PDA

View Full Version : [2.8] Problems with tokens for players

neilgfoster
July 31st, 2011, 18:40
I have upgrade to version 2.8.0 and am observing an issue with tokens contained within a ruleset.

While the GM is able to view the tokens, the players are not. Some players see some of the token folders, others see nothing. This behavour was working fine in v2.7.6

Has anyone observed similar issues?

Moon Wizard
July 31st, 2011, 19:12
There are several locations where tokens can be installed:
* Application tokens/shared directory
* Application tokens/host directory
* Ruleset tokens directory
* Module tokens

Any tokens in the application tokens/shared directory should be visible to all clients. All the other tokens are only visible to the host by default.

When a host-only token is added to a token field or map that the user has access to, then that token will be added to their token box.

If this is not what you are seeing, can you give me more detail? (where installed, which tokens, etc.)

Regards,
JPG

neilgfoster
July 31st, 2011, 19:21
The tokens are included as part of the ruleset, installed in a folder called tokens. I have set the source of the token root using:

<tokenroot>
<source>tokens</source>
</tokenroot>

The token folder contains about 10 tokens, plus two subfolders, each containing around 10 tokens.

I have no tokens in Application/tokens/shared or application/tokens/host, and have no modules loaded.

I am using two laptops - one running both as host and as a player. The player session on this PC sees nothing in the token folder. The second laptop is connecting using an unregistered version - this player session sees the two subfolders, but no tokens at all.

Moon Wizard
August 1st, 2011, 02:02
The players should not see host-only tokens in their token bags. They will only see tokens placed in tokens/shared. This is by design.

Regards,
JPG

neilgfoster
August 1st, 2011, 08:26
The players should not see host-only tokens in their token bags. They will only see tokens placed in tokens/shared. This is by design.

Sorry JPG, but that statement contradicts the ruleset documentation, and what I have observed in previous versions. The documentation states that for tokens in a ruleset, defined by the tokenroot element:

"This definition determines the location of any tokens contained in the ruleset. All the tokens in the source folder and subfolders will be loaded. The tokens are available to both the host and clients, unless the "hostonly" tag is specified."

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/tokenroot.xcp

Are you saying that this behaviour has now changed in 2.8, and that players can no longer see any tokens that are included within the ruleset?

Moon Wizard
August 1st, 2011, 17:53
Apologies, my mistake. Looking at the tokenroot tag code, there is a hostonly attribute, and the code in that section has not changed since 2.7.6.

I'll try throwing some tokens in the ruleset/tokens folder in one of my rulesets to see how it behaves for me.

Regards,
JPG

neilgfoster
August 1st, 2011, 17:55
Thanks. Let me know if you need anymore information from me.

Moon Wizard
August 1st, 2011, 18:11
I'm seeing the same behavior, though it seems like this would have been broken in 2.7.6 too. However, code can have lots of interactions that aren't always initially apparent.

I'll schedule a patch for the next update.

Thanks,
JPG

phantomwhale
August 7th, 2011, 13:37
Looks like I'm getting this problem with the SWEX ruleset.

In my base.xml I have:

<tokenroot source="tokens" />

Under 2.7.6, these tokens appear in the host and players token tool bags. Under 2.8, the tokens no longer appear on the players token tool (the bags do, but they are empty).

A knock on effect is that the combat minitracker (which is shared with players) does not display any card "tokens" either. This uses tokenfields populated via the setPrototype method e.g. setPrototype("ruleset/tokens/cards/Ace of spades.png")

I've rewritten the combat tracker to use Bitmap Widgets now, setting up "icon" resources from the same token PNGs but using them as Bitmaps (like the card table in DL:R and the core card dealer from SWEX do) and it works again.

But the mini-tracker also displays the tokens, and when I've used letter tokens (also in the ruleset "tokens" folder) they fail to display on local clients. Also on shared images, these tokens did not always appear (less sure about that though). Putting a copy of these letter into "Application/tokens/shared" fixes the problem, oddly enough with even tokens from the ruleset tokens folder appearing properly on the client.

After a good hour of invesitgating with 2.7.6 and 2.8, and SWEX version 3.1 and 3.2 (dev), it was only the 2.8 and 3.2 (dev) where I had this ongoing problem. I loading a brand new campaign under this set up and the client had NO token bags at all. Then, on a hunch, I turned my 3.2 ruleset into a PAK file (previously it was "exploded"); surely enough, the tokens were all back and shared again.

So I can recreate the problem against 2.8 (and not 2.7.6) but only using an "exploded" copy of the ruleset. Hopefully that might help track down the change ? Would be nice to have it patched, as I (unlike most users, I expect) run with an exploded ruleset all the time - every game is a playtest game ! My players abide :cool: