PDA

View Full Version : Server Hosting Option

Iceman
August 1st, 2011, 15:58
I would love to see a server hosting option for FG. Just about everyone has access to free web hosting these days through their ISP and when the program has to upload all campaign files to each player it can get extremely slow. If, when I was connected to FG as DM/Host, the program would direct connecting players to my server address for the files then their downloads would be MUCH faster. Call it Cloud Based FG Play!

As for the latest 2.8 upgrade - AWESOME! Of course you realize this raises the bar for all future updates..........

drahkar
August 1st, 2011, 18:32
A dedicated server install would be an interesting direction to take. Though I suspect it would be a major undertaking as currently GM is the local user and everyone is players. It would likely require rebuilding all of the code related to logins and account management.

Still, I could definitely see benefits to it. Especially when it comes to trying to host games. I know a lot of people, myself included, that have dedicated server space on a high speed connection that their home connection couldn't touch.

cpbs
August 1st, 2011, 18:39
It would be cool to be able to login into a hosted account as an admin/GM, give my password that would allow me to host the game. Im port any of my .mod files, possibly liked to my computer as a local host. Then allow other player to join as well.

joshuha
August 1st, 2011, 18:54
A server hosting option or something similar (with just the ability to host file but still have the session from the GM PC) would probably be needed before we get broad media support. Streaming MP3s, videos, etc. can eat up bandwidth when hosted from a normal home connection.

Moon Wizard
August 1st, 2011, 20:48
The challenge is, that from a business perspective, the primary motivation for taking on such a major rework is to create a hosted solution running on SmiteWorks servers. However, due to the overhead of owning and maintaining servers, it would need to be a subscription service, which has been something that the community has been very vocal against.

Cheers,
JPG

joshuha
August 1st, 2011, 20:56
Actually what I was discussing in my last post may be different since I am only referring to hosted media resources that could just be HTTP links in the module/etc. and thus not rely on any sort of upload and only download for requested resources (maps, tokens, shared modules, eventually music/animations/videos). That scenario would not rely on any Smiteworks servers.

Sigurd
August 1st, 2011, 21:45
It would be logical to have a secretary client.

Ideally the dm would be able to look at his players connection speeds and find the best choice. Then the DM might take larger files or infrequent files and offload them to that player.

Either that or the program might adopt some sort of torrent structure to speed updates.

damned
August 2nd, 2011, 06:42
from a business perspective i would think that despite community objections a subscription of some sort is inevitable. you cant just keep doing ongoing upgrade support ad infinitum for the prices you charge - at least not with a sustainable business model.
of course the flip side is there are quite a few members of your community who really contribute to the product in a big way - often completely free. subscriptions would penalise them.
and the other problem would be people who choose not to upgrade because of the subscription model and you end up with (at least) 2 sets of incompatible clients.
just my 10c worth (we're talking about phasing out the 5c coin here).

Sigurd
August 2nd, 2011, 07:48
I think the business perspective for a small company making responsive software is far worse for the subscription model.

Subscriptions mean terms of service and upkeep\overhead for the central server. Letting the purchasers use their own machines is way way simpler for a company that really should be concentrating on great, responsive software. Especially when a large portion of their customer base is deeply critical of the subscription model and more loyal because this is good networking.
I write a great scenario I play it with who I choose.

I don't expect a huge game or universal game to be very interesting.

RKBrumbelow
August 2nd, 2011, 23:08
From a technical perspective it should be easy enough to Install a copy remotely and use a remote client like citrix or vnc to run the GM side. TO make it even easier for hosting, a remote GM client could work also.

I suspect from a licensing situation however I am not certain. Abuse could certainly happen easily. Example I could put an ultimate license on a server and rent out the license to other people. At the same time though I could do that now if I had a fat enough pipe to do it.