PDA

View Full Version : SW Bugs in 2.8

Griogre
July 30th, 2011, 19:01
I updated to 2.8 last night right before my ongoing NE game and we observed the following issues. As this was not a new campaign install some of these might have been cause by starting the campaign under 2.7.6 so I am placing this here instead of the house of healing. I won't be able to try and look at these in a fresh campaign for a few days as I'm pretty booked up the rest of the weekend, but I though I'd give you a heads up and maybe others can verify them.

1) GM and Players both noticed the library catagory names for modules are missing. There is a space where they should be. IE After activating a few SW library modules like NE GM Guide, NE Player Guide, POSTM Quick Ref, SWEX GM Guide and SWEX Player Guide there is no cagoryname displayed.

2) Player's reported that on the player tracker, the "Smiling Jack" wild card indicator was missing for one PC. This was not fixed by re-drag and dropping the PC.

3) The player's reported they could not see the card icons on the player tracker. IE they could not see what card they or the NPC had drawn. GM could see them fine on both trackers.

4) The most serious one for me the GM was that combat trackers for exported adventure modules, were no longer available/seen from the main campaign and I had to re-enter them.

phantomwhale
July 31st, 2011, 01:30
Thanks Griogre, have just updated to 2.8 myself so will be looking at these sorts of bugs myself.

Doswelk
July 31st, 2011, 08:33
Thanks Griogre, have just updated to 2.8 myself so will be looking at these sorts of bugs myself.

@Phantomwhale: Using the build 6 versions the only bug I have seen is the missing library catagory names, the others seemed to have been fixed by you already (but this is just me testing with 1 gm and 1 pc)

Tuesday will be a proper test.

phantomwhale
July 31st, 2011, 08:37
Cool - can anyone confirm the other bugs in v3.1 ? Like Griogre says, it might be his campaign, or might be an issue for 3.1 in general.

Now 2.8 is "live", there might be a need for a quick "extension" patch, if there is anything game breaking and un-workaround-able.

Sorcerer
July 31st, 2011, 09:20
p_w

you might have seen already, but I posted a fix for the category name problem in the v2.8 laboratory thread (post#130).
should be applicable to S W as well.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14859&page=13

Jorkkeli
July 31st, 2011, 10:39
Hi to all.

I'm very new to Fantasy Grounds so I don't know if this is version 2.8 related or not, but for me the Savage Wolds chat is screwing the fonts somehow.

When I'm writing what I want to say the letters are normal, but when it goes to the actual chat the text gets much weaker and hard to see. And it is not because GM text is italic.

Is anyone else getting this or is it just me?

mwbay
July 31st, 2011, 22:13
I discovered that I couldn't access my Savage Worlds 3.1 ruleset with 2.8 Ultimate. I couldn't open the campaign I'd already created (I got a couldn't find ruleset base.xml error), and I couldn't create a new campaign (the option was greyed out).

On closer inspection, I discovered the Savage Worlds installer was installing the SW .pak file in the Program Files (x86)/Fantasy Grounds II Ultimate folder. When I copied the .pak file in the Program Files (x86)/Fantasy Grounds II folder, all worked correctly.

phantomwhale
July 31st, 2011, 22:34
Sorcerer - thanks for the link, had missed that, good to have a fix to copy and paste already.

Griogre - are we sure if Savage Worlds ever DID export combat trackers into modules ? I must confess to not adding them myself into the modules I've produced, and I can't see (via the export menu) how you can ?
https://i.imgur.com/rodQs.jpg (https://imgur.com/rodQs)

Jorkkeli Had a quick look myself, the fonts seemed OK. If it IS a bug, it's probably caused by the core FGII engine, and not SWEX specific, so take a look at the other general support forums in case someone else is seeing it. Indeed, see if the bug only appears in SWEX or all campaigns.
https://i.imgur.com/HHKK0.jpg (https://imgur.com/HHKK0)

mwbay As a long time ultimate license holder, I've only ever had a "Fantasy Grounds II" folder (not Ultimate), and the SavageWorlds installer puts the PAK into that folder. The "bundling" of the installers is done by Smiteworks, so might want to raise it on the general support channel - perhaps this is something new with the FGII installer ?

Jorkkeli
August 1st, 2011, 17:46
Had a quick look myself, the fonts seemed OK. If it IS a bug, it's probably caused by the core FGII engine, and not SWEX specific, so take a look at the other general support forums in case someone else is seeing it. Indeed, see if the bug only appears in SWEX or all campaigns.

I think your picture also shows the difference. It's just hard to notice if you don't compare text that you are writing to the text you have already said.

https://i.imgur.com/bG7FB.jpg

As you can see the lower Test is little stronger.
You can see this even better if you use light font color on dark background.

RKBrumbelow
August 1st, 2011, 17:52
Jorkkeli,
I am not an expert in windows systems these days, but I think you may be seeing the windows antialiasing for display fonts kicking in. If so the active text is always going to be a little bit higher contrast to show it is the active text.

RKBrumbelow
August 1st, 2011, 19:45
PW, Looks like the Deadlands Reloaded extension is not loading under 2.8. Which we just discovered the hard way in our 7PM GMT DL R game.

CAPryde
August 1st, 2011, 19:45
Deadlands doesn't seem to be working with 2.8; the modules have disappeared, and the game reverts back to SW basic rules (no Grit, etc.), although the skin remains. The Coffin Rock adventure is still available, but links to humans are broken.

Moon Wizard
August 1st, 2011, 20:46
The fonts in FG are bitmap fonts. I'm guessing that the font specified for the chat input line is different than the standard font for chat text.

Regards,
JPG

phantomwhale
August 2nd, 2011, 10:10
Yikes - Deadlands not working :(

Sorry guys, I thought there was some switch we needed to turn on to activate 2.8 new features, and otherwise rulesets / extensions would operate in 2.7.6 compatible "mode". E.g. I didn't think I needed to look at 2.8 in advance of it's release.

I can start looking at patches, but time is getting tighter as I'm working a full 9-5 again (like real people do !) as of last week. Plus it's time I'll need to spend off v3.2, which doesn't seem to have too many compatibility issues (although I've not actually playtested it on v2.8 as of yet...)

JPG / Smiteworks people - is there a quick fix / workaround for the Savage / DL:R bugs under 2.8 ? E.g. some way people might regress back to 2.7.6 or "2.7.6 compatible" mode whilst I complete a 2.8 compatible version ?

v3.2 is getting close, but not really close enough to say "hey, can everyone just wait a few weeks and it'll be OK again"...

phantomwhale
August 2nd, 2011, 10:31
RKB / CAPryde

Can you just check if DL:R is bust for new campaigns ? And double-check you don't have any other extensions (such as the no longer required Unofficial Patches extension) enabled ? I think extension load ordering was altered in 2.8, and perhaps an otherwise benign extension, such as the unofficial patches, is now loading after DL:R and killing off much of it's functionality.

I've just opened up a new v3.1 Savage Worlds campaign with DLR v1.0.3 and the Coffin Rock module, and everything seems to open fine this end :

https://i.imgur.com/fosKul.jpg

Moon Wizard
August 2nd, 2011, 16:55
I didn't see any issues either on a new campaign that I set up for SW and DL:R, and I replied to CAPryde in another thread.

Good investigative work on the extension load order. That might be what is happening. Extension load order was undefined before, but now it has a very specific order. It first uses loadorder tag within extension data, then alphabetical sorting.

Thanks,
JPG

CAPryde
August 2nd, 2011, 18:04
The problem seems to be more basic than that: from my computer's perspective, the Deadlands module has completely disappeared. As in it no longer appears in the list of extensions or in the module list (although Coffin Rock still appears in the module list). I tried reinstalling DL, but no luck.

I tried creating a new campaign; no luck there.

Update: I emptied the cache folder; no luck there. I also checked the "Module" and "Extension" subfolders in the Application data folder, and I can see the DL materials in both of those places. I guess maybe I'll have to try reinstalling FG.

Moon Wizard
August 2nd, 2011, 18:12
Hmmm, not sure what is going on there, but I want to find out so we can address for the long term.

* Are you running any other extensions, or just Deadlands?
* Are the books not showing on both GM and player instances of FG?
* Did you uninstall or delete the modules/extensions before re-installing?

Thanks for bearing with us on this one. Sometimes it's difficult to track down an issue that doesn't appear for everyone.

Regards,
JPG

CAPryde
August 2nd, 2011, 19:51
I finally archived my FG2 App Data folder under a new name, uninstalled everything, deleted all the folders, and then reinstalled everything, and that has fixed the problem. I was able to recopy the campaign subfolder back from the archived copy, and everything seems to be working fine. I'm still not sure what caused the problem, but it probably isn't worth worrying about at this point.

CAPryde
August 9th, 2011, 15:34
Hello all. I wanted to update my earlier bug report with some issues we noticed while playing yesterday. Like another user in this thread, I had problems with initiative cards displaying in the combat tracker and tokens on the map; several of my players reported not being able to see them. I closed and reopened the windows, and I think that fixed it, but it might just be that my players decided to live with it while we finished combat.

As a secondary note, there seemed to be a problem with mouse targeting when it came to scrolling up or down values. If I wanted to, for instance, scroll up or down the die value for a skill, I had to put my mouse an eighth of an inch or so below the relevant field. Ditto for the modifier ball, the boxes for things like Parry, and so on. This only applied to scrolling--if I put my mouse directly over the modifier ball and typed a value, it showed up correctly.

As bugs go, this is a pretty small one, but I thought you might like to know.

*Cross-posted at "2.8 Bug Thread."

phantomwhale
August 9th, 2011, 22:21
Cards are probably related to the token issue I've seen - although that only happened when the ruleset was "exploded" (e.g. not a plain PAK file, like your probably using) : https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15095

JPG was looking at that, I'll await his report

As a secondary note, there seemed to be a problem with mouse targeting when it came to scrolling up or down values. If I wanted to, for instance, scroll up or down the die value for a skill, I had to put my mouse an eighth of an inch or so below the relevant field. Ditto for the modifier ball, the boxes for things like Parry, and so on. This only applied to scrolling--if I put my mouse directly over the modifier ball and typed a value, it showed up correctly.

Didn't get this problem with a normal window. Once I'd maximized the screen, I then got the problem.

Also checked, and it's in all the rulesets, and much more pronounced on a maximized 1920x1200 screen with closer together fields (e.g. 4E character sheets). On these, using the scroll wheel on one attribute affects the one above. So it's probably not-so-minor a bug in the long term.

Hopefully another one for JPG ?

Doswelk
August 9th, 2011, 23:09
The only bugs we saw tonight were only one of my players could see the cards in the combat tracker.

PW: (This was using SW 3.2.0 - build 6 and Deadlands 1.10 - build 6)

Moon Wizard
August 9th, 2011, 23:29
Working on both issues.

* The mouse wheel issue is addressed in the 2.8.1 beta.
* I'm working right this second on the ruleset tokens issue (i.e. cards)

Cheers,
JPG

NEPHiLiX
August 13th, 2011, 05:37
Encountered a couple of oddities while playing with the troup today.

(1) The cards dealt at the Deadlands poker table appear in strange orders (meaning when you deal they don't appear in the order that they are dealt but rather re-arrange themselves on the table as they are dealt), which can be annoying by times. It's a minor thing but my players have a tendency to want to know what the 4th street and river cards were.

(2) Every round, shaken results (and I imagine the Incapacitated results too) clear from extras who are organized into sub-sets (under a parent entry) in the combat tracker. I think I already mentioned this elsewhere but so far as I recall it wasn't addressed.

Thanks again!

phantomwhale
August 13th, 2011, 05:46
(1) will take a look

(2) Grouped enemies are... just broken in SWEX v3.1. They are currently getting a complete rewrite for the next release (it's probably the biggest part of v3.2) plus a few new features (keep an eye on the tumblr blog in my sig)

Cheers,
Ben (-PW-)

Indarien
August 16th, 2011, 00:20
I don't know if this helps the troubleshooting process or not, but here's some info from my SW session last night.

Fantasy Grounds v2.8
SW Ruleset 3.1

1) The combat tracker was all messed up, initiative cards not displaying, etc. (I'm not being specific because the issues are the ones noted above.)
2) The GM could not spend Bennies.
3) NPCs created/modified had the old annoying bug where you had to create the NPC, close the NPC, then open the NPC back up in order to edit the Abilities and Skills.

These all reminded me of the days of 3.0 and the "unofficial patches" extension, which I still had on my computer, but had not been using. So I closed out of FG and restarted the campaign with the Savage Worlds Unofficial Patches extension.

That fixed nigh on everything, including the Deadlands Ruleset not working, GM bennies, the NPCs, etc.. So I guess my supposition is:
(1) The SW ruleset was modified in some way by the 2.8 patch and reverted back to the 3.0 version.
(2) If that actually happened, can it be "undone" by having the patcher roll out the 3.1 version appropriately?

Later attempts to amuse myself by uninstalling/reinstalling FG and/or the SW ruleset did not fix anything as soon as I updated to 2.8. The only way it seemed to work was to install FG 2.8 by itself, update everything, then install 3.1 over top of it.

Anyway, if that's useful there you go.

phantomwhale
August 16th, 2011, 05:09
The patcher doesn't touch the SWEX ruleset, it can only be updated by separate installers currently.

Equally, the unofficial patches extension should fix a few issues with 3.0, but it will totally ruin v3.1 and the Deadlands:Extension (if it is loaded after the Deadlands:Extension - I'm unsure of extension loading order, other than I know it changed slightly in FGII v2.8)

With 99% certainty, I can say that you DON'T want to be using the unofficial patches extension anymore, assuming you are on SWEX v3.1 (with or without DL:R).

I know the cards are broken in v2.8 - I think v2.8.1 (in beta test) fixes the underlying FGII token sharing bug that causes this issue.

You mention Bennies and NPCs not working - but also mention DL:R (which has Fate Chips and Critters / Humans) - I presume you were trying with and without the DL:R extension then. I highlight this as the unofficial patches would put NPCs / Bennies back into place (possibly) when it should be DL:R and just wanted to be sure this extension was not being used in general, as it really won't work with any version other than 3.0 (wish I'd added a fixed version into the extension to ensure it got disabled for 3.1 !)

One sanity check you can always do is type "/version" at the prompt to see the ruleset version number (and ensure it is v3.1.0 build... erm... 16, I think).

Indarien
August 17th, 2011, 20:08
Then I'll call it dumb luck that it works.

I am using Savage Worlds 3.1.0 version 16 on FG2 v2.8 and for whatever reason the GM can only spend Bennies/Fate Chips/create NPCs/you name it WITH the old "unofficial patches" extension activated, regardless of whether I have the Deadlands Expansion turned on or not.

So I guess YMMV. If it is not supposed to work that way, then don't burn any brain cells trying to figure out why it is working and when the time comes that it breaks, I'll just do the full uninstall/reinstall.

If it works for me, no harm, no foul. :)

phantomwhale
August 17th, 2011, 22:17
Frightening - but if it works, it works !

One other thought (outside chance) is there might be an old 3.0 copy of SWEX ruleset lying around and getting involved in the code loading (this is a guess, as it's a very grey area for me).

Longer term, SWEX v3.2 should be done by the end of the year, if not sooner (I hope sooner) and will hopefully patch up anything that 2.8.x doesn't manage to.

NEPHiLiX
August 21st, 2011, 01:50
One of my players is having this ludicrous persistent problem where he types or rolls and it doesn't register at all in anyone's chat window (including his). Whether he rolls his skills or the free range dice, the issue's the same...everyone else is usually left waiting around for the program to sort things out and register...or he tries restarting his program to see if that clears it...or restarting his computer. The net result is a whole lot of downtime waiting for the program to work.

Is there a fix for this?

phantomwhale
August 21st, 2011, 04:10
One of my players is having this ludicrous persistent problem where he types or rolls and it doesn't register at all in anyone's chat window (including his). Whether he rolls his skills or the free range dice, the issue's the same...everyone else is usually left waiting around for the program to sort things out and register...or he tries restarting his program to see if that clears it...or restarting his computer. The net result is a whole lot of downtime waiting for the program to work.

Is there a fix for this?

I've had this problem with one particular player a few times (under FGII v2.7.6 and SWEX v3.1). But last session (under FGII v2.8 and the latest v3.2 playtest build) I got the problem with several players. I don't know enough about the FGII internals to figure out if this is something I'm causing or not.

I posted a thread up here to document my issues, but they were many and varied, so it's hard to find one part to lock onto : https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15191

I'm quite glad to hear someone else has heard of this issue, as I'd not found other posts on this before. One angle of interest is now if it happens only in SWEX, or some people get it in other rulesets - if it's the former, I might have more power to fix it, if it's the latter, it gives JPG / Smiteworks more impetus to try and track down the bug in the FGII code base.

NEPHiLiX
August 25th, 2011, 08:37
I wish there was some way to work around it (besides having the GM make all the rolls for the player and having him type in skype rather than FG--but that's hardly a solution and not very fun for the player). If you've found anything that helps minimize its occurrence, let me know.

Also, I realize that there may be some trepidation in committing anything in print on this...but is there any chance that we can get an estimate (even a rough one) of when to expect the next version of SW for FG? My players and I are extremely anxious for it.

phantomwhale
August 25th, 2011, 13:27
I wish there was some way to work around it (besides having the GM make all the rolls for the player and having him type in skype rather than FG--but that's hardly a solution and not very fun for the player). If you've found anything that helps minimize its occurrence, let me know.

Also, I realize that there may be some trepidation in committing anything in print on this...but is there any chance that we can get an estimate (even a rough one) of when to expect the next version of SW for FG? My players and I are extremely anxious for it.

It's hard to commit, as most of the new features are done, but it's the "getting it working nicely with v2.8, and new v.28 features" part that's left, and that's an unknown for me right now.

As for the networking bug, it's very frustrating for us too, and I'm hoping we can work out if it's SWEX or FGII, but I think it'll require some testing, capturing of log files, esp. with the players who are having this problem. And given my players are in the UK, I don't really have any out of game time to test this stuff with them, as there social hours don't often cross with the Australian timezone (I get up at 5am to GM as it is !) - if you want to get in touch with moon_wizard, discuss what your seeing, and ask about enabling logging and getting him some data to work with, you might help speed that towards getting fixed.

Finally, I started a full 9-5 job recently, so spare time has been crushed between that and excess work from the money-making contract work I was doing before. So FGII coding time has suffered quite a bit. Hopefully one or the other will calm down soon and give me some free hours to get the final version of v3.2 into playtest, but it could be 2-3 months before release (at best), given that we are still finding odd bugs with v2.8 FGII and the scope of some of the v3.2 changes (rewriting the combat tracker, for one).

I'd be content to commit to having v3.2 out by the end of the year, in a nutshell. I'd be happier if I can get it out a bit sooner, but the next two weeks are looking to be busy-as-heck, so not sure I'd be able to say much sooner.

NEPHiLiX
August 25th, 2011, 15:13
It's great to know that the end of the year is a good bet, and my players will be stoked that there's a basic ETA on the update. Killer work!

PS: I can relate with the time zone variation: I'm in Korea and my players are in Ontario and Newfoundland (13 hours difference with Ontario and 11 and a half with Newfoundland). I start at 8am Sat and Sun Korea time and they start at 7pm/830pm Fri and Sat their time. I gotta say: you've got heart getting up at 5am to play!

Doswelk
August 30th, 2011, 23:11

Is there a fix for this?

This bug has reared its ugly head for two of my players on Saturday, and for one of my regulars tonight.

If he closed FGII and came back in he could roll ONCE before problem started again... driving him nuts.:(

Moon Wizard
August 30th, 2011, 23:37
Does anybody have any ideas what is the trigger for this issue? (i.e. what is the roll that triggers the issue?)

Worst case, the old downloader is still available, but I'd like to get this addressed to keep things moving forward if you can help me troubleshoot.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FantasyGroundsII-Setup276.exe

Regards,
JPG

phantomwhale
August 31st, 2011, 00:10
For players that had the dice problem with me, it was ANY roll that caused it. Hotkeys / drag and drop from any sheet.

SWEX only has three roll types anyway (trait roll, damage roll and basic roll). First one has a wild die, second doesn't and the last one doesn't "explode".

I'm also thinking this has to be a bug with SWEX over FGII, as it's just SWEX GMs checking in here, no other rulesets - question is if it's v2.8 of FGII causing it or enhancing it ? I've had this bug very occasionally before 2.8, but last session was dire for me. That said, I'm also using the latest dev build of SWEX (3.2) - as is Doswelk, I think - but NEPHiLiX is seeing it with the release build of SWEX (3.1) too.

So suspect we need to keep our minds open for where the bug might stem from.

For my part, I'm being snowed under with real life work for another two weeks now - but I do have a game this weekend, so I'll try and get the network debugging logs on (-d switch, i think) and see what happens.

Doswelk
August 31st, 2011, 00:14
I have to agree I suspect it is a SW bug... never had it before 2.8 though.

VenomousFiligree
August 31st, 2011, 00:25
I've done one instance of 3.2 SW and it didn't appear. I have another one on 10 September, if you need me to test anything in particular let me know.

Mask_of_winter
August 31st, 2011, 00:40
I've had that problem happen to my players last year. I havent ran a game since then. And I can't remember which FG2 build it was. It was SW v.3.

So I don't think think the problem is specific to 2.8 or any iteration of the SW ruleset.

Moon Wizard
August 31st, 2011, 07:08
I'm starting up a SW game in the next couple weeks, so I'll get to experience first hand. In the mean time, I'll be setting up my game, so I'll try some scenarios as well to see if I can recreate.

When I refer to an action that caused the delayed chat/rolls, I am referring to the action that was the first not to appear immediately. (Skills vs. Attribute vs. Damage vs. Straight Dice)

Regards,
JPG

NEPHiLiX
September 3rd, 2011, 06:32
Had another session with my players today and encountered the following strange errors:

(1) from the player experiencing that strange issue of his dice rolls not showing up on his or anyone else's instance of FG, often times when the roll did come through, the dice would show a different result from that which was recorded. For example, on one occasion he rolled a "5, 5, 2" and it recorded it as "5, 1, 1"...so he was clearly annoyed that the recorded result was lower than the one we all saw. We also noticed that his instance of FG would stop recording his rolls after the first 15-20 minutes of play or so (at least this time--this is a new development for our sessions).

(2) I sometimes play and GM at the same time, and I noticed that my FG has recently become very sluggish and unresponsive when I have both instances running. This really shouldn't be a problem, I frequently have two 2011 games at full graphics running at the same time (one in the background while playing the other) without experiencing any slowdowns or lag at all in game.

(3) I've also noticed that my other players experience huge lag and frequent momentary FG crashes (that subside if you don't hit anything for about 10-20 seconds) during the first 20 minutes of their connection. I suppose this has to do with the fact that their computers have to download the ruleset library every time they connect, but we all have stellar bandwidth and wonder why this is a problem (with FG).

Thanks for your time!

phantomwhale
September 3rd, 2011, 08:38
(1) dice showing one results and rolling another has been mentioned in other threads - not sure about that, as I've not seen it myself

(2) Some logs today showed me echoing network traffic (e.g. background traffic that just kept going all session) - not managed to recreate this with a local instance and GM session though. But the echoing traffic with the players today ground my session to a sluggish halt.

(3) Again, if there is some sort of network looping bug, this might happen. Although re: stella bandwidth, don't forget most home connections have amazing download speeds, but not-so-amazing upload speeds. 6 players on 20MB/s download will still be bottlenecked by 1 GM with a 1MB/s upload (as that's 1/6th MB/s per player).

Anyhow, as mentioned in another thread, I've got some logs now, so I'll be looking a little more closely into it.

Ben

phantomwhale
September 4th, 2011, 14:31
Have narrowed down the bug to DL:R - should get a fix out soon. Meanwhile, is anyone getting 2.8 performance / die rolling issues with plain SWEX ? Hopefully not (as I'm not able to find any) but wanted to check...

phantomwhale
September 4th, 2011, 22:16
A patched version has now been released via the Smiteworks store - kudos to Doug and JPG for the fast response.

See : https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114191

NEPHiLiX
September 5th, 2011, 05:39
Fantastic! I'll give it a shot. As it stands we thought that we were going to have to discontinue playing with the Deadlands ruleset add-in or, failing that, FG altogether until a new patch came through the pipes.

We'll be crossing our fingers!

phantomwhale
September 5th, 2011, 07:34
Thanks for JPG, I've got enough logging to see what's going on under the hood now with my rulesets and the network traffic they generate.

So hopefully not only will any nasty network bugs be easy to spot and (hopefully) easy to remedy now, but I should be able to avoid creating more such problems in the future.

Not clear why this only became a bigger problem with FGII v2.8, but nonetheless feel very confident we can keep the existing SWEX / DL:R versions well supported now until I can get the new versions completed.

Let me know how the next session goes. And if you have any funny behavior, try running the Fantasy Grounds server with a "-n" flag, and then send me the console.log afterwards. It's a goldmine of usefulness.

NEPHiLiX
September 11th, 2011, 04:18
Well my players and I spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure out what the crazy lag issue has been, and we discovered something we thought was interesting.

It seems as though the ridiculous lag was only affecting 1 campaign setting (we have two campaigns running in the same Deadlands setting--the issue affected everyone involved). So we created a new campaign instance of Deadlands in FG and tried playing through after having copied the db.xml file from the old campaign to the new campaign...and everything ran flawlessly!

phantomwhale
September 11th, 2011, 12:11
Was this using the patched version of DL:R (v1.0.5) ?

NEPHiLiX
September 11th, 2011, 13:21
After having applied the newest patch that you appended just above, yes. It didn't make a lick of difference after it was applied until I started a new campaign in FG. Wasn't much of a bother once I did that, all that was missing were the tokens and the images that were stored in the old campaign folder, everything else transferred perfectly when I transferred the old db.xml to the new campaign instance.

Funny enough, though, I'm having another strange issue with that character you repaired earlier (the one with the level headed issue that you solved): now every second or third init draw I'll get an error and he'll keep the previous round's init card even though the new card draws appear in the chat box. This guy's cursed, I swear.

phantomwhale
September 11th, 2011, 13:28
Any idea what the error message is ? From that, I might be able to find and squish the bug !

Or v3.2 will certainly have the cure if I can't fix now... but doing a second combat tracker rewrite for that now, since the first one left a couple of unwanted side-effects, so that's gonna take a few more days... going to be all worth it though :)

Doswelk
September 11th, 2011, 13:56
Any idea what the error message is ? From that, I might be able to find and squish the bug !

Or v3.2 will certainly have the cure if I can't fix now... but doing a second combat tracker rewrite for that now, since the first one left a couple of unwanted side-effects, so that's gonna take a few more days... going to be all worth it though :)

The new "broken" combat tracker is already a HUGE improvement over the first, for the first time ever since I made the video showing that grouped combat tracker entries did not work, I finally yesterday got to use them again.

We found a few more bugs and the new grouping though working has some issues that PW has now got a plan to fix.

3.2 might be a while off but believe me it will be worth the wait!

NEPHiLiX
September 11th, 2011, 16:27
This is the error that I get when I re-create it (although that's just me running the combat tracker through the rounds without anyone else connected except for my GM instance and my Player instance):

Script Error: [string "scripts/dlr_combattracker.lua"]:417: attempt to call global 'newCard' (a nil value)
Ruleset Warning: Anchored control static height ignored for 'state'

Thanks for the tight assists PW.

zackspacks
October 13th, 2011, 23:43
Hi there
The last few weeks has seen our group return from a Call of Cthulhu campaign to Savage, and we suddenly have a problem with initiative cards displaying for the players. Last week forex I could see maybe 2 or 3 out of 8 cards in the tracker, other players could see anything from none to all of them. This week, a similar result, except I have gone to seeing none of them.

I have checked and my version is v3.1 with no add-ons. Any suggestions ?

cheers
Paul

phantomwhale
October 14th, 2011, 00:01
Hey Paul,

I presume your using the latest FG (vesion 2.8.1) and when you type "/version" your seeing v3.1.0 build 16 for Savage Worlds ? I'm also going to assume the ruleset is installed as "SavageWorlds3.PAK" in your program files / Fantasy Grounds directory, rather than a folder in your application data / rulesets directory.

(If any of that is not the case, then it might be worth making it the case before continuing !)

Now in SWEX 3.1, there are tokens inside the ruleset, namely initiative card tokens and the small and medium letter tokens. I did observe with FG v2.8.0 that the initiative cards were broken (vanishing) and started on a patch, changing the combat tracker to show Initiative cards as a bitmap image rather than using the FG tokens. Whilst writing that, I also noticed the letter tokens were not appearing on the player copy of shared images too,

However, then came FG v2.8.1, which claimed to fix the token issue. And surely enough, after 2-3 mins testing, the letter tokens seemed to be back. But by this point, I'd written the patch to display cards as bitmaps for SWEX v3.2, so I left that in place.

So in summary, I thought everything was fixed. But...

I did notice in recent FG v2.8.1 games, using the latest SWEX development build, that the letter tokens (the only tokens left inside the ruleset now) are STILL vanishing. I reported that as part of the latest "tokens are missing" thread in the support forums : https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=115613&postcount=38

But as I am always testing the latest version of SWEX, I haven't been able to verify any problems with v3.1. But it sounds like you are also getting issue with token sharing within FG v2.8.1. So maybe we need to ask JPG / Smiteworks to have another look at token sharing for tokens within a ruleset PAK ?

Is anyone else using v3.1 seeing this issue, or more to the point, not seeing this issue ? There is a workaround for the letter tokens (put them into the Application data / tokens / shared folder) - not sure if doing that same with the card tokens would help too.

NEPHiLiX
October 14th, 2011, 00:55
We've been having this exact problem as well. It's constant and has been happening for quite some time. It's not a game-breaker though, thankfully.

zackspacks
October 14th, 2011, 08:29
Hi PW
As ever, many thanks for your prompt reply. To clarify your questions, yes it is the latest FG 2.8.1 , and /version in SW is indeed 3.1.0. (Build 16)

Now, the tokens issue actually did happen last week, completely forgot about this, as the guy running SW had just had problems with his computer. In fact from memory some of the tokens were missing, and not visible in the box. It seemed to be different ones missing for different players. We didn't do a roll call of tokens at the time, just opting to carry on.

I see you have posted my previous reply in the houses of healing, but I will try to convince members of our new FG group to join up here and post something

cheers
Paul

phantomwhale
October 15th, 2011, 22:47
Yeah, I'd pitch in on the thread I linked above - even when SWEX 3.2 is out, there were going to be letter tokens within the ruleset.

I'll remove them, if it's a problem, and provide them as a separate extension, which means they will work. Not sure if that might break any published adventure modules that assume their presence though :( - not that it's much of a break, you'll just need to reassign letter tokens to the NPCs. Or better tokens, if you've got 'em.

zackspacks
October 16th, 2011, 10:19
Yeah, I'd pitch in on the thread I linked above - even when SWEX 3.2 is out, there were going to be letter tokens within the ruleset.

I'll remove them, if it's a problem, and provide them as a separate extension, which means they will work. Not sure if that might break any published adventure modules that assume their presence though :( - not that it's much of a break, you'll just need to reassign letter tokens to the NPCs. Or better tokens, if you've got 'em.Thanks PW, looks like you have a workaround sussed out. Roll on v3.2:bandit:

cheers
Paul