PDA

View Full Version : A note to our FG Brits out there.

dr_venture
August 9th, 2011, 21:08
I've noticed that there are a lot of Brits on the FG boards, and I just want to say that I hope you and yours are all doing well and are safe with the riots going on. I definitely know the news can really skew the scale of such things, but after hearing from a couple of non FG Brits we know that they are concerned, I thought I'd just pop in here and wish you all the best. Take care, my friends.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum - it seemed like the best place.

Valarian
August 9th, 2011, 21:17
All safe here so far, though Brum has been hit. They aren't riots though, not political protest and unrest. This is mass looting and criminal theft of goods. It's being planned and coordinated. A sign of the acquisitive consumer culture gone mad. People who can no longer get cheap credit to run up debts frustrated at no longer being able to get all the consumer goods they "need".

Zeus
August 9th, 2011, 22:00
Yep we are OK here in the Langley's. Thanks for asking.

We are quite lucky and live outside of the major built-up areas. So far we have been lucky and escaped the violence.

Sad day to be British though ... let down by a minority of mindless hoodlums with nothing better to do. :(

phantomwhale
August 9th, 2011, 22:31
As a Brit abroad, I can only echo the sentiments and reactions above. The scenes on TV are quite heartbreaking.

mr_h
August 10th, 2011, 14:24
I swear to FSM if those riots screw up the start of the Premier League, I'm coming over there personally and forcing all the rioters to call it soccer.

/has his priorities :)

Doswelk
August 10th, 2011, 23:42
It was creeping closer to us (we live 8 miles from Croydon), hopefully now it has calmed down...

borusa32
August 11th, 2011, 20:01
All ok,thanks-although I work in London and I am hoping it subsides soon