PDA

View Full Version : FG1 and FG2 on same PC

opusstick
August 7th, 2011, 17:48
I have FG 1 on my PC and tried to install FG 2. I did not want to remove FG 1 in case there were issues with FG 2. I keep getting the "Error Processing Package Manifest" error during install/update and then the "Could not load ruleset root file (base.xml)" error when I try to run it. Could it be because I have FG1 on my PC?

Thanks.

Moon Wizard
August 7th, 2011, 22:00
There are sometimes hiccups in the updater related to manifests, but it also might be an issue with trying to update all the way from FG1.

I would suggest downloading the installer from the Downloads section of the web site, and using the installer to install instead of the updater.

Regards,
JPG

unerwünscht
August 8th, 2011, 02:44
I had both FG1 and FG2 installed on my XP machine for a long time and never ran into any issues.

So I decided to test my Windows 7 machine by installing FG1 and everything still worked fine. However I then thought maybe I should try it on my work machine by installing FG1 first then FG2. FG2 did in fact give me xml errors. Tho the error I was getting was in graphics.xml

I uninstalled both Fantasy Grounds, and reinstalled FG2 and it worked fine. I have not had time to check through the reg files to see if there is a way to work around this issue. But honestly I think FG2 is FAR better than FG1, and well worth the upgrade.

ddavison
August 8th, 2011, 04:25
Sorry to say, but I don't actually have any familiarity with FG1. Moon_Wizard and I took ownership of the company in Oct 2009 and FG1 was already old at that point and no longer being actively supported. If a license key is shared by both FG1 and FG2 and they both had some interaction with the updater tool, then it would seem possible that they could conflict. All the files should already be in separate folders as far as I'm aware.

I sent you an email response just now I believe to give you some additional info, but will repeat here for completeness. Sometimes the first (or any large) update to FG2 has more difficulty completing. Retrying several times normally "fixes" it and then everything returns to normal. It's helpful to minimize any other Internet traffic during this time, avoid Facebook for possible port conflicts, etc.

Oberoten
August 8th, 2011, 22:03
FG 1 actually held it's license key in another registry entry.

I'd guess this is really more due to the fact how Windows7 automatically uses the Application data folder to store data and FG1 uses the program folder. I'd suggest installing it to another location than the program folder and doing so in Windows Xp compatibility mode.

- Obe