PDA

View Full Version : Calender Improvements

cpbs
August 5th, 2011, 20:06
I am not trying to beat a dead horse or to step on any toes. Although I think this subject has been discussed in the past. I think it needs just a little bit of improvement, from a DM prospective.

In the past two months are so, I have had about 4-5 people sign up for my game on the calender. I have left it open for new players to join if they wanted to. Over this time period I have tried to contact these individuals through the PM service but no one has replied. I typically give them a week to respond and if they do not I delete their request to join the group.

Now I am all for having new people join my group, I love being able to show new members of the forums and the game the ins and outs of the Fantasy Grounds. But with their lack of communication, I am starting to wonder why they even ask to join if they do not reply to my messages.

So to try and solve this I had some ideas.
As the potential player presses the button to join a game from the calender page, they are sent to a PM message screen where they have to send the DM a message before they are allowed to request to be apart of the game. If they exit before sending the PM, then they are not placed on the calender page. Now I understand that not all games are created equal. Some DMs might not want people to PM them, so I was thinking this added feature could be a simple box to be checked when the DM is setting up the game in the calender page or could be edited later.
I do not know the hosting capacity of the Fantasy Grounds server but if this feature is added, then the max 50 messages (sent and received combined) might need to be increased.
Also the problem could be that people are not able to see that they have a private message. The only way to see that you have a new message is to read the small words at the top of the page that says (1 New Message), without any color difference to it. Maybe allowing this color to be red or blinking color, to catch peoples eyes might cut down on why people are not answering their PMs.

----------

Kind of a side note for the game calender. I was wondering if it is possible to also add the feature of allowing multiple DM's listed on the game calender. For some groups, me included, I like to be able to play sometimes but keep the campaign going. To visually show on the game calender who the next DM is going to be would be helpful.

Although I know most people use external messaging services to communicate, I still think that the website is still a good place to utilize these different features that it offers.

cpbs