PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Wikis

Tisben
August 1st, 2011, 01:55
Hi Y'all,

I'm looking for various opinions on using Wiki's for your game campaigns.

What sites or software do you use?
Are there some I should stay away from?
Do any of you host the Wiki yourself? If so is it fairly easy?

Thanks,

Tis

Fenloh
August 1st, 2011, 05:55
Hi,

i host a Tikiwiki for my SR4 Campaigns. Its fairly easy to setup, you have categories that you can restrict for certain usergroups and it is easy to administrate.

It is sometimes a bit slow, but mostly becaus it needs a wee bit more power then an old pentium :).

Fenloh

Trenloe
August 1st, 2011, 06:21
I use Obsidian Portal for tracking an ongoing campaign. You can get a free account and do quite a lot with that, the main things a paid account gives is forums, calendar, more maps and increased storage.

For free you still get a decent Wiki, character details (PCs and NPCs), adventure blogs, campaign items and 2 maps. Plus the ability to hide GM info on each entry, secret entries for players and a few othe nice things...

I haven't really tried any other RPG specific wikis so don't know how good or bad this is compared to them. I've used generic wikis and Obsidian Portal is more RPG orientated so you can get up and running fairly quickly.

Spoiler if you're playing the Pathfinder Carrion Crown adventure path:

Check my campaign site and have a look around... (https://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/carrion-crown-fg)

Leonal
August 1st, 2011, 06:52
Nice page Trenloe, I'll check how your group fares before I start my own campaign since my Kingmaker one is about to finish.

[Internet police nitpick]I wouldn't use non-CUP maps and images on a publicly available campaign if you want to be on Paizo's good side.[/Internet police nitpick]

Trenloe
August 1st, 2011, 06:56
[Internet police nitpick]I wouldn't use non-CUP maps and images on a publicly available campaign if you want to be on Paizo's good side.[/Internet police nitpick]

Oops, yes Leonal, you're right - I've seen your Kingmaker maps on the Campaign Cartographer forums and the discussion re community use on the Paizo messageboards - I've added the appropriate wording to Campaign Cartographer maps I've created for Carrion Crown, but forgot to add them to the Obsidian Portal webpage. Thanks for the reminder... :)

Leonal
August 1st, 2011, 07:04
Oops, yes Leonal, you're right - I've seen your Kingmaker maps on the Campaign Cartographer forums and the discussion re community use on the Paizo messageboards - I've added the appropriate wording to Campaign Cartographer maps I've created for Carrion Crown, but forgot to add them to the Obsidian Portal webpage. Thanks for the reminder... :)

You're welcome. :)
I'm a huge fan of Paizo's art and maps, but I know they're not fond of people sharing images that are not on their blogs or otherwise been allowed for sharing.

(That said I wish they would allow their maps to be shared outside of private games for convenience sake.)

Edit: Sorry for the thread jack.
I use EpicWords.com for one of my campaigns and GoogleDocs and email for another.

joshuha
August 1st, 2011, 15:30
I have to give another vote for Obsidian Portal. Its well organized enough that I thought it was worth the paid account and its a one stop shop. Place for logs, a wiki, place for character sheets, maps, forum, a calendar so people can confirm, etc.

Nestor
August 1st, 2011, 21:19
using wikidot for mine

3 different security lvls
forums (granted they are just a supped up wiki page)

I toyed around with Obsidian Portal, but came back to wikidot just for the generality

Tisben
August 2nd, 2011, 03:24
Thanks everybody,

Tis

Griogre
August 4th, 2011, 20:02
I use/have used Obsidian Portal and Wikidot - both have their strengths. However, for sheer simplicity it is hard to beat a private Yahoo or Google Group. You can have one up an running in literally a minute.

Tisben
August 5th, 2011, 04:06
Thanks,

I hadn't thought of that.

Tis

Acroyear
August 5th, 2011, 21:59
obsidianportal.com is what I use

Doc_Waldo
August 6th, 2011, 08:23
I use Epic Words (https://www.epicwords.com/FGEncoutners. I have used obsidian portal, but found Epic Words to be a little easier and a little more functional, albiet it is not as nice looking as Obsidian. It have great, calendar function with accept, reject, etc., HP and treasure tracker, wiki build in, along with form for posting, with the ability to utilize sub-posting. Also has a journal section, with the ability to post without anyone but the poster editing. Also, characters may be uploaded, etc. You can make multiple campaigns, along with gaming groups.

You can also make it look pretty good if you spend the time...and a little effort.

Doc.