PDA

View Full Version : Stacking effects

Callum
August 9th, 2011, 09:02
Just had our first session with v2.8 and 3.5E - the new functionality is incredible, and looks like it will make our games much easier. I've got lots to ask about this new version, but I'll start with a general question about effects.

It's great that the stacking takes account of effect types. However, PCs often have magic items with related effects that need to be incorporated into the calculations, but items don't currently have an effects field. Am I right that currently we will need to build permanent-duration effects for all magic items in the Effects List and then drag them onto the Combat Tracker?

Actually, I guess a better approach might be to put them in as spells under a Magic Item class on the action tab.

Moon Wizard
August 9th, 2011, 18:15
There are 2 approaches that I've used in my games.

One is to add the enhancement effects directly into the character statistics on the character sheet. However, you then need to remember to adjust any effects that you add to the character during play. (i.e. Wearing gauntlets of Ogre Power, and having Bull's Strength cast on you. Would need to update the effect to STR: 2, instead of STR: 4)

The second way is to keep the effects for items permanently on the combat tracker, and make them GM visible only. This way will adjust all the rolls and apply bonus type overlaps, but it won't update all the calculations on the character sheet.

I wanted to have the ruleset handle this in a more complete way, but it would have required a complete overhaul of the character sheet and a rework of the effects system as well. It's something on my wish list for long term, but the current system is better than what we had.

Cheers,
JPG

Callum
August 11th, 2011, 08:59
Thanks for the ideas, JPG. I think I'll go with the second one - keeping item effects permanently on the Combat Tracker. Although this won't update all the stuff on the character sheet, it should make the necessary adjustments when rolls are made, shouldn't it? Or will it not take account of things like enhanced Str bonuses being added to weapon damage?

Moon Wizard
August 11th, 2011, 19:07
Yes, it should. Any roll which is based on Strength will apply any STR effect modifiers.

Regards,
JPG