PDA

View Full Version : Help with Dragon Magazine Scrapes

Crispyrat
August 10th, 2011, 03:46
Good day.

Purchased FG II a couple of days ago and have been drinking from the fire hose learning. I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere, or if this is the wrong spot for this question.

While trying to input a character, not all of the modules are showing up for the player instance of the game. The ones that are not showing up are, specifically, the Dungeon/Dragon Magazine scrapes. I can see them fine in the GM instance. I have them checked green for "Allow for Players." The content renders fine in the GM instance.

But for reasons I can't seem to understand, the player cannot see the modules.

I have restarted the instances Host/Player many times, and am now resorting to asking for help here.

I don't know if I have described this challenge correctly.

Since this is my first post, please let me say - I think this is a pretty brilliant product. My (many, many) previous questions have been answered by pouring through the forums, and the support from Dr. Z et. al. is quite remarkable.

If I need to ask this elsewhere, kindly point me in the right direction.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

-Crispy

Zeus
August 10th, 2011, 09:00
@Crispyrat: Welcome to the community and FantasyGrounds family.

The module problem may be related to the type of module you have created.

There are generally three types:

client.xml - useable by Host/Players, must be installed locally on each PC in the app data/modules folder to be accessible form within the campaign
common.xml - useable by Host/Players, must be installed locally on the hosts PC in the app data/modules folder to be accessible from within the campaign. Players are sent a copy of the module on request and when the DM opens and allows Players to use the modules.
db.xml - useable by Host only, must be installed locally on the hosts PC in the app data/modules folder to be accessible from within the campaign by the DM only. DM can still manually share images/sheets from within FGII.

Generally adventure modules and DM's rulebooks are created as db.xml modules, player guides and power splat books are created as client.xml or common.xml modules.

A question: Did you use the 4EParser to scrape and then parse the Dragon/Dungeon Magazines?

If so, check the module type pull down list in the 4EParser's configuration for Parsing and set it to client.xml. Parse and then try again.

You may want to separate the Dragon and Dungeon content as Dragon purely contains player information (powers, items etc.) and Dungeon contains DM information (npcs, adcentures etc.)

Crispyrat
August 10th, 2011, 17:28
DrZeuss,

That is likely the issue. I did use the 4EParser to create the modules, but didn't change the type of module I was creating. Will take a look at it as soon as I can get home and start fiddling with FG again.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

-Crispy

Crispyrat
August 11th, 2011, 04:20
DrZeuss,

That did it. I have a LOT of other questions about small things (I ran my kid through a combat encounter today). Is this the correct forum for those questions.

Thanks in advance.

-Crispy

Zeus
August 11th, 2011, 19:48
Sure, you can post mostly anything related to 4E and FGII in this forum.