PDA

View Full Version : looking for a die mechanic to copy

gmkieran
August 30th, 2011, 17:34
Is there a rule set currently available for FG that implements bonuses/penalties that change the type of die rolled as opposed to adding an amount to the results of a roll? I'm trying to build a Cortex-based ruleset for personal use (not happy with how my SW conversion is going) and I haven't been able to figure out how to handle this based on the Anatomy of a Ruleset or Unicore wiki information. Any direction would be appreciated!

Cheers!
GMK

Moon Wizard
August 30th, 2011, 20:49
I'm not aware of any ruleset that does what you are saying specifically.

Essentially, when the user made the original roll (either double-click, drop on chatwindow, etc.), you would need to capture that event, apply your modifiers (i.e. change dice in the roll), then call the throwDice function.

You can capture dice drops onto the chatwindow in the chatwindow control onDrop event handler.

The new rolling system in 3.5E would actually be a good model to start with for what you are thinking, but it's fairly complex.

Regards,
JPG

gmkieran
August 30th, 2011, 21:05
Thanks, Moon_Wizard! Not terribly surprised, given that only the Cortex and original Star Wars ever worked that way, afik. I'll check out 3.5 and see if I can grasp enough between it and the Anatomy to put something together. If not, maybe I'll stick with the SW conversion or see if I can at least get close with the Unicore.

cheers!
GMK

joshuha
August 30th, 2011, 21:26
I did something sorta similar but not quite the same for Earthdawn. I wrote a lookup into a table that took the step number (integer) from the character sheet and found the appropriate set of dice to roll. I never implemented modifiers on it though because I assumed you could just use the temp mods on the numbercontrol to modify the integer value step you would lookup. But its only one step further from there to use the modifier box to do another lookup on the total step value before it lands.

However, not sure if you are actually coming from a simple integer value to use as a lookup or are coming from other dice then a modifier is a simple die type up or down? I need more info.

gmkieran
August 31st, 2011, 01:10
Thanks for the info, Joshuha! I haven't actually started building, yet, so I haven't decided what the initial values will be. I was considering something along the lines of your idea, but have no idea how I'd implement it (I'm a tyro, at best, at xml and am not a coder by training or talent, so I'm kinda hacking this out as I go).

If I'm understanding you correctly, I could build this table:
{1=d2,2=d4,3=d6,4=d8,5=d10,6=d12,7=d12+2,8=d12+4}

Then a 2 step bonus (the way Cortex defines it) would raise the die-type ID by 2 (ie starting with d4 as ID 2, a 2 step bonus takes us to ID 4 = d8) That only gets difficult when you exceed the maximum die type (d12) and the system changes to either adding more dice OR adding numbers (ie d12+d2 or d12+2 depending on the situation). Building the table would be relatively easy - how would I call it?

Cheers!
GMK