There are If I recall 5 new drag and drop spells, and 25 or so drag and drop items.

The story text, images and NPCS has been split into categories - 1 category per chapter. There are actually more category tabs than can be displayed in the default story window size - so you need to resize to see the final chapter.

ddavison
September 3rd, 2011, 08:19
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I have many of these on my list of to-dos but haven't gotten around to them. The paging in the store is one that I am quite frankly embarrassed that I didn't prioritize sooner. I just added this functionality tonight, so thanks for pressing me to get this issue checked off the list.

When we first took ownership of SmiteWorks in Oct 2009, there were only around 20 or so products on the store and they were all displayed on the same page with only a title and an icon for the category. I switched it around to give a little more info and allow for a growing product list without too much additional maintenance. Now that we have increased to 176 products, it is becoming necessary to revisit this I think.

Fixed

Store allows navigation to additional pages of results
Supplements now included with Accessories

To-Do

Add more screenshots and multiple screenshot capability
Provide better descriptions of additional FG functionality added
Add user reviews
Add user ratings
Highlight top sellers

osarusan
September 10th, 2011, 02:40
I agree the store could use some panache. One thing I really would like to see is more in-game integration. For one, I really like how when we load up Fantasy Grounds and go to the create new game section, you can see the additional rulesets to buy. This is pretty cool, and makes the user aware of the additional capabilities of Fantasy Grounds. It would be great if the store were integrated into the program in the same way, and we could perhaps browse a list of modules within FG, like going through books on my bookshelf. Something along the lines of an "app store" within FG would work well I think, as people are now getting used to shopping that way.

ddavison
April 25th, 2012, 02:51
Fixed

Add more screenshots and multiple screenshot capability
Added Share to Facebook, Google +, etc on each product page

To-Do

Provide better descriptions of additional FG functionality added
Add user reviews
Add user ratings
Highlight top sellers
in-game store
gifting to GM or Players

We are slowly chipping away at the missing features. Here are two more recent additions. I need to go in and add good screenshots for a ton of products, so this may take a while before they all get completed. I've done a couple dozen of them, ranging from adventure modules, token packs and rulesets.