PDA

View Full Version : Combat Tracker question

Casimir
August 9th, 2011, 16:20
I haven't actually used the CT yet - none of the games I'm running have had any combat actions occur in their scenarios as they stand (which is probably for the best... lol) - but in testing I've encountered something that, at least for me, is potentially problematic.

Whenever I drag a character or NPC into the CT, I also get a chat window message pop up with a notation that includes the name of the character / npc and their basic stats.

Now - I'm a Keeper / DM that actually prefers to keep the mystery of things as much as possible until the last moment, so when players suddenly see a couple of chat entries pop up with the monster name and it's attributes, that will pretty much kill that moment... especially if I plan on pre-loading the CT with characters and monsters prior to an impending combat sequence.

So - what I'd like to know is if there is a way to disable that... "functionality" I guess? Is it possible to perhaps simply comment out a section of a .LUA script that auto generates the chat message?

Sorcerer
August 9th, 2011, 17:41
The good news is that this information is only shown to the Keeper.
it is not transmitted to any of the players.

You will probably find that the CT for this ruleset is very rudimentary, when compared to other rulsets. (it was one of the first developed).
It has virtually no automation, and it is basically just a log of whose turn it is and what kind of attacks they have. Only the Keeper can see the CT in this ruleset there is no client CT as you might find in most modern rulesets.

Hopefully someone will get round to updating this ruleset in the near future, but it seems from your post that you are not heavy on the combat (a pretty good thing in CoC) so perhaps the functionality is enough for this type of game.

Casimir
August 9th, 2011, 20:18
Ok - thanks Sorcerer. I wondered if the data was only shown to the Keeper, but I wasn't sure, as I never got around to testing it with a server / client test on my system (always got sidetracked).

So far the ruleset has been perfect for what I need it for. Since it's really the first ruleset I've dived into for DM'ing, I don't have experience with the more advanced things you mention, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing as yet. :P

But I agree - it would be great if the ruleset was updated... but since everyone has lives it works great in the meantime.

StuartW
August 10th, 2011, 06:55
The info messages are for the GM only (as Sorcerer says) and are there because the ruleset supports on-the-fly random generation of creatures. If a wolf is listed as having STR 2D6+6, the ruleset will generate the STR for each entry individually (together with the other stats) and the chat message lets the GM see these generated stats.

For a more recent/modern tracker, the BRP ruleset is a step closer, and has player tracker and other features (and the ruleset also has P2P whispers etc). It is still a little bit behind 4E, where considerable effort has been put into automation by JPG and others.

All that said, your players won't be alive long enough in CoC for the tracker features to matter too much if they start picking fights...

Stuart

zackspacks
September 6th, 2011, 19:58
Hopefully someone will get round to updating this ruleset in the near future, but it seems from your post that you are not heavy on the combat (a pretty good thing in CoC) so perhaps the functionality is enough for this type of game.Hi there, just to echo this, although our group also doesn't have much combat, with 1 Keeper + 7 Players, any combat does get rather chaotic, due to not being able to share the combat tracker. Is anyone working on an update ?

cheers
Paul