PDA

View Full Version : cant host a game

VBD
August 30th, 2011, 05:26
i am new to FG2 and i have purchased an ultimate license.
I am try'n to run a Matrix campaign using SWSE but i am having problems hosting. i cant not pass the connection test nor can any of my players join the game. I learned i should use hamachi from another forum if i was having router issues and i am but its till not working.
any suggestions?

joshuha
August 30th, 2011, 05:36
Are you behind a router? Do you know the brand? Portward.com has a good guide for most popular routers on how to forward a port to your PC (you need to forward port 1802).

VBD
August 30th, 2011, 05:58
SMC networks
baricade N

the website u gave no longer exists Portward.com

Trenloe
August 30th, 2011, 06:08
the website u gave no longer exists Portward.com

Try portforward.com

VBD
August 30th, 2011, 06:16
ok i will try

VBD
August 30th, 2011, 09:23
ok i found out how enter my router and do the 1802 tcp thing, but the max rule on my router is 32.......i may be doing something wrong but its all i can find
my router make is SMCWBR14S-N4 if any 1 can help me further i would appreciate it

Trenloe
August 30th, 2011, 09:35
ok i found out how enter my router and do the 1802 tcp thing, but the max rule on my router is 32.......i may be doing something wrong but its all i can find
my router make is SMCWBR14S-N4 if any 1 can help me further i would appreciate it

Download the manual from here (https://www.smc.com/files/AX/UG_SMCWBR14S_N4.PDF)

Look at page 94.

Create a new "virtual server" and enter the values:
- IP Address: the local IP address of your computer that is running Fantasy Grounds as the GM.
- Private port 1802.
- Public Port: 1802.
- Protocol: TCP&UDP.

Press "Apply".

This should have set it up. Now to test it...

1) Open a campaign in Fantasy Grounds.
2) Open a browser and goto here (https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/)
3) In "Port Number" type 1802. Do not change the remote address.
4) Press "Check"

This should return "Port 1802 is open on WW.XX.YY.ZZ" - where WW.XX.YY.ZZ is your remote IP address (the internet address of your router).

If this works, you're friends should be able to connect by entering the external address shown in Fantasy Grounds before you load your campaign - this should be the same as WW.XX.YY.ZZ from above (but this may change over time).

Let me know how it goes.

VBD
August 30th, 2011, 09:50
ok well atleast i was not completely ignorant i found the same guide but an older 1 i guess.
the whole 32 thing meant how many different ones i can have which was not in the pdf i had at 1st but any how i followed your steps and logged and logged on my brothers comp and it says "connecting...." for the few mins
thx for all ur help so far

VBD
August 30th, 2011, 22:57
ok everything was setup fine last night,but no 1 could join

now my virtual server is not working and i get this "Port 1802 is closed on (xx.xx.xx.xx)" i am gonna erase it an make a new 1

Moon Wizard
August 30th, 2011, 23:32
Double-check that the internal IP address of your machine matches the port forwarding rule on your router. Usually when it stops working in my network, it's because the IP address changed on my host machine.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
August 30th, 2011, 23:35
ok everything was setup fine last night,but no 1 could join

No one could join when it was setup fine last night?

now my virtual server is not working and i get this "Port 1802 is closed on (xx.xx.xx.xx)" i am gonna erase it an make a new 1

Did you run the port test when Fantasy Grounds is running? It will only succeed when FG is running - as only then will it be able to accept communication on part 1802.

If FG is running and the port test is still failing, then it sounds like your internal IP has changed. In Fantasy Grounds, when you go to "load campaign" you will see inthe top right "Address information" and an internal and external IP address (you normally have to <<click to retrieve>> you external IP adddress).

The internal IP address is what you use for port forwarding of 1802 on your router to - has this changed since you set it up yesterday?

The external IP address is what you give to your friends on the internet to connect Fantasy Grounds to you.

Nestor
August 31st, 2011, 16:14
now this may be simplistic...

I had the same problem when I set up my 1st campaign. Spent the better part of 6 hours monkeying with all sort of settings.

I fixed the problem by re-booting my router and then re-booting my pc. I have had to do this on one other occasion.

I did not read in your post where you had tried a reset. Just make sure you have tried all the obvious stuff.

VBD
September 15th, 2011, 07:40
It works thanks for all the help sorry it took so long to reply

Trenloe
September 15th, 2011, 07:53
It works thanks for all the help sorry it tool so long to reply

No worries - glad you got it working! :)