PDA

View Full Version : Pointers for Outdoor maps

dradams
August 28th, 2011, 16:10
Hi,

I'd like to solicit some recommendations for constructing outdoor maps. In particular, I like to figure out how to optimize the construction of a relatively large map for outdoor combat.

Here are some observations:

1. I get an "Invalid Image" error if I import a large map (many Mb).
2. If I use a smaller map that covers a largish area (say hundreds by hundreds of hexes), then the hex markings become too pixelated to see.
3. Given the lack of dynamic hex scaling (feet per hex), a two hundred by two hundred hex map only covers 1000 feet--less than a maximal bow shot using D&D3.5 rules.

This is a great program, and I'd love to hear how people organize their outdoor combats.

Thanks,

-David

Phystus
August 28th, 2011, 18:03
I feel your pain, I've got a ranger with Far Shot, and an evoker wizard, so I too need big maps to give the characters with some range a chance to shine. But I also want to avoid big files. I try very hard to keep them under 1 meg, and under 500k is better still.

One saving grace in a lot of cases is that line of sight is shorter than arrow range, so you can get a way with a bit smaller map. My typical size is 2700x2700 pixels, with 30 pixels = 5 feet. So the map is 90 by 90 squares, or 450 feet square. I use FG to put the grid on the map rather than doing it in the mapmaking process. That way pointers will measure correctly, so range can be easily figured.

Using 30 pixel squares does compromise the quality, of course. Reducing color depth can also help file size a lot, again at some cost to detail. But my players and I try to bear in mind that the map still looks a lot better than what I'd draw on a battlemat with a marker in a face-to-face game, and is larger than we'd have there as well.

~P

Oberoten
August 28th, 2011, 21:04
Imagine what we could do with SVG?

- Obe.

dradams
August 29th, 2011, 01:08
Is there an initiative to add SVG support?

dradams
August 31st, 2011, 14:29
Really? That's it?
Should I have posted in a different group?

Valarian
September 1st, 2011, 07:06
Try using PNG in preference to JPG. The pixalation, I think, is less. The compression on the file is less though.

Leonal
September 1st, 2011, 08:16
I don't use grids for combat in large areas. It rarely matters whether you move 30 feet when you're 1000 feet away, so I hand wave it and just say "they move a bit closer" or "it seems like they're more than 20 feet apart" when relevant and calculate the distance without a grid if needed.

damned
September 2nd, 2011, 02:43
keep your maps under 500kb - it should be quite possible.
agree with comments - your computer gen maps - even when zoomed in a bit and a bit pixellated - are usually far better than maps you have when playing table top...

Kingfish
September 3rd, 2011, 02:21
I don't use grids for combat in large areas. It rarely matters whether you move 30 feet when you're 1000 feet away, so I hand wave it and just say "they move a bit closer" or "it seems like they're more than 20 feet apart" when relevant and calculate the distance without a grid if needed.

I thought distances outdoors were in yards anyway...or is that an AD&D rule I just have never let go? :/

Doswelk
September 8th, 2011, 10:20
All distances are inches to me... :D

Ah AD&D used to play a lot of that, used to know the reason why all spells became more effective outdoors when all ranges and areaa of effect swapped from feet to yards...

Iceman
September 12th, 2011, 22:15
Hi,

I'd like to solicit some recommendations for constructing outdoor maps.

-David

I HATE outdoor maps! You have to unplug your computer, drag the damn thing outside, set it up on some lawn furniture or something and then find a friggin chord long enough to reach an outlet through the open window in the house!

I propose that FG ban ALL OUTDOOR MAPS and make it strictly an indoor program.....