PDA

View Full Version : 3.5E effects

Callum
August 5th, 2011, 14:07
In the 3.5E User Guide, there's a big table of Conditions, showing the Modifiers Applied for each. However, none of these actually appear in the Effects list when running FG2 - is this deliberate? Is the intention that each GM adds these to the list himself or herself?

Griogre
August 6th, 2011, 02:16
I would say that most DM's will not have to add many effects. That's because most monsters have the effects to drop on the characters and most players have effects to drop on the monsters. Thus, you will seldom need more than a handful of common effects on the campaign effect list.

It can be a problem adding all effects to a list just because you will only use a few so it will make it difficult to find those few you really need. You might try just playing a few games and adding an effect only when a player asks for it or when you need one.

Rashek
August 6th, 2011, 07:14
Not all spells have the effects setup correctly, for example, wizard 0 level spell DAZE does not have the DAZE effect conected to it, and when I added it I had a problem getting it to actually effect my target.

And as a DM how do I cast spells and add effects to PC from the NPC sheets? It does not have the nice spell casting options the Mini character sheets have :(, or am I missing something?

Moon Wizard
August 6th, 2011, 14:04
For spells the Dazed effect is added to the spell rolls, if the spell description contains the text "daze(s) one living creature", which matches the text in the SRD data. Since the dazed condition does not do anything specifically modifier-wise, just removes actions; I forgot to add it to the list of conditions.

Unfortunately, NPCs do not have a nice spell sheet and rolls like the players do. It was one of the features that I had to trim in order to get all the updates out in a reasonable amount of time. Since the NPCs never had spell management, it is a fair amount of work. Also, the SRD monster data is not written with spell statistics in the monster data, so all that would be available by default in the NPC spell lists would be level and spell name. So, there is a challenge because the data is sparse also.

One workaround that I've seen is to make NPC spellcasters as PCs, then take control as a GM using another client, and make them enemies when you add to the combat tracker. Otherwise, it's the same process as when you use spell casting NPCs at the game table now.

Regards,
JPG

Rashek
August 7th, 2011, 16:40
Ok next question, how do you run a second client? You use to be able to just start the program and join using "localhost" but when I tried that today it gave me a license conflict message?

Moon Wizard
August 7th, 2011, 22:10
I've been running 2 instances all weekend at Gencon, so I know that it works using localhost. You can also try 127.0.0.1, but it might give same results.

One situation I've found where this may not work is when running on Mac/Linux. For some reason, when running in Mac/Linux using Wine, it appears that the 2 instances think that they are running on different machines.

JPG

Rashek
August 10th, 2011, 05:40
Ok just tested it again, realized I pulled a rookie move, forgot to change my login name. I got it running :(