PDA

View Full Version : Manage Characters issues

gmkieran
August 14th, 2011, 14:14
I encountered some interesting issues today while using and changing to/from the Manage Characters functionality in FG v2.8.

First, I loaded my main campaign file, exported existing characters, imported new characters, deleted the dupes and saved. All of that worked beautifully, afict, thank SO much for the import character functionality.

Then I wanted to see if I could update the token on my personal character, so I returned to the selection screen and hit Manage Characters, discovering when it came up that the internal version already has its token assigned. Two minor things here - 1) the Close x's don't work in Manage Characters; I had to right click and select Close Window and 2) the Return to Chooser radial menu icon is different in Manage Characters than elsewhere, but maybe that's by design.

The big issue appeared when I tried to return to the Chooser and re-load the campaign I'd just been working with. When I selected it, all but the three basic Theme extensions were gone (I had the full set of Dr Z's latest extensions, plus the Additional Wounds extension selected). I tried to load the campaign anyway and got an error saying FG couldn't load the root db and asking if I wanted to try restoring the data. I got that twice ("Yes" the first time, "No" the second) and FG simply closed when I clicked No. When I re-started FG, the full list of extensions is back and the campaign loaded normally including the edits I'd made, so no harm done, just weird.

Cheers!
GMK

Leonal
August 14th, 2011, 15:10
AFAIK portraits will default to new characters if there already are existing unused portraits in the campaign\portraits folder.

gmkieran
August 16th, 2011, 03:46
That was essentially what I found, Leonal, yes. Still curious about why all my extensions disappeared when I went back to the chooser (glad they came back after the game crashed out, anyway).

One other thing a player brought to my attention regarding Manage Characters. He was creating a new one and trying to drag 'n' drop skills from library modules to the character sheet. Nothing populated except the link button. In previous incarnations the description and any relevant stat text, modifiers, etc. would have been populated. I didn't find anything searching the forums, so I figured I'd ask. Is this expected functionality or might there be an issue with skills from library mods in 2.8?

Cheers!
GMK

Moon Wizard
August 17th, 2011, 17:38
I will have to take a look when I return from vacation. (~1.5 weeks) I've added to my investigation list.

I'll probably have some more questions once I dig in, but one immediate question: Which ruleset are you using?

Regards,
JPG

gmkieran
August 18th, 2011, 16:53
Thanks, MW! I'll try to head off a few of them, anyway. Ruleset: 4e, FG 2.8.0, All of DrZ's current extensions except House Rules (the latest 2.8 compatible versions).

I've also been having a fair amount of crash issues, mostly when trying to load a new module when returning to the chooser from another module or when opening a large number of modules for purposes of building characters or encounters & treasure parcels. I really just need to finish my collected versions so I can have 3 modules open instead of 12. ;) Actually, the crashes may account for the failure of the extensions to appear - it may not have saved the extension state file correctly when I returned to chooser, because it crashed out shortly thereafter.

Enjoy your vaca!
GMK

Moon Wizard
August 30th, 2011, 01:05
Here's a summary of what I found:

* I haven't been able to recreate the issue with the close boxes, different menus or crashing with my test campaign, but I don't use all the DrZ extensions so might be related.

* Currently, the database structure for local mode is different than playing mode. This may be related as well. This will be addressed as soon as I update 4E to 2.8 compatibility mode.

* The skill entries are added automatically to a character sheet when it is opened. I dragged the links from the skills from my 4E Players Handbook module to the shortcut box without any issues.

Are you still seeing these issues? Have you tried running without the extensions?

Thanks,
JPG

gmkieran
August 30th, 2011, 16:28
Seems more likely the issue is with local mode, rather than the extensions, since none of those affect window behavior. I will verify with the player regarding skills when we play tonight. I have not tried running without the extensions, but will do so if the skills issue is still manifesting and see if it might be related to the party sheet extension.

Thanks!
GMK