PDA

View Full Version : Go Fer Yer Gun!

dr_venture
August 2nd, 2011, 05:23
In case some folks aren't aware of this (I just stumbled upon it), there is an old west makeover for C&C called Go Fer Yer Gun! that is available for free (always a good price) over at DriveThruRPG. It's not totally perfect, but it it is pretty well done and gets me most of the way to where I want to be for Old West gaming. It's a very simple task to go from the fantasy to western genre with GFYG. Toss in some vampires & zombies, and you've got your Wierd West type game.

This & Sorcerer's next ruleset update will finally get me to just abandon that simple Sidewinder: Recoiled ruleset I put together and stay with C&C for everything. And it'll give me an excuse to make an extension out of my old west theme for C&C.

Saddle up, son - that good-for-nothing horse thief is heading across the flats towards Shovel Creek. We gotta make sure he dies of lead poisoning before he gets there!

Sorcerer
August 2nd, 2011, 15:23
interesting, I looked for this just recently on Driverthru and could not find it...

looks like it would be quite easy for some enterprising person to make as an extension for the C&C ruleset. I am currently trying to reorganize some of the database files in order to make it easier for people to customize, its giving some problems at the moment, but should be worth it in the end.

Not sure how that would pan out legally, in terms of public distribution, probably better to contact Beyond Belief Games before going down that route.
but for private use that's obviously not a problem.

dr_venture
August 2nd, 2011, 21:35
Oh, we both know who you're talking about! And you're right, or course.

The quick link in anyone wants it: Go Fer Yer Gun! at DriveThruRPG (https://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=19438&it=1)

Does it really even need an extension? I think that the only place it differs from core C&C is the items and character classes. It also uses the optional rule in the CKG of having 2 primary stats, 2 secondary stats, and 2 tertiary (i.e., normal) stats. Maybe the extra column of radio buttons for secondary stats on the main character page could be implemented via an extension? That's an option I'm interested in using in my normal C&C game anyway. I assumed I'd just put the rulebook info into a module. And of course I figured I'd put my old west theme into an extension, too. So with the theme extension and the GFYG! module, you'd be all set to play westerns fo free!

I would actually like to contact Beyond Belief, but as far as I can tell, they are also "beyond contact." Even their web site has no contact info on it, so I can't tell from whom I need to ask permission (assuming I wrote that properly). So I figured it'd be yet another module I can't really freely share with anyone, like my OGL/d20 spells module.

Sorcerer
August 2nd, 2011, 21:44
no of course it doesn't have to be an extension, you can play as is.

I was just indicating that if you wanted all the bells and whistles you could make some modifications. I was thinking modifications to the data tables holding class related stuff such as XP which could be adjusted to match that of the classes in the book. Obviously if you enter a class which is not recognized the ruleset moves into "manual mode" so you could put in whatever you want without adjusting the C&C data.

Graphical makeovers on the other hand are probably better done in an extension, then you can switch between genres at the click of a button.

dr_venture
August 2nd, 2011, 22:00
Ah, what you propose is the coolest way to do it... but the technical side of it frightens me, so I was looking at the 'simple but functional' solution. Perhaps when the new C&C version is out and there is a bit more time to focus on other projects, I'll bend your ear a bit as to how to put together a proper extension... which would indeed be very cool!