PDA

View Full Version : Portrait Dragging problem

ImpInTraining
August 6th, 2011, 14:49
I'm new, just installed the latest version yesterday with the Call of Cthulhu extension. I've been figuring out quite a bit by reviewing other people's posts with the same problem, but I couldn't find anything for this one.

I am having a problem filling my combat tracker. The "Using the Ruleset" information states I can drag the portrait from the character sheet to the combat tracker, but when I try, the whole sheet moves. The portrait still has Chaosium overlay as well, which I don't think should be there. I'll attach an image so you can see what I mean.

So if you can help me figure this out, I'd appreciate it.

Sorcerer
August 6th, 2011, 15:33
I can't see the attachment as it is still pending approval, but this is a bug.

I had not noticed it before, because I always drag the players portrait from the identity list at the top of the screen (where all logged in characters are displayed).

currently it appears the logo is being created after the portrait, and so it on top of it, making it impossible to drag the token from the character sheet.

The fix is quite simple, if you are up to a little bit of ruleset editing....

I'm not sure if the ruleset is now sold as a pak file or is still a folder in the rulesets folder, but if you locate the ruleset and find the file charactersheet_main.xml (you can open this in any text editor)

you will see, if you scroll down to line 171, the following

<!-- TOKEN PLACEHOLDER -->

<genericcontrol name="FullPortraitFrame">
<bounds>400,15,90,82</bounds>
<script file="scripts\charsheet_portrait.lua" />
</genericcontrol>
<genericcontrol name="logo">
<icon>cs_logo</icon>
</genericcontrol>

all you have to do is reverse the order of the two controls and it should work ie.

<!-- TOKEN PLACEHOLDER -->

<genericcontrol name="logo">
<icon>cs_logo</icon>
</genericcontrol>
<genericcontrol name="FullPortraitFrame">
<script file="scripts\charsheet_portrait.lua" />
</genericcontrol>

that will make the portrait be drawn last and thus be on top of the Chaosium logo and therefore accessible.

if you don't feel up to that, then the work around is to wait till the player logs in (or start a second instance of FG and log into your own game) and then drag the portrait as I already mentioned above.

hopefully someone will patch this (eventually)

ImpInTraining
August 6th, 2011, 16:57
Thanks for the detail... I'll give it a shot when I get home. Sounds easy enough of a fix. I'm setting this campaign to help me organize my play-by-post game, so no real players per say, although I have logged in as the players before. Just bugs me that I can't do what I'm supposed to be able to do with it.

cpbs
August 6th, 2011, 17:51
What you could do as a work around, if it works, is to login to your own game through another instance of Fantasy Grounds.

If you already have FGII up and running.

Go back to your desktop or wherever, and click on FGII. Another FGII window will open up.
Go to the Load Campaign button first and jot down your internal IP address, ie 192.168.x.x.
Now lick on the button that says Join Game
Enter a different name then the other one you use to host and input your internal IP address into the Host Address function
Then click Start at the bottom right.

This should bring up the option to create a new character, click that. The game should then load with a Unnamed icon in the top left. You should be able to see if from the Keepers screen as well. But you want to edit it with your newly open screen. Now with the newly opened FGII, go to the top right and click on the portraits icon (the one with the single person figure). Now choose the portrait you want for that character. Then start editing the character sheet from this window.

After you have edited it from that window or even before. You should be able to drag the circled portrait from the top left into the combat tracker with ease from the Keepers Screen, not the new instance of FGII..

See if that works.

cpbs

ImpInTraining
August 7th, 2011, 13:22
cpbs - I tried that first, but was having an issue that I've figured out it was just my ignorance. The combat tracker starts with one slot already in it, and when I was dragging and dropping into that one slot, none of the characters information was being imported with it. I found out that if I drag and drop in the character tracker but away from pre-created character slots, it brings the info in with it. Wasn't that intuitive at the time, but now it makes sense.

At any rate, I was trying what you said when I ran into that situation and just thought maybe I was going about it wrong. That's why I came on here to see if there was a fix.

BTW - there was. Sorcerer, I did what you said... worked like a charm. Thanks bud.

The only thing I need to figure out now is why is their combat details not being imported as well? I figured if it showed up on the mini detail, it should show up in the combat tracker, but none of my characters on the combat chart are showing any weapon details. I guess you have to manually add that stuff in, as it probably changes in each combat... which kind of makes sense too. Would be nice if you could click somewhere on the combat tracker, get a list of possible combat items (is he using his fist? revolver? knife? shotgun?) select the one that applies, and have it automatically put that in there for you. Maybe it does, for all I know... I'm still learning.

ImpInTraining
August 7th, 2011, 13:33
Ha, nevermind that last part... just figured it out.

Casimir
August 8th, 2011, 19:23
Could you explain what you figured out? I've been using the CoC ruleset for a while now - but as ironic as it sounds, I still have yet to actually get into a combat situation, so I'm not very familiar with the combat tracker and it's idiosyncrasies as yet.

ImpInTraining
August 8th, 2011, 22:07
When you open up the combat tracker, it has one blank person already added. If you drag and drop a character to that blank slot, it only moves their icon. If you drag and drop to the empty part of the combat tracker, it moves the character to the combat tracker. That first blank slot was messing me up. :)

The other thing I found out was that you can drag the weapon the character is using to his slot on the combat tracker and it will autofill the information for that weapon. I believe you can drag it either from the character sheet, or the mini sheet, or I imagine you could even get it from some other module resource.

Casimir
August 9th, 2011, 15:48
Ahh - gotcha. Yea, for me, whenever I'd put a character / npc in there, I'd delete that blank entry first.