PDA

View Full Version : 3 friends looking for a DM for 3.5e

Dan3486
July 31st, 2011, 16:02
Hey all,

Myself and two friends are looking for a dm for a 3.5 game. None of us have much if any experience but we're all adults, respectful etc. We're all EST but I think generally flexible in terms of which night to play. Please pm me or post if this sounds like fun.

PoisonAlchemist
August 4th, 2011, 07:08
Much experience with FG or with 3.5? Are you looking for a one-off game or a long term game?

Dan3486
August 5th, 2011, 00:07
Both really. Two of us have some experience with 3.5 via videogames, the third does not. Everyone has a copy of the PHB and would read up on combat etc beforehand. I have a little bit of experience with FG, and by that I mean I ran through a demo of Ars Magica one night, and I've watched some of the videos (I'd make sure everyone watched all of the videos before an actual game though).

A long term game would be the goal.

Doc_Waldo
August 5th, 2011, 09:14
Any interest in 4e?

cpbs
August 5th, 2011, 13:01
How long is long term? Are you wanting a full campaign, with an over arching plot, side plots, side quests mission/adventures etc.

As well as how often would you want to play? Weekly - Biweekly, every other week, monthly.

What is the percentage of roleplaying to combat do you care to experience? 50/50, 70/30 etc.

How much time do you have to spend outside of the game? Some DM's like to have a forum or bulletin board to progress the role-playing side of the game off of Fantasy Grounds. This requires time for the players to "flesh-out" their character.

Is the DM restricted on alignment in his creating campaign? Will he be able to make the game darker then usual or do you want it to be a nice feel good story of saving the small village against Orc attacks.

Does gore and graphic descriptions offend anyone that wants to play.

Should the bad guys always loose, or is it better for the players to be kicked around to learn their lesson that they are not the ultimate heroes they think they are. Or do you want to always be the hero, where you are able to win every battle and the throngs of citizens cheer your names when they see you.

Does the idea of adding futuristic or steampunkish items to a fantasy world cause you to think the DM is crazy? or do you think that there should be a blurred line between advanced alchemy (clockwork, steam work, gun powder, science, flying airships etc) and magic within your fantasy world.

Although these are some weird questions, it does allow other potential DMs, including me, to see where your interests are and also to be able to formulate a campaign idea, in which the player would find more entertaining.

Doc_Waldo
August 6th, 2011, 00:35
We are trying to set up a group for 4e. It is not 3.5, so I'm not trying to pull you away, and it is not a full campaign. For a detail of what we are trying to put together, see post: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=112821#post112821

Doc

jcdf
August 6th, 2011, 01:16
I am putting together a game that might be appropriate for you. More can be found about it by following the links.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15071

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=677

Dan3486
August 9th, 2011, 16:44
We're down for a full campaign, sidequests etc. I think we could mostly commit to a weekly game with maybe the odd week where we'd have to take off.

RP to combat ratio is preferably somewhere in the 50%-70% RP range.

I'm not sure about the bulletin board concept, I think two of us would definitely be cool with that, but the third I'm less sure of, but in general I think we'd be open to it.

The DM pretty much has free reign in terms of darkness and alignment etc within reason. 2 of us are reading A Song of Ice and Fire, so we're comfortable and enjoy that stuff (but it'd be nice if our characters lives weren't 24/7 misery etc.).

Gore and graphic descriptions are fine.

The DM has discretion in terms of when the players win etc, we don't need to always win etc. (though I think we'd prefer to win in the long run).

Futuristic add-ons are preferably a nogo. Steampunk might be ok in a very limited quantity, and definitely not as the campaign setting. Ideally, no gunpowder.

We're pretty set on 3.5 (rather than 4e) but Pathfinder would be cool too. As of right now Sun-Thurs would be the best nights, but that may change. I'll update this as soon as our schedules develop (we're all grad students).

dipnotz
August 16th, 2011, 23:27
I have three of the six Carrion Crown modules converted to FG2 and am looking for 2-3 more players so you and your friends would be a good fit. It's a Pathfinder gothic horror-themed campaign going from level 1 to level 15 or so. So think much undead, ghosts, werewolves, vampires, etc in a spooky Romanian country.

I'm also Eastern timezone as are the other two players already interested (guys from my former tabletop group).

This is the first time I've run a game over Fantasy Grounds (previously done 3 Pathfinder Adventure Paths face-to-face) so there will be a bit of a learning curve, but I think the technology will be easy to figure out.

Let me know if you are interested and I can send you details of my style and what I hope to get out of the campaign. Or contact me directly at [email protected]. Hope to talk to you soon!