PDA

View Full Version : Test Release 2.8.1

Moon Wizard
August 2nd, 2011, 21:06
As always, please make a backup of your campaign before opening with a test release.

This release will be a bug fix and patch release for v2.8, so make sure to report your issues. I may add minor features, but in general, I will be putting those off for even number releases.

Thanks again to the whole community for helping me get the new version tested before release. Given our limited resources, this helps us get the best application out the door.

Please see the sticky thread on public testing if you want to be involved. Only the Test mode slot contains this version. I will update this thread as I release new iterations of the test version.

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
August 2nd, 2011, 21:07
Improved handling of invalid XML and corrupted database files.
Vote selections not updating on GM screen. Fixed.
Mouse wheel not registering screen position correctly when FG maximized. Fixed.
[4E] Unable to add powers in local mode. Fixed.
[3.5E] Weapons with selectable damage types will show both damage types when initially added to character, instead of none.
[3.5E] Incorporeal creatures will resist non-magic, non-spell damage.
[3.5E] In PFRPG mode, damage rolls now do half damage to incorporeal targets, except force damage.
[3.5E] First square of diagonal movement is showing distance as 10, when tokens are locked. Fixed.
[3.5E] Script error on effects expiration when added from campaign effects list. Fixed.
[3.5E] Perception not highlighting in Senses field for PFRPG Bestiary entries. Fixed.
[3.5E] Strength effect modifiers being added to spell damage rolls. Fixed.
[3.5E] In PFRPG mode, memorization spell casters unable to choose 0-level spells for the day. Fixed.
[DEV] Fields named category or holder would cause database corruption. Fixed.

Dracenfels
August 3rd, 2011, 01:22
I tested the new patch but I'm still having the same trouble with the mouse. What do you need from me?

GeneralChaos
August 3rd, 2011, 02:20
Ability modifiers: Didn't have time test thoroughly, but mods applied directly to the character sheet sometimes aren't counted (in the modifier box).
E.G: A character with 12 STR wearing a belt of str +2 adds a +1 to the modifier to their STR mod.

*voting works in test, as above. >_<

Mysteran
August 3rd, 2011, 03:29
These bugs are both in test and release:

Voting: GM Cannot see replies - may only be when GM calls the vote

What I'm noticing on the current release build (2.8) is when a GM calls a vote, it doesn't update. If a player calls a vote after that, the player(s?) sees an empty vote window while the GM sees the normal vote circles.

I've noticed if the player calling that second vote clicks the empty window, their vote registers on the GM screen as a vote on the previous vote.

Moon Wizard
August 3rd, 2011, 05:04
Mouse issue (Dracenfels)
Some questions:
* Are you getting the issue for mouse clicks, mouse wheel or both?
* Can you verify that the software updated? It should say 2.8.1 on the launcher screen.

Voting (Mysteran/GeneralChaos)
Mysteran, the 2.8.1 beta should address.
GeneralChaos, are you sure that you are seeing the vote issue in 2.8.1? (verify on the launcher screen) If so, I will need more info.

Ability modifiers (GeneralChaos)
Which modifiers are you talking about? How are you modifying the Strength bonus? You mentioned effects specifically in your previous report.

Thanks,
JPG

GeneralChaos
August 3rd, 2011, 05:47
Oops. Voting is working in Test. Jumped the gun on that.

Just double checked the bug in depth
STR bonus to hit is not being added from Main sheet > Manual modifiers to the stat modifier box (EG. STR 22 | +6 - then mousewheeling the +6 to +7)

22 STR +6 = Falchion +21/+13/+8 2d4+20
22 STR +7 = Falchion +21/+13/+8 2d4+21 (damage went up, but not attack bonus)

It's OK on the skill sheet.
Same problem if you roll a STR check by double clicking the STR modifier.

Dracenfels
August 3rd, 2011, 06:21
[QUOTE=moon_wizard]Mouse issue (Dracenfels)
Some questions:
* Are you getting the issue for mouse clicks, mouse wheel or both? (Mouse Wheel)
* Can you verify that the software updated? It should say 2.8.1 on the launcher screen. (Verified)

Moon Wizard
August 3rd, 2011, 06:30
It looks like those modifiers got ignored in the rebuild, so they don't affect anything right now. I'll take a look at what it will take to re-enable them. For now, you will need to use the effects.

Thanks,
JPG

Blackfoot
August 4th, 2011, 16:01
The release looks really great. Most things seem to be running smoothly, we have our first full game in 2.8 tonight so if we run into anything I'll post it up.
From what I could see the PF spellbook module piece was going to be a big chunk so it's good that waited... but I'm looking forward to it. :)

I still think it would be nice to have the ability for the GM to be able to add portraits for pregenerated characters without having to open a second client window... that method seems like a kluge...

EDIT: I was testing some stuff in the release version using the PF option for 3.5 and hit this bug when pressing CAST for a spell:

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_action_spell.lua"]:424: attempt to call field 'handleApplySave' (a nil value)
I had one PC targeted on another PC both using the same client.

EDIT 2: I tested this in my GM's setup as well. Same result. Otherwise things ran very smoothly.

DanLal
August 5th, 2011, 20:20
I'm using the Skill Challenge table of course.

I typically roll a skill and then drag the result into the table.
Today I never succeeded in updating the table with the Nature Skill or any other except for Perception and Insight.

Am i doing something wrong? or is there a bug...

Moon Wizard
August 7th, 2011, 05:36
Dracenfels,

Currently you are the only one left with the mouse issue, so we need to find whatever is unique in your configuration that is causing the issue. I'm now using the built-in operating system functions I found to translate mouse wheel position into position within the FG window, so it should take into account all the desktop layout scenarios (multi-monitor, task bar, window borders, etc.). Any ideas what may be unique about your configuration?

Blackfoot,

Let me look into the script error after Gencon, and see if I need more info.

DanLal,

No one has reported any issues with the skill challenge tracker yet, so I'll have to investigate once I return from Gencon.

Thanks,
JPG

Dracenfels
August 8th, 2011, 05:38
I have no idea I went back to 2.8 and decided to play my game tonight on that version. We suffered from crash after crash. After exhausting all other options I tell everyone in the group to load up 2.8.1 we get on and are able to play without crashing but when I open all my combat encounters, story, and positioning on the map have all been changed in some kind of way or another. All my little thumbnails on some maps where gone, on others they were ok... Really frustrated. I went back to 2.8 after the game loaded up my week old saved file... updated to 2.8.1 opened my campaign file ...everything was altered again so it definitely has something to do with 2.8.1. When I tried going back to 2.8 the alterations remained. So now I can load up my last week's game but if I update to 2.8.1 poof campaign will be changed...so I don't know what to do.

Moon Wizard
August 9th, 2011, 01:15
Dracenfels,

I haven't heard from anyone else having the same issues as you are, so I think it might be something unique in your system, or in your campaign, causing the issues.

* What OS are you running?
* How much memory do you have on your machine?
* I assume you are running 4E ruleset, since you are using DrZ extensions.
* How many 4E modules are available in your module activation window? How many do you have open? Which ones?

The handling of the database between 2.8 and 2.8.1 should be almost identical, so not sure why one would crash and not the other.

Can you send a copy of your zipped-up campaign folder to [email protected]? Both the backup (2.8) and the one where things have changed around (2.8.1) would be great. I want to look at the campaign info and see if there is something specific causing the changes between version or the crashes.

Thanks,
JPG

PoisonAlchemist
August 9th, 2011, 09:52
In the Pathfinder ruleset dragging the whetstone into the character sheet magically turns it into a sledge.

Moon Wizard
August 9th, 2011, 18:21
Apparently, the whetstone was mis-linked in the original d20 and 3.5E modules, and just got propagated to the PF version. I'll update in the next release.

Cheers,
JPG

Sigurd
August 9th, 2011, 19:39
There goes my sledge selling business......

Moon Wizard
August 9th, 2011, 19:40
DanLal,

Now that I am back from Gencon, I tried the Skill Challenge Tracker. I was able to successfully drop rolls for all skills. One item to note is that the SCT will only accept skill rolls for SCT skills which have a non-zero DC value. If the DC field is blank, then the roll is not accepted.

Regards,
JPG

mallias
August 9th, 2011, 22:55
While running 2.8.1--which solved all of the mouse-related issues my group has been having with 2.8, thank you--with the 4E Enhanced Images and 4E Enhanced Encounters extensions, tokens dragged from the combat tracker to the map do not stay linked to the combat tracker (ie: they do not highlight as red or green and the reach indicator does not work).

This has just cropped up in 2.8.1 as this functionality was working perfectly in 2.8.

Zeus
August 10th, 2011, 09:12
While running 2.8.1--which solved all of the mouse-related issues my group has been having with 2.8, thank you--with the 4E Enhanced Images and 4E Enhanced Encounters extensions, tokens dragged from the combat tracker to the map do not stay linked to the combat tracker (ie: they do not highlight as red or green and the reach indicator does not work).

This has just cropped up in 2.8.1 as this functionality was working perfectly in 2.8.

I am not seeing this problem under v2.8.1 and the latest versions of the extensions. Pre-placement and token CT linked underlays still work fine.

Which versions of Enhanced Encounters and Enhanced Images are you running?

The latest versions are 4E Enhanced Encounters v1.1 and 4E Enhanced Images v1.2.

Can you disable the extensions and re-try your tests. Pre-placement of tokens should still work without 4E Enhanced Encounters, you just lose the 4E skin.

Also, do you get the same problem if you create a new campaign?

DanLal
August 10th, 2011, 12:53
DanLal,

Now that I am back from Gencon, I tried the Skill Challenge Tracker. I was able to successfully drop rolls for all skills. One item to note is that the SCT will only accept skill rolls for SCT skills which have a non-zero DC value. If the DC field is blank, then the roll is not accepted.

Regards,
JPG

I tried it again and it worked. By the way I had all skills with a DC. Its been on and off for me since the beginning. I tend to keep FGII open for a long time and I wonder if it has anything to do with that. I'm going to play around with it and see if I can find a pattern or something. On one occasion I remember that I drops a skill check for a player, rolled the same check and the table never took the check from that player again, but it accepted it from another. So I thought maybe the player is only allowed 1 check per round. Maybe closing the program and restarting it, clears something. I'll let you know if I find something.

mallias
August 10th, 2011, 13:53
I am not seeing this problem under v2.8.1 and the latest versions of the extensions. Pre-placement and token CT linked underlays still work fine.

Which versions of Enhanced Encounters and Enhanced Images are you running?

The latest versions are 4E Enhanced Encounters v1.1 and 4E Enhanced Images v1.2.

Can you disable the extensions and re-try your tests. Pre-placement of tokens should still work without 4E Enhanced Encounters, you just lose the 4E skin.

Also, do you get the same problem if you create a new campaign?

DrZeuss,

I'm running 4E Enhanced Encounters v1.1 and 4E Enhanced Images v1.2.

I disabled the extensions and the tokens and combat tracker worked the way they are supposed to. I started a new campaign with both extensions enabled and the tokens and combat tracker worked well there as well, so I suspect there is something wrong with the original campaign. I'll look into that.

However, I did notice something else. Without the 4E Enhanced extensions activated, I can use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out and the zoom is centered on the cursor. With the 4E Enhanced extensions activated, the zoom is centered on the top-left corner of the window.

[EDIT] ...after more experimenting...
After testing a number of different combinations, the culprit is definitely the 4E Enhanced Images extension. As mentioned before, for whatever reason, when the 4E Enhanced Images extension is active, the mouse wheel zoom centers on the top-left of the window rather than the cursor location. My guess is that it's related to whatever JPG did to resolve the mouse wheel location issue that cropped up in v2.8.

Zeus
August 10th, 2011, 14:46
DrZeuss,

I'm running 4E Enhanced Encounters v1.1 and 4E Enhanced Images v1.2.

I disabled the extensions and the tokens and combat tracker worked the way they are supposed to. I started a new campaign with both extensions enabled and the tokens and combat tracker worked well there as well, so I suspect there is something wrong with the original campaign. I'll look into that.

However, I did notice something else. Without the 4E Enhanced extensions activated, I can use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out and the zoom is centered on the cursor. With the 4E Enhanced extensions activated, the zoom is centered on the top-left corner of the window.

[EDIT] ...after more experimenting...
After testing a number of different combinations, the culprit is definitely the 4E Enhanced Images extension. As mentioned before, for whatever reason, when the 4E Enhanced Images extension is active, the mouse wheel zoom centers on the top-left of the window rather than the cursor location. My guess is that it's related to whatever JPG did to resolve the mouse wheel location issue that cropped up in v2.8.

Yes. Mouse wheel scrolling to the top left of the image instead of to the mouse pointer is a known issue. JPG is investigating.

However that doesn't explain the underlay issue. I can't reproduce that particular issue.

mallias
August 10th, 2011, 14:50
However that doesn't explain the underlay issue. I can't reproduce that particular issue.

Honestly, at the moment neither can I... I'll have to wait till later today to test the campaign with a couple of our players and see if I can pinpoint what's causing the issue, if it even happens again...

[EDIT]
It turns out that the cause of the underlay issue was not having the grid on the player layer. When the grid is set on the background or feature layers, the tokens behave as if they were not linked to the combat tracker.

Related to this, is having the ability to set a grid on each layer intentional? It seems to me that it would be best to have only one grid and set the grid on either the player or background layer... Also, when the grid is placed on the player layer--as it needs to be in order for the tokens to behave properly--it can not be seen on the feature or background layers, making it difficult to line images up...

Of course, this means this probably shouldn't be in this thread, but oh well...

Moon Wizard
August 10th, 2011, 19:54
Pushed an update last night, and pushed another one just now. This is the summary of both updates.

Intermittent crash when using Return To Launcher option. Fixed.
[4E] More feedback to GM when dropping numbers on SCT that are not added.
[3.5E] Added ability/CL multiple to spell damage and heals. (i.e. Harm, Heal, etc.)
[3.5E] Player description field always visible in item windows, regardless of identified state.
[3.5E] Temporary ability bonus modifiers on PC sheets were being ignored. Fixed.
[DEV] imagecontrol getViewpoint/setViewpoint functions were not correct when scrolling. Fixed.

Cheers,
JPG

Blackfoot
August 11th, 2011, 01:57
I don't know if this has been fixed in 2.8.1 or not.. but there seems to be an issue with the following situation. (We've seen it in two different games)

One player is absent so a second player loads up 2 characters... the first player arrives late .. the second player and then the GM releases the character for the first player to pick up... when he does he gets an error.
An icon with a big STOP SIGN that says ERROR shows up on top of the character selection.

EDIT: Closing the host down entirely seems to clear the problem... but..

Moon Wizard
August 11th, 2011, 06:51
When are you seeing the error?
* What ruleset are you seeing the error in?
* During loading bar in launcher?
* After character selection pops up?
* Where is the icon with the stop sign? Separate dialog box, or on character box, or somewhere else on character selection window?
* Is the character released by the first player before the second player logs in, or after?

Thanks,
JPG

Blackfoot
August 11th, 2011, 13:47
* When are you seeing the error? -- The error symbol shows up on top of the unselectable character.
* What ruleset are you seeing the error in? -- PF(3.5)
* During loading bar in launcher? -- No
* After character selection pops up? -- Yes
* Where is the icon with the stop sign? Separate dialog box, or on character box, or somewhere else on character selection window? -- Directly on top of the character to be selected... other characters may be selected.
* Is the character released by the first player before the second player logs in, or after? -- Initially the player logs in while the first player still controls the character. Afterwards it doesn't seem to matter what they do short of shutting the game down entirely. Last night he tried the following before giving up and making a temporary character:
Logging out entirely.
Clearing his campaign folders.
Updating FG.
Logging out both the first and second player.

Strangely enough... even though he cannot access the character with the stop sign. The 'late' player can access other characters and when he clicks his own character he takes ownership... (other players can't take his character afterwards unless the GM releases him again). Once the GM releases him again other Players can load the PC without issue but the 'late' player still cannot.

LuckyRob
August 11th, 2011, 17:34
As always, greatly appreciate your efforts.

I've got a request. On the inventory tab of the character sheet, do you think you could make it collapsible with the location? So for instance if I've got 15 items tucked into my backpack, I can click to expand or hide those contents under the backpack "heading". I.e.

- Backpack
Sewing Needle
Iron Rations
Iron Pot
Leather Armor

+ Backpack
Leather Armor

See what I mean? It would really help getting around on that section if you could.

Thanks!

Moon Wizard
August 11th, 2011, 19:09
Blackfoot, thanks for the additional info. Let me investigate.

LuckyRob, I'll add it to the wish list.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
August 11th, 2011, 20:52
Another beta v2.8.1 update:

Module override data was being ignored. Fixed.
[DEV] tokeninstance: Added functions for getPrototype, getImageSize
[DEV] subwindow: Added tag for fastinit
[DEV] windowcontrol: Added warning message for onScoll/onZoom recursion

Regards,
JPG

Zeus
August 11th, 2011, 22:51
What does the fastinit tag do for subwindows?

Moon Wizard
August 12th, 2011, 01:19
Just updated the reference docs for subwindow, even though the tag is only available in 2.8.1.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/subwindow.xcp

Cheers,
JPG

dr_venture
August 12th, 2011, 04:33
Hey Moon, don't know if this is useful, but what the heck.

I was all ready to write up a report that I was still seeing the mouse issue where the cursor was clicking on lines two higher than where the tip of mouse pointer actually was. It was a regular story document created through the FG UI. The top of the doc was fine, then about a 1/4 of the way down it got all cattiwumpus, with the mouse hot spot disconnected from the actual pointer. The I looked in the XML to copy & paste it into the bug report... then I found the problem!

I had previously inserted simple table in that text document via editing the code. But I didn't like how it looked and deleted the table by selecting the text in the UI and hitting the Delete key. Everything seemed fine via the UI... but when I looked at the XML, the 'table' and 'tr' tags had gotten left behind - no 'td' tags - and the whole document was now inside a malformed table. I deleted the bogus tags and the document worked fine - problem eliminated.

Obviously this is a pilot error issue on my part. I only mention it as the effect in the UI was the exact same thing I witnessed in earlier Dev versions of FG. I thought there might be an off chance that in earlier versions (or maybe current if anyone's still seeing this) that there could be some problem with malformed tags - especially where a table is involved - might be the culprit.

Moon Wizard
August 12th, 2011, 05:11
Another minor refresh. The last one before I go on vacation. My Internet access will be limited, but I will try to check in occasionally.

[DEV] tokeninstance.getOrientation returning extra nil value. Fixed.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
August 12th, 2011, 05:13
dr_venture,

So you had manually entered table data into the XML, and then deleted the table data through the interface? Then, you started seeing mouse alignment issues only within that story window?

Thanks,
JPG

dr_venture
August 12th, 2011, 05:22
Moon: Yes, that's it precisely. After I deleted the table data through the UI and edited the page data for a while, I wound up with all of the page's data in a table that looked like this:

<table>
<tr>
[ALL TABLE CONTENT WAS HERE
XML FORMATTING LOOKED FINE HERE
NOTE THE ABSCENCE OF '<td> TAGS.]
</tr>
</table>

The mouse problems cleared up immediately when I removed the bad table tags. Also note, if you're trying to recreate this, that it was a fairly long page, containing an entire character class worth of spell listings (C&C). The mouse issues mysteriously only occurred on the bottom 3/4 or so of the page.

Moon Wizard
August 12th, 2011, 05:26
It's probably not something I'm going to have time to look at for v2.8.1, but I'll put it on the list of known issues.

Thanks,
JPG

dr_venture
August 12th, 2011, 05:34
Cool - deleting tables via the UI seems very much like a corner case. I just figured that it might be helpful knowledge if the mouse issue pops up again. This had nothing to do with the mouse wheel, BTW, just clicking.

Blackfoot
August 12th, 2011, 13:46
We noticed an issue several times in our game where the dice game up with one value but the result was actually something else.
D6 rolled a 6 on the graphic for the die but printed:
Roll=2
Or some other variation of this... it happened with different types of dice and different values.

joshuha
August 12th, 2011, 14:15
We noticed an issue several times in our game where the dice game up with one value but the result was actually something else.
D6 rolled a 6 on the graphic for the die but printed:
Roll=2
Or some other variation of this... it happened with different types of dice and different values.

Are you by chance using the resizable chat window thing?

Blackfoot
August 13th, 2011, 00:30
Are you by chance using the resizable chat window thing?
Nope. We were using 3.5E 2.8v with the PF switch on.

Sigurd
August 13th, 2011, 02:25
I think there has always been the occasional discrepancy between the graphic dice and the chat window dice.

We play that the chat window always trumps graphics.

S

Blackfoot
August 13th, 2011, 02:27
I think there has always been the occasional discrepancy between the graphic dice and the chat window dice.

We play that the chat window always trumps graphics.

S
I believe I've seen it before as well... but it's still out there.

We went with the text being final as well. (it's easier to prove)

Zeus
August 13th, 2011, 13:51
@moon_wizard: I am still seeing a pointer offset issue when selecting text or positioning the cursor with the mouse in a stringfield where the <center /> tag is in use under the latest 2.8.1 test build. Effectively the pointer is offset by the amount of the centering offset.

Oberoten
August 13th, 2011, 23:11
Runtime Error: D3dXcreateTexture failed - D3DPOOL_MANAGED

Crashed out of FG.

- Obe

gmkieran
August 16th, 2011, 19:15
RE: the graphic dice not matching the reported roll - this is a long-time issue, but I've definitely noticed it happening more in v2.8. It was really bad back in 2.4-6, but improved throughout 2.7. Mechanically tt's completely insignificant, but it's a serious morale blow to see that 20 land and have a 5 pop up in the chat. ;) We never questioned which to go with, though, because FG obviously bases all of its math off the reported roll, not the graphics. Still, it'd be nice if they could be synced back up.

Moon Wizard
August 17th, 2011, 17:17
Centering offset (DrZ)
It should be easy to pinpoint this with the information you gave me. I think that centered strings were originally designed to be read-only by the original developers, so I'm not surprised.

D3D error and crash (Oberoten)
I think that this occurs when Fantasy Grounds is minimized when new graphics are loaded into memory. This is most likely the reason why minimize was disabled originally, though I didn't have any notes as to why it was. Avoid minimizing FG during startup and player logins. I may end up disabling minimize again to prevent this issue.

3D dice vs. output (Multiple)
When dice are thrown in the chat window, the dice throw (direction and speed) are sent to all the machines for the physical dice simulation to run. However, you will only get the same results every time if the chat window is the same fixed size on all screens.

Whenever the chat window sizes vary, like they do with the 3.5E and 4E rulesets, you may see discrepancy between the physical roll and the final result. The machine making the roll will take priority in determining the actual roll results. The dice code that handles double-click dice rolling was tweaked so that most dice rolls will originate in upper part of dice window to minimize this issue. If dice rolls are thrown into the window, this is more likely to occur.

By the way, a resizable chat window will make this even worse, since the width of the chat window is still fixed currently.

Regards,
JPG

Zeus
August 17th, 2011, 17:24
Centering offset (DrZ)
It should be easy to pinpoint this with the information you gave me. I think that centered strings were originally designed to be read-only by the original developers, so I'm not surprised.

Be advised that the offset issue may have more to do with whether FGII is running full screen verses running in a window than it has to do with the <center /> tag being used. Not sure, as I have yet to conclusively test all scenarios where I have seen this occurring.

Moon Wizard
August 17th, 2011, 17:52
Since I don't believe that I'm using centered stringfields in either of the rulesets I provide, which extension are you using these in so I have a quick test case?

Thanks,
JPG

Zeus
August 17th, 2011, 18:19
I actually discovered it accidentally whilst building 4E Fortune Cards. I'll zip up a version and send you the latest dev build.

As the extension doesn't include any card data, you will have to create a card or two to see the problem.

Moon Wizard
August 30th, 2011, 23:43
New update today.

Released characters would sometimes show error icon when requested by a new player. Fixed.
Mouse click and drag on centered multi-line string fields was not positioning correctly. Fixed.
[DEV] Compatibility added to prevent onValueChanged event from triggering on setValue calls for non-DB numbercontrols.
[3.5E] Spells from module spell lists can be dragged to any link field.
[3.5E] Modifier stack not updating correctly when manually adjusting modifier after other modifiers already added. Fixed.
[3.5E] Disable Device skill incorrectly using Intelligence as skill modifier when in PF mode. Fixed.
[3.5E] Campaigns converted from old 3.5E would show double skill entries for multi-word skill names. Fixed.
[3.5E] Spells parsed while sheet open on host and client would not synchronize correctly. Fixed.
[3.5E] 0-level spells not showing in standard spell mode when not prepared for memorization casters. Fixed.
[4E] Add DMGTYPE effect

Cheers,
JPG

Moon Wizard
August 31st, 2011, 22:18
Another minor update

Additional information added to network logging for database and file transactions.

JPG

dr_venture
September 3rd, 2011, 19:34
I haven't seen this posted anywhere, but with the latest 2.8.1 I cannot open a 2nd instantiation of FG to use as a player. The first instantiation is fine, but the 2nd immediately throws a long list this error:

Runtime Error: D3DXCreateTexture failed - D3DPOOL_MANAGED

...followed by a FG window that is mostly white & looks like it has had confetti tossed all over it... it's quite festive! Sometimes I'll also get a crash dialog.

dr_venture
September 4th, 2011, 17:30
Just installed the new version that popped up last night, and the festive confetti bug has gone away - I can now launch & log in with a 2nd instantiation of FG.

Pīke
September 5th, 2011, 07:58
In the 3.5E ruleset the "Handaxe" weapon is linked to "Axe, throwing".

Moon Wizard
September 6th, 2011, 01:07
Another update:

Disabled minimize option, since it causes graphics initialization issues and crashes.
[3.5E] Added PFRPG Spells module
[3.5E] Updated PFRPG Basic Rules module to point to PFRPG Spells, as well as adding lists for Arcane Schools and Bloodlines linked from the appropriate classes.
[3.5E] Updated 3.5E Spells so that links within spell descriptions to other spells now work.
[3.5E] Fixed handaxe link in 3.5E and PFRPG Basic Rules.

Cheers,
JPG

DanLal
September 6th, 2011, 12:18
in 3.5e, could the SLOWED condition be removed and replaced with Hasted (ATK:+1;AC:+1;SAVE:+1 reflex)

Moon Wizard
September 6th, 2011, 22:39
Very minor update. My plan is to push update tomorrow.

[4E] When adding NPCs to combat tracker, resist all not being handled. Fixed.

JPG

Dracenfels
September 7th, 2011, 18:58
I've been getting this script error:

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_rules.lua"]:864: attempt to index local 'rCreature' (a nil value)

when ever I'm in the powers tab of an NPC and I double click the damage for it.

I never had this problem before.

Leonal
September 15th, 2011, 06:25
Can this thread be used for 2.8.1 issues?

[3.5/PF]
My players very much like to use the ability/attribute damage windows both for damage and for bonuses, but in the current version any modifications below 0 to represent a bonus are reset to 0 when pressing enter.

Additionally ranged weapons have a max amount of 20 ammo, even if you can type higher and actually see more circles pop up they also get reset to 20. One can of course add remaining ammo in the inventory, but the 20 limit seemed a bit forced.

Thanks!

DanLal
September 22nd, 2011, 19:00
I tried it again and it worked. By the way I had all skills with a DC. Its been on and off for me since the beginning. I tend to keep FGII open for a long time and I wonder if it has anything to do with that. I'm going to play around with it and see if I can find a pattern or something. On one occasion I remember that I drops a skill check for a player, rolled the same check and the table never took the check from that player again, but it accepted it from another. So I thought maybe the player is only allowed 1 check per round. Maybe closing the program and restarting it, clears something. I'll let you know if I find something.

OK i can reproduce a situation with the Skill Challenge. If i roll a Skill and dump it on the Skill Challenge table. It updates!
If i add a bonus to the character sheet, i.e. SKILL:+2 Intimidate and roll intimidate and put the resul in the table it works.
If i simply add +2 to the modifier stack and then roll Intimidate, and drag the results on the table, it doesn't work. (Its when the Aid another situation comes up)

Moon Wizard
September 24th, 2011, 18:33
Leonal,

This thread is fine, or you can start new threads in the House of Healing or Laboratory.

The ability damage was specifically limited, since negative damage is not technically possible. You can change the ability modifier directly by using your mouse wheel, or use an effect to modify an attribute. What are you using it to track? (It might make sense to remove the zero limit for flexibility.)

The ammo was always limited to 20 in the original d20 ruleset. It's because it is tied to the checkboxes, and there are only space for 20 spots assumed.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
September 24th, 2011, 18:34
Danlal,

Thanks for the report. I think that will help me identify.

Regards,
JPG

Leonal
September 25th, 2011, 00:47
The ability damage was specifically limited, since negative damage is not technically possible. You can change the ability modifier directly by using your mouse wheel, or use an effect to modify an attribute. What are you using it to track? (It might make sense to remove the zero limit for flexibility.)

Moon,

Thanks for the reply,
Basically we use it to track the usage of belts and headbands (or other items) which boost ability scores like a headband of vast intelligence or the like. Given that you can mouse wheel it higher, there is generally no need for a negative modifier. You can get items which boost your stat by an odd number which isn't reflected if you just adjust the modifier, but I have never seen it in use.

-Leonal

Callum
September 28th, 2011, 16:13
Basically we use it to track the usage of belts and headbands (or other items) which boost ability scores like a headband of vast intelligence or the like. Given that you can mouse wheel it higher, there is generally no need for a negative modifier.l
Yes, I used to use negative ability damage for that purpose as well. But since the effects system in v2.8 handles all that sort of thing so much better, I've stopped doing it.

Leonal
September 28th, 2011, 22:06
Yes, I used to use negative ability damage for that purpose as well. But since the effects system in v2.8 handles all that sort of thing so much better, I've stopped doing it.

That is true, but effects AFAIK are tied to the combat-tracker and are under GM's control, while in my group(s) we prefer players to be in full control of what happens to their character. (i.e. I don't really use effects on them, but rather let them adjust the values affected)

Blackfoot
September 29th, 2011, 03:16
honestly.. you are talking about two different things with this short term vs long term effects thing.
Items like headbands or belts that increase stats don't work nearly as well with effects as you don't want them accidentally getting cleared with a 'remove all effects' wave from the GM. Whereas short term spell effects are handled quite well with the new system.. it's really cool.

Trenloe
September 29th, 2011, 04:20
honestly.. you are talking about two different things with this short term vs long term effects thing.
Items like headbands or belts that increase stats don't work nearly as well with effects as you don't want them accidentally getting cleared with a 'remove all effects' wave from the GM. Whereas short term spell effects are handled quite well with the new system.. it's really cool.

Is that a feature request then? To have the ability to tie effects to items and if they're equipped (perhaps a check box to show this) the effects are always on and aren't cleared by a "remove all effects" wave???

Blackfoot
September 29th, 2011, 05:17
Is that a feature request then? To have the ability to tie effects to items and if they're equipped (perhaps a check box to show this) the effects are always on and aren't cleared by a "remove all effects" wave???
no no... I'm just saying that... using the 'negative damage' and 'effects' have two different purposes.

Trenloe
September 29th, 2011, 05:22
no no... I'm just saying that... using the 'negative damage' and 'effects' have two different purposes.

Really?!? I think it's a great idea for a feature request! :)

I do hear you about the simplicity of applying negative damage for statistic bonuses too...

Callum
September 29th, 2011, 15:02
That is true, but effects AFAIK are tied to the combat-tracker and are under GM's control, while in my group(s) we prefer players to be in full control of what happens to their character. (i.e. I don't really use effects on them, but rather let them adjust the values affected)
We've used "Add Spell Class" to create a "Magic Item" section in the Actions tab of each player's character sheet. You can then manually create new "spells" to hold the effects for their items, allowing them to apply these themselves. This also works for feats, class abilities, etc.

But for stat increase items to work properly, they have to stack correctly with other effects. Using negative damage doesn't do this - you can have -6 Int damage, representing your Headband of Intellect, and also get +4 on your Int from having Fox's Cunning cast on you. Whereas if these are both INT enhancement effects in FG, they won't stack.

I never use "Clear All Effects"; there's a "Clear Expiring Effects" that does the job. But it would be nice to have some sort of "long-term" toggle to stop all those effects clogging up the Combat Tracker.

I've sort of requested that (at least its initial stage) in my thread here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15302

Blackfoot
September 29th, 2011, 19:01
OK.. I'm confused now... does the spell 'fox's cunning' when operating as an effect on a character actually do something aside from represent that the character has the spell on them currently in this release??
Most of those spells didn't seem to have 'effects' attached to them... I need to look at this again. My understanding that the only way to make this actually 'work' on your sheet was to use the negative damage adjustment or fudge other numbers.

There are tons of ramifications to some spells... you can't really code them all. My character in one game currently has 'reduce person' operating on him... as well as several other enhancements... but reduce person alone alters his damage dice as well as several ability scores and ... well.. you get the idea.
All that can really be expected of the software is to have some way of representing the values correctly when you go to roll... if it's easier to do .. that's great.. but the important part is actually being able to roll the right numbers at any given time. Ultimately the GM and players need to get a little involved... unless you are playing a simpler game with much more restricted options.

Callum
September 30th, 2011, 14:02
Sorry, I didn't mean to cause confusion! The spells don't have these sorts of effects built in to them, as far as I'm aware. But if you've added an effect "INT: 4 enhancement" to Fox's Cunning, then it will affect all rolls depending on Int made by the character that it's been applied to. And if you have, then you'll want that to stack correctly with your Headband of Intellect, so you'll want the magic item to have a similar effect associated with it.

I agree that there are loads of outcomes from spells and items that can't be coded by effects. But most of the ones associated with dice rolls can be coded, and if you're going to do some of them, you really need to do all of them, so that the stacking and calculation is all done for you. Of course, you'll still have to remember the stuff that falls outside the effects system, but at least your mental workload has been reduced.

Incidentally, I'd go with "DEX: 2 size; STR: -2; ATK: 1 size; AC: 1 size" as an effect for Reduce Person. That doesn't cover the changes to weapon damage, of course, but it handles quite a few things.

vaasa
October 18th, 2011, 08:57
Hello all,

my first time posting to this forum, I was making my own Bestiary mod in 3.5 and have an Orc wielding a Greataxe, I made an effect for when it goes into a rage which has a "DMG: +3 melee" to it. I only want the +3 damage to apply to melee skills, if I write the XML code like this the damage is applied:

Greataxe +6 melee (1d12+6)

If I write it the way I want, like this, it is ignored:

Greataxe +6 melee (1d12+6/x3)

I assume it is because of the (x3) a weapon with "(1d8/18-20)" works, but not the x3.

Thank You
Vaasa

Moon Wizard
October 18th, 2011, 22:11
Thanks for the report. I was able to reproduce, and a patch will be in the next release (v2.8.2). It's related to the x3 or x4 in the monster damage roll.

Regards,
JPG

Blackfoot
October 30th, 2011, 01:15
Ok.. I'm trying to get this to work correctly and I'm still having a little trouble.

I'm building 'Ray of Enfeeblement' and the effect should be 1d6+1/LVL STR damage from the spell for 1 round/LVL that all seems fairly straight forward but when I do it as an 'effect' it doesn't understand dice and when I do it as 'damage' it seems to want to cause HP damage to the character.
What am I doing wrong?
I used this effect line: Ray of Enfeeblement; STR: 1d6+1
and I also tried this damage:
1d6+1 with several different types.. none of which seem to work...
[str]
str
strength
ability:str
ability:strength
abil:str

Phystus
October 31st, 2011, 14:56
It appears dice aren't supported for ability damage effects.

That might be a good item for the wishlist, though. Are there other spells that do variable ability damage?

~P

Blackfoot
November 13th, 2011, 20:19
While it is really cool that the PF and 3.5 rulesets autoroll crit confirmations for you... is there any way to build in bonuses that apply only to confirmation rolls?
There are a number of feats and traits that enhance crit confirmation rolls for specific attacks.
Such as Critical Focus or Anatomist.

madman
November 16th, 2011, 04:36
I believe you can add it as an Effect "CC"

But That is the only way I know of.

Madman

Blackfoot
November 28th, 2011, 13:36
Is there a way to switch into PF mode while in Manage Characters? If not it would be a nice addition for a future update... this skills mess up and you get errors when switching to that tab.

Dershem
November 28th, 2011, 16:28
Instead of just an ability damage frame, can we make it ability adjustments with the "ability" ;p to add buffs or damage? (3.5 / PF)

Thanks!

madman
November 28th, 2011, 17:18
Have a player who gets a trait bonus to concentration checks but I cant figure out a way to change it.

anybody have thoughts on this.

Chris

Dershem
November 28th, 2011, 17:20
Also a Problem with Effects in the pathfinder ruleset, see thread here.. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15658

Thanks

Callum
November 28th, 2011, 21:33
Have a player who gets a trait bonus to concentration checks but I cant figure out a way to change it.

anybody have thoughts on this.
SKILL: 2 trait, concentration

Trenloe
November 28th, 2011, 21:49
SKILL: 2 trait, concentration

Note: this works fine for 3.5E as Concentration is a skill in 3.5E. This does not work for Pathfinder as it is no longer a skill in Pathfinder - just based on class level and class ability.

Dershem
November 28th, 2011, 22:15
Wouldn't the easiest thing to do is add it as a custom skill? Get a rank every level?

Can you currently add custom skills to the ruleset?

Trenloe
November 28th, 2011, 22:21
Wouldn't the easiest thing to do is add it as a custom skill? Get a rank every level?

Can you currently add custom skills to the ruleset?

Good idea - you could add it as a custom skill (right-click in skills a select "Create"). But, then you would have to avoid using the "CC" button on your spell class in actions - which could cause confusion for some players (I know it would for one of mine)...

Dershem
November 28th, 2011, 22:26
I never knew it was there.... obviously the best then would be a fix for there, then in the mean time having the option to add as a skill may work for those strange bonuses...

Blackfoot
November 28th, 2011, 22:32
Seems like there is plenty of room for a modifier box on the caster class area where the stat and DC bonuses are set.

kdietri
December 29th, 2011, 22:32
3.5 request.

Currently, any damage that is placed into a spell automatically gets the spell damage type.

Is it possible that that could be removed, or at least have an option so it's not automatically spell damage type?

kdietri
December 30th, 2011, 16:51
3.5 Request

I would love to see a range dial, or slider in the modifiers window. This came up as a primarily throwing character joined the group and he's constantly trying to figure out range penalties.

The slider/dial could go from 1-10, the default setting would be +0, and each setting beyond applies a cumulative -2 to the attack. It would speed things up a lot in our group.

Just an idea