PDA

View Full Version : Crashing

Galeric
August 9th, 2011, 17:41
A very noticeable amount of crashing is taking place since upgrading to 2.8. I have several players that can not connect because their client crashes at the Character selection screen.

Character Selection is taking anywhere between 7 to 10 minutes, never was that long before.

Are either of these issues something that someone else can confirm? Or is this something only myself and my group are having?

Moon Wizard
August 9th, 2011, 18:00
There is one other person that has reported an issue like that, but in general, I'm not hearing about any issues like this.

Can you send a copy of your db.xml file from your campaign directory to me at [email protected]?

Then, here are a few things I'd like you to try:

* Try connecting to your host using a second instance on the same machine. Any issues?

* Run /flushdb command in the chat input window once your campaign is running. Then, try connections again. Any issues?

* Create a new campaign, add some image files into the new campaign folder, and try connecting. Any issues?

Thanks,
JPG

khersheyjr
August 9th, 2011, 18:46
I have been having similar issues as well. I have not reported it yet because I have not been able to track down and successfully recreate it. I too have a player who takes at least 10 mins to get to character select. I was using extensions of Dr. Zeuss' but have since stripped the campaign down to the bare basics trying to root out whatever the problem is. I dont have any specifics yet but I will try the flushdb command to see if that helps on my end. I am able to connect just fine using a 2nd computer and I have tried creating a brand new campaign to test out possibly today to see if the issues still occur.

Moon Wizard
August 9th, 2011, 19:09
If the crashing appears to be happening during player connections (and not user interface interaction) and you understand command lines, you can also add the -n command line parameter to the shortcut for FG. It will turn on network logging to the console.log file. Then, you can save off the console.log file after the crash, and send a copy to me. This can be done on both the GM and player side for maximum information, but any info will help. It will slow down the connections a bit due to the extra logging.

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
August 10th, 2011, 10:23
Also, I just pushed an update to the beta version (2.8.1) that fixes an issue with tokens not loading that are included with the ruleset.

If you are running a ruleset other than 3.5E or 4E (since they don't use ruleset tokens), then I'm interested to see if it helps with the crashes you are experiencing. If you and your players are up for it and have Full/Lite versions, you can try the beta version and let me know if it helps. If it does help, it will help me hone in on the issue (if it's related to ruleset tokens).

Thanks,
JPG

Galeric
August 11th, 2011, 01:46
Will test this tonight hopefully.

Galeric
August 11th, 2011, 03:13
Ok...

With the new patch, the problem is still there, and much worse. It takes longer now, up over 15 mins waiting on character select, 50% of the time client side crashes.

Good news....

I started a new campaign with all my images, drastically reduced my tokens used, and the software runs like a champ, under 2.8.1. (it did not last night) Something within my Campaign folder has gone screwy. The only thing new since the 2.8 version is one image. So unless a JPG is capable of causing this issue, its something that is not backwards compatible.

I am willing to archive everything up and ship it to you folks if you would like.

Otherwise, a new campaign folder solves this issue.

Moon Wizard
August 11th, 2011, 06:41
If you don't mind, please ZIP up and send me the whole campaign folder. Also, please let me know which user name saw the long load times. I'd like to research some more when I have time.

Thanks,
JPG

Galeric
August 15th, 2011, 03:48
Hi there...

OK i sent off the Campaign info and the players name is Black Leaf

We have been testing this in a lot of ways and one thing we have discovered is that 2.8 is a bit of a resource hog. Black Leaf's PC is old and has only 3 gigs of ram.

I am thinking of rolling back to the version just before 2.8 and see how things go, however....

I have the 2.72 installer on my HD, is there a way to get the installer for release just before 2.8 ? or a way to update it to that point ?

Moon Wizard
August 17th, 2011, 18:05
The memory model for FG has not changed between 2.7.6 and 2.8, so I would be surprised that the memory usage would be significantly different between the 2 versions. Also, memory is limited to 2G by the OS, so running at 4G shouldn't be an issue. Finally, to reduce memory consumption, try closing a few modules. It will also speed up load times.

If you want to compare, the installer for the last version is still downloadable at:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FantasyGroundsII-Setup276.exe

Regards,
JPG

Galeric
August 24th, 2011, 22:28
Just thought i would pass this on to you, this is an error code we got last session:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: FantasyGrounds.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4e2f6af8
Fault Module Name: FantasyGrounds.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4e2f6af8
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000076be
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Clients are still crashing every 15 mins or so.

mfitzi
August 25th, 2011, 00:19
I noticed, after the update, that if I opened an existing campaign it would take a very long time to get to the game table. Once in, I closed some open modules I had and that seemed to do the trick.