PDA

View Full Version : Question about server characters

Knivel
August 20th, 2011, 21:12
Hello, fellow gamers!

When I make changes to my character during game, I want them to show up on my local character (e.g., to do level advancement with the up-to-date char sheet).
So, is there a possibility to save a local copy of my server character?
Or do I have to ask my GM to send me the files? And, if so, what file should he send?

:confused:

Any help is highly appreciated!

PS: Sorry, if this should be the wrong place to ask. I don't know if it's ruleset-specific...

Griogre
August 22nd, 2011, 06:32
There is not a way to save local copies of your character. You can often go in and look at a read only version of the latest version on the server though if you want to plan this does depend on the ruleset but typically Start FG select Manage Character and then click the name of the campaign. Once FG loads select the characters button in the top right of the desktop and select the character.

Trenloe
August 22nd, 2011, 09:17
Or do I have to ask my GM to send me the files? And, if so, what file should he send?

If you're playing the 3.5E ruleset (I'm guessing that you are) and if you're running a full Fantasy Grounds client, your GM and you can use the new /exportchar and /importchar slashcommands available in V2.8:

1) GM opens your campaign in Fantasy Grounds. They type /exportchar <name of your character> and save the export as an XML file. The GM sends this xml file to you.
2) You create a new campaign in your Fantasy Grounds - use the same ruleset and extensions as your GM. Import your character data with /importchar - then select the XML file you were sent.
3) You should see your character in "Characters" - make all the changes you need.
4) Type /exportchar - if you only have one character in your new campaign you don't need to type the name, if you have more than one just type the name of the one you export, this will avoid importing lots of characters into your "live" campaign. Send the resulting XML file to your GM.
5) Your GM loads the campaign in Fantasy Grounds as normal and imports the character with /importchar.
6) There will now be 2 characters in the campaign - the original one and the modified one. Check everything is OK in the modified one and then delete the old one. Assign your character portrait and you're ready to go!

Knivel
August 22nd, 2011, 20:47
Thanks alot! Both suggestions are very helpful.

Pikup
November 19th, 2011, 21:18
Is there anything similar for the Savage Worlds rule set? I was looking to move my game to my laptop as a module, but the characters do not seem to come with the module.

I'm guessing my only option is to take the whole campaign folder over. Any issues/concerns with doing that?

Pikup

Dakadin
November 19th, 2011, 21:45
I've been able to do that with my laptop. Just make sure that you bring the tokens, modules and extensions you are using. The tokens have to be in the same directory structure also.