PDA

View Full Version : Add a damage type?

adminwheel3
August 11th, 2011, 03:14
Is there a way to add a damage type to an attack through another power?

I know you can add damage to an attack by having a situational effect ability [DMG:3], but I can't seem to add a type.

adminwheel3
August 11th, 2011, 03:15
Just to be clear, I don't want to add both damage and an effect, I just want to add a keyword (fire/cold/etc)

adminwheel3
August 11th, 2011, 03:27
Following up on this I was testing various effects and noticed that when I use the following:

DMG: 5 cold,necrotic

Only the cold effect appears to be working. I tested it on someone who had resistance to both, first by removing the cold resistance - they took full damage, then by adding the cold resistance in with the necrotic resistance - they resisted the 5 damage, then by removing the necrotic resistance - they resisted the 5 damage where they should have taken 5 since they didn't have resistance to both.

Moon Wizard
August 11th, 2011, 06:54
There is currently no way to add a damage type, though I did build an effect like that for the 3.5E ruleset. However, it adds the damage type to every damage roll. Is this what you are looking for?

On the cold/necrotic damage, I'll have to look into it.

Regards,
JPG

adminwheel3
August 11th, 2011, 18:08
Thanks very much for checking into the resistance thing.

There are various abilities and magic items out there which grant a keyword damage type when used. Many are at-will.

It would be nice to have an effect we could double click on which would add a damage type to the following damage roll, much like we can add on-demand damage to a damage roll now.

Otherwise (assuming only one damage type was being added), it would require either manually accounting for the damage type vs. the resistances - certainly not the end of the world, or a separate attack and damage line for every attack.

Hmm...I suppose I could create a separate implement or weapon entry and then have the player change the default weapon as needed.

adminwheel3
October 15th, 2011, 14:21
Following up on this - is it possible to have a custom damage type added through an extension?

For example, I would like to houserule a damage type called 'argent'.

Moon Wizard
October 16th, 2011, 04:35
I don't have any way to do that right now.

Technically, you could write an extension to add the damage type, but you would have to overwrite the entire constants file (DataCommon package, implemented in data_common.lua), where the damage type list is stored.

Regards,
JPG

Zeus
October 16th, 2011, 08:31
I could take a look at introducing a registration mechanism for logging new damage types through extensions. i.e. similar to the way the ruleset handles registering nodes for /export, chatwindow launch messages and roll handlers.

I was thinking of adding a means to customising the Skills list through a similar approach.

adminwheel3
October 16th, 2011, 17:32
Thanks for the reply MW - I understand that your list of things to do is miles long.

DZ - Thanks for giving it some thought.

adminwheel3
July 8th, 2012, 01:17
Dr.Z, is this still something you're thinking about creating?

Zeus
July 10th, 2012, 18:11
Yes, apologies I have been sidetracked with figuring out an efficient way of getting DDI data into FGII.

Its on my to do list.