PDA

View Full Version : Best Practice Question - Character Management

Pikup
August 3rd, 2011, 02:58
With the latest patch I'm exploring the possibility of migrating my Pathfinder game to FG2. I've always liked the look/feel of FG, but it seems to take a fair amount of care and feeding to get up and going. I'd like to get some input from people who have run and participated in games on some of the more macro concepts.

First, Whats the best way to handle character management? I have a small group of players who often run more than one character at a time. Does it matter who loads the initial character sheets and where?

When I was testing the new patch it seemed that players on the lite client were not able to select from the images I placed in the /portraits folder. Is that expected? Do they need to have them loaded locally?

Pikup

Moon Wizard
August 3rd, 2011, 05:10
If you are talking about who controls the characters, then the players can choose unowned characters whenever they login, and additional characters during play. There is no limit on the number of characters one person can play. The GM can clear ownership of a character by right-clicking on the character in the character selection screen, and selecting Clear Owner.

For portraits, the portrait for each character can only be set when logging in as a player. If you want to set as the GM, start a second instance of FG, login to each character, and set the portrait for each. A copy of the portrait file is cached with the campaign.

Regards,
JPG

leozelig
August 4th, 2011, 00:36
You can also share your portrait files with the players (via dropbox or whatever). They will only be able to see the portraits that are in their 'portraits' folder. I have done it both ways, and if they don't care that much, moon_wizard's method is easier.

My players run multiple PCs occasionally. I think the only requirement beyond choosing the PCs is setting the active PC for the chat window, but I could be mistaken there. It runs very seamlessly in any case.

Cheers,
Z