PDA

View Full Version : Planning to run my first SW game

Moon Wizard
August 29th, 2011, 21:24
I'm thinking about running a one-off Savage Worlds adventure for my gaming group to try something new, and I'm looking for suggestions on an adventure to run.

Some things to consider:
* Only 2 out of 6 have played any games other than D&D.
* For the remaining 2, we have only played Savage Worlds a couple times at conventions, but we liked the feel of the system.
* An adventure that is already available in Fantasy Grounds through the store is a bonus.

I appreciate any pointers you could give me for a good introduction adventure for Savage Worlds.

Thanks,
JPG

phantomwhale
August 30th, 2011, 00:42
I really enjoy the Daring tales of adventure series - we ran though 4 of them (face to face) to get into Savage Worlds. It uses a good overall slice of the SWEX rules without getting into the gritty corners, and feature a good array of "fun scenes" to play though.

Downside is they are a little railroad-y and prescribed. Which is fine if your players understand the Pulp style, which often is more about style within certain set movie scenes, rather than a player-driven narrative with multiple directions and outcomes. Also it's pre-gens, which may or may not work well.

I think you'd want to get some good maps setup in advance for each one too - from memory, each adventure has 1-2 great scenes that would benefit from great maps / scenary.

Mask_of_winter
August 30th, 2011, 00:50
I second the Daring Tales suggestion. They really bring the best out of Savage Worlds. Besides having to make maps, the module comes with 4 pre-gens only. So you would need to make more. Luckily, there are figure flats available through the store.

As an alternative, I would suggest Deadlands: reloaded. Any adventure in the adventure pack is great. They are pre-gens available on pinnacle's site and Kevin Doswell could probably let you use any of his great 14 pre-gens. These adventure are designed to be played in one session which makes them perfect for one-shots.

mr_h
August 30th, 2011, 01:06
There's also the Kith'takharos adventures, which are completely entered into FG. It also would support the 'little guys'.

(warning, I helped play test two of the modules and may be biased :b)

skybluerob
August 30th, 2011, 21:10
I played a game of Savage Worlds in FG on Saturday. Kevin Doswell ran the game and I think the title of the adventure was Night Train.

The setting was Deadlands Reloaded, but I thought it was an excellent (although pretty tough) adventure and an excellent setting.

I'm not an expert with Savage Worlds, but I thought the rules played really well in this setting.

So I would recommend that one (as long as the players don't mind a bit of a mission impossible!)

Or possibly an easier adventure, but certainly try Deadlands for SW (although in fairness you have to pay extra for the Deadlands rulesets which might put you off).

Rob.

Mask_of_winter
August 30th, 2011, 22:46
I dont think Moon Wizard has to worry about buying rulesets for FG2 :)

VenomousFiligree
August 30th, 2011, 22:53
I dont think Moon Wizard has to worry about buying rulesets for FG2 :)
....... :D