PDA

View Full Version : Release v2.8

Moon Wizard
July 30th, 2011, 02:53
Fantasy Grounds v2.8 is now available via the FG updater or via the FG installer on the Downloads page.

The primary focus areas for this release are:

Major update to 3.5E ruleset
PFRPG support via option in 3.5E ruleset
Character import and export for 3.5E and 4E rulesets
Lite/Unregistered versions can now demo any ruleset
Network improvements
Developer enhancements
Many more minor features and bug fixes

If for any reason you are unable to use v2.8, please immediately let me know via private message or the House of Healing forum.

A more complete list of patch notes will follow.

Cheers,
JPG

Moon Wizard
July 30th, 2011, 02:55
Lite and Unregistered versions can host demo campaigns.</li>
Network optimizations, including token and portrait caching.</li>
When connection is lost, FG will attempt to reconnect to session for one minute. Any game data sent while disconnected will not be shared.</li>
Temporary files are cleaned up between sessions.</li>
Ultimate and Full versions can create and load campaigns when not connected to the Internet.</li>
Unregistered and lite versions can manage local characters with any installed ruleset. (if supported by ruleset)</li>
Client hot keys are saved as separate file in campaign cache folder.</li>
Idle timer increased to 2 minutes, up from 1 minute.</li>
Improvements to window list drawing speed.</li>
Better auto scrolling for nested windows and lists.</li>
Left click on chat window will set focus to chat entry box.</li>
Chat entry will not clear on mouse drag unless drag ends outside of box.</li>
Grave key is no longer hard-coded to issue stop/prompt messages in chat window. Use the radial menu instead.</li>
Clicking 4th mouse button in token bags will go up one level.</li>
When using radial menu to apply formatting to formattedtextcontrol, focus is maintained.</li>
Modules will only create their own category tab, if no mergeid defined and tab names not already defined.</li>
Clients could sometimes edit database entries they should not, and changes would be incorrectly propagated to host. Fixed.</li>
Fields using frames smaller than the size of the field will now tile the edges correctly.</li>
Assign speaker menu item was not visually updating. Fixed.</li>
Deleting empty lines in formattedtextcontrols could crash client. Fixed.</li>
Random impulse was not being added to dice rolls correctly. Fixed.</li>
First die roll using double-click rolling method would sometimes hang or fail. Fixed.</li>
Network race condition on delete when window shared with client identified. Fixed.</li>
Module categories and data entries would sometimes not appear, if primary campaign did not have records of same type. Fixed.</li>
Remote character portraits were not updated to newest copies on login. Fixed.</li>
Unable to use Manage Characters option if campaign PAK files used. Fixed.</li>
[LAUNCHER] UPnP port forwarding enabled for Connection Test.</li>
[LAUNCHER] Allows hosting when not connected to network.</li>
[LAUNCHER] Required fields highlighted in red.</li>
[LAUNCHER] Host user name defaults to "GM".</li>
[3.5E] Pathfinder mode added.</li>
[3.5E] Updated theme and sheet layouts.</li>
[3.5E] Client access to shared story, image and item entries.</li>
[3.5E] Full effects system added. See manual for details.</li>
[3.5E] /importchar and /exportchar commands added. See manual for details.</li>
[3.5E] Spell points support (i.e. psionics).</li>
[3.5E] Temporary and nonlethal hit point support.</li>
[3.5E] Chat window relative to FG window size.</li>
[3.5E] Search boxes added to every reference list.</li>
[3.5E] Indication of editable and rollable fields on character sheet.</li>
[3.5E] Support for more than 3 character classes.</li>
[3.5E] Drag and drop items to inventory.</li>
[3.5E] Enhanced PC spell casting.</li>
[3.5E] Targeting for double-click and drag-and-drop rolls improved.</li>
[3.5E] Image viewpoint remembered between sessions.</li>
[3.5E] Image toolbar added.</li>
[3.5E] NPC visibility options in CT.</li>
[3.5E] Encounter placement of tokens.</li>
[3.5E] Lighting and reply slash commands added.</li>
[3.5E] Kick option added to connected character list for GMs.</li>
[3.5E] AFK feature added.</li>
[3.5E] Weapons, armor and equipment details added to modules.</li>
[4E] /importchar and /exportchar commands added. See manual for details.</li>
[4E] Encounter placement of tokens.</li>
[4E] Added confirmations to radial delete.</li>
[4E] Speaker bar on host moved under chat window.</li>
[4E] Chat window relative to FG window size.</li>
[4E] Auto complete for multi word character names while whispering.</li>
[4E] Kick option added to connected character list for GMs.</li>
[4E] AFK feature added.</li>
[4E] Added options for adjusting NPC strength when they are added to combat tracker.</li>
[4E] Tokens can be individually scaled by holding CTRL and using mouse wheel over token.</li>
[4E] Combat tracker no longer needs to be open in order to target or drop actions on tokens.</li>
[4E] When dropping powers on character sheet, recharge would appear differently on player/GM screens. Fixed.</li>
[DEV] Ruleset and extension file load order is now the same on host and client.</li>
[DEV] Tabbing in string/number fields will now skip invisible, disabled or read-only fields.</li>
[DEV] Number controls will only intercept number drops by default, instead of all drops.</li>
[DEV] Added support for 4th and 5th mouse buttons in onClickDown and onClickRelease events.</li>
[DEV] throwDice calls made during chatwindow.onDrop handler will use current mouse vector, instead of random vector.</li>
[DEV] softclose tag will now allow windows to become invisible and minimized, instead of just minimized.</li>
[DEV] New functions, handlers, events and packages.</li>
Comm: addChatMessage, deliverChatMessage, deliverOOBMessage, throwDice, vote, setChatMood, clearChat, registerSlashHandler
DB: addHolder, export, getHolders, getText, getValue, import, isReadOnly, removeHolder, removeAllHolders, setValue
Interface: dialogFileOpen, dialogFileSave, onDesktopInit, onDesktopClose, openWindow (modal parameter)</li>
Token: addToken, getToken, onAdd, onClickDown, onClickRelease, onContainerChanged, onDelete, onDoubleClick, onDrop, onHover, onHoverUpdate, onScaleChanged, onTargetUpdate, onWheel
User: getActiveUsers, kick
categoryselectioncontrol: onHover, onHoverUpdate
chatwindow: onHover, onHoverUpdate
databasenode: getText, isReadOnly
diecontrol: noreset, onValueChanged
formattedtextcontrol: onHover, onHoverUpdate
imagecontrol: getImageSize, hasDrawing, hasMask, onHover, onHoverUpdate
numbercontrol: default, min, max
stringcontrol: default, readonly
tokencontrol: nodrag, nodrop, onValueChanged
tokeninstance: onHover, onHoverUpdate
windowinstance: isMinimized, onHover, onHoverUpdate
windowlist: setColumnWidth
windowreferencecontrol: noreset, onValueChanged
[DEV] 2.8 changes (behavior change when ruleset updated)</li>
Identity selection window not opened automatically. Use onDesktopInit handler.</li>
Console warning generated when template not found.</li>
Character database root can be specified as something other than "charsheet" using the characterdbroot tag.</li>
When importing characters from local mode, reference links are remapped to new character record ID.</li>
setValue, setPrototype and populateFromImageNode will no longer bypass database node ownership checks.</li>
imagecontrol: onTokenAdded event called for all existing tokens when initialized.</li>
windowcontrol: onDragStart added to replace first onDrag call.</li>
windowlistcontrol: onListRearranged event only called when windows added, deleted or rearranged.</li>

Sparhawk
July 30th, 2011, 05:50
Great!
Thanks for you great work, JPG.

Zulithe
July 30th, 2011, 11:21
Thank you!

has the "all licenses" installer been updated for 2.8?

Tel Arin
July 30th, 2011, 16:49
Thank you moon_wizard!

demonsbane
July 30th, 2011, 16:58
The library modules under the 2.8 updated 3.5 (and Pathfinder) rulesets look really nice: the eye candy aspects and the useful functionalities of library modules has been improved.

That is great! And I hope to find a way of adding some of that to other rulesets.

Griogre
July 30th, 2011, 18:44
has the "all licenses" installer been updated for 2.8?
As far as I know the unregistered version still need to un-install, download the 2.8 version and re-install. All the other licences lite, full, ultimate can use the Update Button on the launcher.

Callum
July 30th, 2011, 21:19
Has the d20 ruleset been rolled into the 3.5E ruleset with this release? What do I need to do to move my campaign from d20 to 3.5E?

Moon Wizard
July 30th, 2011, 23:24
Essentially, yes. The new 3.5E ruleset replaces the previous 3.5E ruleset, the d20_JPG ruleset and the d20 ruleset.

For d20 ruleset users, here is a procedure to update to the 3.5E ruleset.
* First, make a backup of your campaign folder in the Application Data Folder found in the Fantasy Grounds II start menu.
* Next, open the campaign.xml file in a text editor.
* Change the ruleset tag value from "d20" to "3.5E"
* Reload your campaign.

Since there is a direct migration from the d20_JPG ruleset and that ruleset was based on the d20 ruleset, then there should be minimal migration issues. However, the backup of your campaign is available just in case.

Regards,
JPG

Desmodaeus
July 31st, 2011, 19:45
Fantastic work! Much appreciated!

Moonsteroony
August 1st, 2011, 06:57
Hello,

There seems to be missing info for the magic items in the library (3.5).

Any idea what's wrong?

Cheers,

Moonsteroony

Moon Wizard
August 1st, 2011, 17:05
I did not update the 3.5E-magicitems module with this release, and I wasn't aware of any issues with the data.

Can you provide me with some examples?

Thanks,
JPG

Rashek
August 1st, 2011, 18:48
I can't say enough about how great this update is, we just had a marathon session last night, 4:30pm to 4:00am! My son was the DM sitting right next to me and all the changes (we converted from d20_jpg) made it so much easier for the DM to concentrate on more important matters!

I was wondering though, is there a plan to add Class abilities to the library, having the feats, skills, etc handy in your character sheet is very cool, having the class abilities would be as well.

And is there a way to add an edit Effects option, so that you can have them add multiple modifiers at once? (I have DL'd a mod called conditions that have most of the normal ones and they work great, and thanks to whoever made that mod BTW.)

Moon Wizard
August 1st, 2011, 20:52
I currently have no plans to update the 3.5E modules further, but if someone were to take on the task and give us permission to distribute the modifications, I would be happy to include. It's a bandwidth issue for me.

You might want to check out the 3.5E manual in the Library section of the web site regarding effects. Essentially, you can combine multiple modifiers in a single effect using a semicolon to separate the modifiers.

Example:
Barbarian Rage
STR: 4; CON: 4; SAVE: 2 will morale; AC: -2

Cheers,
JPG

Callum
August 1st, 2011, 22:54
Since there is a direct migration from the d20_JPG ruleset and that ruleset was based on the d20 ruleset, then there should be minimal migration issues. However, the backup of your campaign is available just in case.
Thanks, JPG. If I am unlucky enough to encounter significant issues, will I be able to roll back to version 2.7.6?

Moon Wizard
August 2nd, 2011, 00:10
You can still continue to use the d20 ruleset even with v2.8, if you choose to. You don't have to update to the new 3.5E ruleset.

I haven't seen any issues which are showstoppers yet, so I haven't taken the time to set up a way to back-rev to 2.7.6.

I'm already working on a 2.8.1 release to address the minor issues that have come up so far.

Cheers,
JPG

Moonsteroony
August 3rd, 2011, 18:43
Hello,

Here's an example of missing info for magic items. I've picked the Staff of Illumination.

When you click on the OTHER tab, here's what you read: This staff is usually sheathed in silver and decorated with sunbursts. It allows use of the following spells: AND THERE IS NOTHING WRITTEN HERE.

Another example taken from wondrous items, a bag of holding. You can read: This appears... the bag's contents, depend on the bag's type, as shown on the table below. AND THERE IS NOTHING WRITTEN HERE EITHER.

I've also noticed that in both cases, I can't click on IDENTIFIED (in the MAIN tab section).

Cheers,

Moonster

Moon Wizard
August 4th, 2011, 02:54
The magic items module is a read-only data module by default. If you drag the item to the campaign Items list or a PC inventory list, then it will create a copy you can modify or identify.

For the missing details, I will have to address on a case-by-case basis, since my bandwidth is very limited. (at Gencon right now, and out of town for 2 weeks after that)

If you notice others, just let me know.

Thanks,
JPG

Moonsteroony
August 4th, 2011, 03:03
Hello,

I've been able to modify and click for identified.

But there is still no description as to the power. I'll wait for the details...

Have a nice one!

Cheers,

Moonster

Callum
August 4th, 2011, 15:54
The text that Moonster identifies as missing is actually missing in the database for those (and many other) items.

heliopolix
August 6th, 2011, 03:07
Using the new 3.5 ruleset update, with the PFRPG sub-set, checking the column for "class skill" (3 lines) does not add the +3 class skill bonus to skills with ranks. Clicking the "affected by encumbrance" column (little weight) does add the +3 bonus.

Leonal
August 6th, 2011, 05:49
Using the new 3.5 ruleset update, with the PFRPG sub-set, checking the column for "class skill" (3 lines) does not add the +3 class skill bonus to skills with ranks. Clicking the "affected by encumbrance" column (little weight) does add the +3 bonus.

If you mouse over the two on the skills page you'll see that the three lines decide whether or not the skill show up on the mini sheet. Mouse over the "little weight" (I have no idea what it's supposed to be) will tell you it is for class skills.
It works correctly.

heliopolix
August 6th, 2011, 15:34
Ah, makes sense. I must have just been confused by something.

LuckyRob
August 7th, 2011, 16:19
Example:
Barbarian Rage
STR: 4; CON: 4; SAVE: 2 will morale; AC: -2

Cheers,
JPG

I have a couple of questions about this notation for the Barbarian Rage effect. I'm playing Pathfinder.

1. The Save bonus is added to both Fortitude and Reflex.

2. Is there any way to add the additional hit points for the increased CON? The Heal effect does not allow you to set a multiple by "Caster Level", i.e. 2 x CL, so the extra hit point value seems like it has to be hard-coded into the Action effect and changed each level. Is there another way to do this than with the Heal effect?

Great job, btw.

Moon Wizard
August 7th, 2011, 22:18
Thanks for the report.

1. Probably a bug. Let me look at it.

2. The effects subsystem does not modify hit points directly, so you would need to use something like heal (and remember to remove extra hit points when raging stops). I can look at making the formula more flexible to handle NxCL heal rolls.

Regards,
JPG

LuckyRob
August 8th, 2011, 00:44
That's why you're the best. Thanks!

thrylax
August 9th, 2011, 03:00
This is without a doubt the BEST update to FG2 since I started using it several years ago. Thanks for all your hard work. I'll keep my eye out for bugs to post so that they can get squashed.
Thanks again.

unerwünscht
August 9th, 2011, 03:36
This is without a doubt the BEST update to FG2 since I started using it several years ago. Thanks for all your hard work. I'll keep my eye out for bugs to post so that they can get squashed.
Thanks again.

I agree 100% ... This is the best update to FG ever.

thrylax
August 9th, 2011, 04:33
I'm pretty sure I'm using this correctly, so hopefully its not my fault on these two issues, but so far I have noticed the following bugs in this release.

Temporary modifiers for ability score checks are not properly adding to the die rolls. They show up on the character sheet, but will not add properly to the die rolls.

Attack rolls for players attacking monsters do not appear to be specifying wether or not an attack hits its target or not for characters. Seems to work OK for monsters attacking players however.

thrylax
August 9th, 2011, 16:45
I don't know if this matters or not, but the campaign I was using was one that was made in the last version of JPG_d20 and then converted into 3.5E at the load campaign screen. Maybe that has something to do with it, I'm not sure.
The reason I thought to mention it is that the combat tracker also does not automatically roll initiative for monsters that get added to the tracker (the option is set) but that function does seem to work correctly on a new campaign that I started as 3.5E. Maybe converting it from JPG_d20 to 3.5E had something to do with it, maybe not. I'm not sure.

ionofrao
August 9th, 2011, 17:34
I don't know if this matters or not, but the campaign I was using was one that was made in the last version of JPG_d20 and then converted into 3.5E at the load campaign screen. Maybe that has something to do with it, I'm not sure.
The reason I thought to mention it is that the combat tracker also does not automatically roll initiative for monsters that get added to the tracker (the option is set) but that function does seem to work correctly on a new campaign that I started as 3.5E. Maybe converting it from JPG_d20 to 3.5E had something to do with it, maybe not. I'm not sure.

I noticed the same thing, when I used to drop a monster in the combat tracker it would roll init for it, now it doesn't. My Campaign was converted like yours was.

ionofrao
August 9th, 2011, 17:56
First, Let me say AWESOME JOB, best update ever!!

I have a few miner, tiny issues.

I am running the 3.5 rules Pathfinder version

Only 1 Problem
1. We had 2 people disconnect for various reasons during the night, one got back on ok (with a small delay due to the longer time out) but the other could not find the server to reconnect, I had to shut down my Fg (I was hosting) and have everyone re-connect. He was able to re-connect then as well...

A Few Suggestions / Requests

1. We used to use d20_jpg with the 3rd party pathfinder extension, and in that one there was a button to reset spells, which would just reset your memorized spells to not cast, it would not clear what spells you want to memorize each days. All of my casters indicated they prefer this old way as most days they run with the same rack of spells every day and it makes it a lot quicker and easier to just hit the button and move on. So please consider this option.

2. Better documentation of the effects window. You might want to include a few pre-built effects to help people like me with the syntax or to see how the effects are used. I would love to see some examples of exactly what people type into the effects window and how they use them. I was thinking to add things like bard song, or haste or, good will to the effects window but couldn't figure out how.

Overall I love all the automation, I love having the pathfinder bestiary and rules in game, the new look, faster image loading and pretty much everything you folks did. Thanks!

Moon Wizard
August 9th, 2011, 18:40
Ability temp modifiers (thrylax)
Currently, the ability temp modifiers are not applying to any rolls. I'm working on a patch for the next release.

Results of attack rolls not displaying (thrylax)
I've seen this issue, but I haven't been able to consistently recreate. Any info you can give me on recreating consistently would be great.

NPC auto initiative not working (thrylax/ionofrao)
I haven't seen this issue yet, and first I've heard. I just tried upgrading an old d20_JPG campaign I used to run, but the auto initiative worked. Perhaps it might be good for me to take a look at the db.xml file for each of your campaigns, to see if I see anything there. You can send to [email protected]

Disconnects
You might want to check the thread on the House of Healing on dropped connections. One of our forum members posted some info on how he changed some router settings, and improved his connection situation. I haven't heard of a situation where only one person couldn't find server, so let me know if it continues.

Resting and memorized spells (ionofrao)
I think it probably makes more sense to do it that way too in the long run. Let me look into it.

Effects documentation (ionofrao)
There are several pages in the online manual with details of the effects options, and what they do. For PC spells, the ruleset attempts to parse out the effects information automatically when the spell is added. However, it primarily handles attack rolls and conditions currently, not specific modifiers. Let me know if you have any more questions after looking at the online manual.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/ref_effects_35E.xcp

Cheers,
JPG

Moon Wizard
August 9th, 2011, 19:04
Ionofrao,

I just looked into the resting code for memorized spell users, and the code is only clearing the "cast" values, not the "prepared" values. So, the spells memorized should remain when resting, just the spells cast should be cleared.

Can you check to see if you are running any extensions with your campaign?

Thanks,
JPG

thrylax
August 9th, 2011, 19:54
I loaded a couple others campaigns that I converted from D20_JPG as well and the initiative auto rolling seems to work fine in those....it just seems to be that one campaign with the issue. When I get home I'll upload you a copy of the bugged campaign if you'd like to have a look at it.

Moon Wizard
August 9th, 2011, 19:55
That would be great. I'd like to squash any issues I can locate.

Thanks,
JPG

ionofrao
August 9th, 2011, 21:31
Ionofrao,

I just looked into the resting code for memorized spell users, and the code is only clearing the "cast" values, not the "prepared" values. So, the spells memorized should remain when resting, just the spells cast should be cleared.

Can you check to see if you are running any extensions with your campaign?

Thanks,
JPG

I think I may know what happened, I am at work and can't confirm until I get home, but I suspect they hit some sort of reset option not the resting option. I was wondering what the "rest" option was for myself, and the old option was labeled more like reset spells so I bet what they used (some sort of reset memorized spells option) is not what they were supposed to use (rest option).

If that is the case then call this problem solved because we have a way to both, clear just the usage of the spells or clear the whole list.

Thanks for the fast feedback...

Moon Wizard
August 10th, 2011, 09:59
If the automatic initiative is not working after migrating from a d20_JPG campaign, just toggle the option to another value and back to fix it.

Thanks,
JPG

ionofrao
August 10th, 2011, 22:19
If the automatic initiative is not working after migrating from a d20_JPG campaign, just toggle the option to another value and back to fix it.

Thanks,
JPG

I can confirm that worked for me, thanks for the help

ionofrao
August 11th, 2011, 01:55
Another issue we noticed is that when you click the cast button it does not mark the spell as used from your memorized list

Moon Wizard
August 11th, 2011, 02:04
This is as designed. The reason is that when you are using the mini sheet or combat mode on the main sheet, the spell will disappear when you mark it as cast. After you click the spell cast button, you still might need to specify damage or effects.

Regards,
JPG

ionofrao
August 11th, 2011, 02:55
We are also doing some testing against some monsters from the built in pathfinder bestiary, and it looks like range touch spells such as scourching ray are going against the monsters CMD and not there range touch ac.

We try changing the range touch ac and it dosent affect it, but changing the cmd does...

ionofrao
August 11th, 2011, 03:03
We are also doing some testing against some monsters from the built in pathfinder bestiary, and it looks like range touch spells such as scourching ray are going against the monsters CMD and not there range touch ac.

We try changing the range touch ac and it dosent affect it, but changing the cmd does...

We also notice that if your CL check against a creature that has SR fails it still rolls the attack, it might be nice to have it not bother to roll the attack if you fail to bypass SR...

SLB
August 11th, 2011, 03:11
This is as designed. The reason is that when you are using the mini sheet or combat mode on the main sheet, the spell will disappear when you mark it as cast. After you click the spell cast button, you still might need to specify damage or effects.

Regards,
JPG
Would it not be possible to have the spell marked as cast once the action moves to the next creature in the combat tracker?

To clarify, the spellcaster casts the spell. It remains visible and is not marked so effects can be determined. When the GM or spellcaster advances the turn in the combat tracker the spell then is marked as cast and disappears from the mini sheet.

Probably tough to code eh?

Moon Wizard
August 11th, 2011, 06:47
Spell Ranged Touch vs. CMD? (ionofrao)
I'll look into it.

CL check with attacks and saves (ionofrao)
Currently, the cast is actually 4 separate actions. (base cast message, attack roll, CL check and save) If one of the actions does not apply (i.e. attack/save), then you won't see anything. However, they are all going off for every spell. The framework doesn't currently support a chain of action rolls, though it is on my wish list. (i.e. cast -> CL -> attack -> save -> damage)

Checking off spells at end of turn (SLB)
Yeah, it would be a whole new set of code to remember which actions the player took, then check it off on their turn. The spells are on the PC sheet, while the turns are handled by the CT. They are linked, but it makes code that crosses the boundary a little more work. Also, then other scenarios would have to be handled, like what happens if they cast, and the turn marker is not on their entry? Or ammunition decrement? etc.

Cheers,
JPG

Callum
August 11th, 2011, 08:45
CL check with attacks and saves (ionofrao)
Currently, the cast is actually 4 separate actions. (base cast message, attack roll, CL check and save) If one of the actions does not apply (i.e. attack/save), then you won't see anything. However, they are all going off for every spell. The framework doesn't currently support a chain of action rolls, though it is on my wish list. (i.e. cast -> CL -> attack -> save -> damage)
Sorry, JPG, I'm not clear from this what clicking the Cast button iis suppsoed to do. Does it just send a text message to the chat window, or should it also make attack/CL/save rolls?

Moon Wizard
August 11th, 2011, 19:05
The cast button performs 4 simultaneous actions:

* Basic cast information - Just displays the spell name and target
* Attack roll - If an attack is specified in the spell roll entry, then an attack roll will be made (and applied to target, if any).
* CL check - If target is defined and target has SR value, then a CL check will be made.
* Save - If a save is specified in the spell roll entry and a target is defined, then a save roll will be made for the target vs. the spell DC.

Regards,
JPG

heliopolix
August 13th, 2011, 04:45
Bug: Temporary modifications to armor class.

It was once possible to Ctrl-scroll on AC to modify it temporarily up or down.

The temporary AC field no longer exists.

Any temporary AC inherited from a converted d20jpg campaign are now "permanant" as they cannot be changed.

ionofrao
August 13th, 2011, 19:57
Spell Ranged Touch vs. CMD? (ionofrao)
I'll look into it.

Cheers,
JPG

Any update on this yet?

Moonsteroony
August 16th, 2011, 18:44
Hello,

I've finally managed to have the test indicate SUCCESS. However, my players can't log on as the error message says to verify host address and try again.

Now what do I need to do?

Cheers,

Moonsteroony

PS By the way, I've read all the threads on the subject and have not come upon this problem...

Zeus
August 16th, 2011, 18:55
If your players are getting a 'verify host address' message when trying to connect to you, and you as the host have verified that the connection test is successful (meaning your firewall is open and forwarding packets to the correct internal IP), I would ask each of your players to confirm the alias they are using to connect to you with or ask them to connect to you using your external IP address.

You can check the alias and the external IP from the 'Load Campaign' or 'Create New Campaign' pages of the FGII launcher. To get the external IP address you are currently assigned by your ISP, click the 'External' field under the 'Internal' field on the right hand side of the page. The alias (if enabled) being used is also listed just below the IP information on the right side of the page.

Moonsteroony
August 16th, 2011, 19:00
Hello,

Thnx for the quick response.

I've tried both types of connection, 1) with the indicated External address, and 2) with the aliases.

The test is still successful, but the players still can't connect. From what I've read elsewhere, there is nothing required of the players save entering the correct information. Is this still the case?

I've lost a lot of time with this connection problem of FG 2, and I'm losing patience. I understand that you guys can't take care of all the possible connections schemes, but mine is a simple modem-router (wired too!) connection, and with a known and reliable router.

I hope that you understand that I've put a lot of time and effort into creating a world that I've imported in FG 2; but without players able to connect, it's all for nothing.

Still, thnx for the help... hoping there's more. ;)

joshuha
August 16th, 2011, 19:07
Why don't you hop onto the FG chat (If you click on Community Menu its on the right or https://fg2.rpg-vault.net/) and see if one of us hanging out there can connect to you. That way you can isolate if its an issue on your end or your players. Sometimes, players can be behind things like university or government firewalls that are really strict but usually only the GM has to worry about opening up port 1802.

Zeus
August 16th, 2011, 19:10
Head on over to the IRC chat channel here (https://fg2.rpg-vault.net/).

PM me your IP, alias and start up an FGII campaign.

I'll see if I can connect, if not, and your OK for me to do so, I'll port scan your external IP to see if we can troubleshoot the problem.

EDIT: Joshua beat me to it :) Damn my slow fingers ...

Blackfoot
August 17th, 2011, 16:49
However, it primarily handles attack rolls and conditions currently, not specific modifiers.
Is it in the plan to add this eventually? There are a bunch of spells that have scaling modifier effects... it would be great to be able to set that as a status or whatever with a round timer.

Moon Wizard
August 17th, 2011, 17:22
Spell ranged touch vs. CMD (ionofrao)
It's on my short list, but I'm actually out of the country on vacation; so it will be a couple weeks before I can sort out what is happening here.

Automatic parsing of spell modifiers (Blackfoot)
It's on the wish list for 3.5E ruleset. No scheduled plans yet.

Regards,
JPG

Moonsteroony
August 19th, 2011, 04:58
Hello,

For those who have problems like me hosting a game passing through a router's firewall, bypass it by plugging directly in the computer.

I've wasted many hours trying to figure it out; read many forums, including this one; called Cisco for port forwarding; dropped my Windows 7 firewall (while still using the router), but all for nothing. I just didn't want to believe that my router was the guilty tin can.

The last stretched from Cisco had me paying to get a 3rd party advanced setting session (70$). No thank you. So I just disconnected the router, plug directly in my computer, and there you go, I can now host.

It's a bit annoying to have to unplug and plug again, but at least I haven't lost all the work I've done on my campaign.

Bottom line, it should be easy to connect and host in FG 2, unless you decide to stick with the firewall.

Hamish
August 23rd, 2011, 19:51
Found 2 bugs:

1. Players can double click another players portrait. The will get an empty character sheet, plus the following error:

Script Error: [string "charsheet/scripts/charsheet_skilllist.lua"]:95: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)
Script Error: [string "charsheet_combat:ac"]:1: attempt to index field 'encumbrance.armormaxstatbonusactive' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "charsheet_combat:touchac"]:1: attempt to index field 'encumbrance.armormaxstatbonusactive' (a nil value)
Script Error: [string "charsheet_combat:touchacstatmod"]:1: attempt to index field 'encumbrance.armormaxstatbonusactive' (a nil value)

2. When converting the characters from the old 3.5E to the new 3.5E ruleset, alls skills that consist of 2 or more words are now double on the character sheet. One with a capital only on the first word, and another with capitals in some following words.

Hamish
August 23rd, 2011, 21:00
Another one:

Using /act as the GM has the same result as using /story, while /emote works like an /act, but for the GM's name not the selected identity. Hope that makes sense....

Callum
August 23rd, 2011, 21:59
2. When converting the characters from the old 3.5E to the new 3.5E ruleset, alls skills that consist of 2 or more words are now double on the character sheet. One with a capital only on the first word, and another with capitals in some following words.

Yes, we had this problem too, converting from the d20 ruleset to 3.5E v2.8. I wondered if I should juts manually edit the db.xml file to remove the duplicates?

The other character sheet conversion issue we had was that although all feats, abilities and spells had the links filled in, they just opened blank entries. Conversely, the skills had blank link boxes.

Callum
August 23rd, 2011, 22:09
Further to the issue with magic item text missing, it appears that all items with more than one paragraph of text are missing their second and subsequent paragraphs. As we can't overwrite the d20 (or 3.5E) library modules, it would be good to get this fixed by the developers.

inuroku842
August 27th, 2011, 17:29
How do I delete created subskills? Accidentally made too many and now i'm cluttered

inuroku842
August 27th, 2011, 17:42
figured that bit out. it's player controlled on that. but how do i lock the skill points? and how can they finalize their skill points like they were able to do in previous versions like 2.7? they are still able to adjust their skill points and i am finding it quite annoying.

Blackfoot
August 27th, 2011, 20:17
figured that bit out. it's player controlled on that. but how do i lock the skill points? and how can they finalize their skill points like they were able to do in previous versions like 2.7? they are still able to adjust their skill points and i am finding it quite annoying.
The whole skill point element is superficial now. There was a post about the rationale for it... basically the gist of it was that FG is not intended to be a character builder... so the point spending element is more of an extra that isn't being fully supported... at least that's how I interpreted the message... I'll see if I can find the post...

inuroku842
August 27th, 2011, 20:49
The whole skill point element is superficial now. There was a post about the rationale for it... basically the gist of it was that FG is not intended to be a character builder... so the point spending element is more of an extra that isn't being fully supported... at least that's how I interpreted the message... I'll see if I can find the post...
Please do because that is quite annoying. How can the entire program function correctly if the one of the main parts of its interface, an advertised feature, is not working properly? It's a part left out and seems lazy to me to come up with an excuse of "it's not a character builder." There has never been need for any off program character management systems and I don't feel it should start now.

Blackfoot
August 27th, 2011, 21:09
Please do because that is quite annoying. How can the entire program function correctly if the one of the main parts of its interface, an advertised feature, is not working properly? It's a part left out and seems lazy to me to come up with an excuse of "it's not a character builder." There has never been need for any off program character management systems and I don't feel it should start now.
I can't see getting upset about it. It was buggy in the previous version and really more of a pain than a help at times.
Yes.. it was kinda cool when it worked right but it wasn't in any way necessary. With all the great new stuff in 2.8.. it doesn't seem worth a rant.

inuroku842
August 27th, 2011, 22:13
I can't see getting upset about it. It was buggy in the previous version and really more of a pain than a help at times.
Yes.. it was kinda cool when it worked right but it wasn't in any way necessary. With all the great new stuff in 2.8.. it doesn't seem worth a rant.Ya, I suppose you are right. Just not having the best day and then that was kind of annoying. Really would like to see that get fixed though. 2.8 is a great update, but I still want that to work right.

cpbs
August 28th, 2011, 00:10
Runtime Error: D3DXCreateTexture failed - D3DPOOL_MANAGED

Does not seem to cause any problems just an error message during the game.

Moon Wizard
August 28th, 2011, 08:50
3.5E Conversion issues (Hamish, Callum)
I'll have to look into the skill doubling issue. I bet it's just differences in the capitalization, or something like that.

The link boxes for the skill are new, and simply a place for you to add a link from a module if you want.

For the links opening empty windows, make sure the right modules are open. If you already have them open, then please send me a copy of your db.xml file for your campaign along with a couple examples of characters and items where the links have broken.

GM Emote (Hamish)
This is addressed in 2.8.1 beta.

Missing magic item text (Callum)
The modules provided my FG have always had this text missing as far as I can tell. It's on our wish list. If someone beats me to the XML updates, send me the updated module and I'll send it out.

Skill assignment (inuroku842)
The skill assignment part of the 3.5E ruleset was taken out for multiple reasons. It was a constant source of confusion as to how it worked, it was buggy, and it was limited to 3 character classes. On a related note, we are working on a character converter application that will allow you to import characters from Hero Lab/PCGen (3.5E) and WotC Character Builder (4E). Check it out in the Laboratory forum.

D3DXCreateTexture errors (cpbs)
These errors seem to be caused by FG being minimized when new graphic objects are created. While they shouldn't affect your game, you may be missing certain graphics. I'm tempted to remove the minimize capability I added, since it's directly related.

Thanks,
JPG

Hamish
August 28th, 2011, 11:24
Just a friendly reminder: I reported another bug about the players clicking another player's portrait and getting an error. Don't see it on your list.

Moon Wizard
August 28th, 2011, 21:29
Thanks, I had it in my notes, but didn't have anything to add yet.
JPG

Nylanfs
August 31st, 2011, 00:30
Umm, maybe I'm missing it, how do I import a character?

Trenloe
August 31st, 2011, 00:34
Umm, maybe I'm missing it, how do I import a character?

Check the character importer here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15025)

Or, were you refering to the /exportchar /importchar commands in the ruleset?

Nylanfs
August 31st, 2011, 00:40
Nope that is what I was wanting thanks :)

NW_Salmon_Watcher
September 4th, 2011, 07:17
Greetings.

I just read through the 8 pages of the "Release v2.8" thread and I have not seen anyone else post anything on this, so I think this problem is unique to my situation, but here goes...

My group & I have not gamed since late June (I know - we're sad about that too), so the 2.8 update was only run recently. After it, I went into FG2 for the first time since late June and have noticed some delays and hesitation in responses from the system. For example, when I issue a /save command, there is a 2 or 3 second delay whereas before it was instantaneous. I have also noticed some hesitation while typing text into Story files. I will get several sentences of smooth typing, followed by a pause, then a sudden "catch up" of typed text will appear.

Tonight my wife ran her Update - as we're hoping to end our hiatus tomorrow night - and after her update, she went into FG2 to check out the new digs, but found MASSIVE delays in typing in text, rolling dice, etc.

So since no one else is posting about delays following 2.8's release, I am guessing it's our issue - not a release 2.8 issue.

What could this be caused by and how can I remedy it?

I tried flushing the database, but that didn't seem to fix the issue, or at least not right away. Does a FLUSHDB command take time to work out?

Aside from the Update and a little dungeon prepwork, the only other things I have tried was some module work. I am trying to follow Xorne's suggestion of moving images, stories, etc., into Modules to save time, but I am not having a lot of luck with that. Could any of my attempts to streamline my overloaded images/story inventory have cause this slowdown?

Please help - I'm confused and frustrated and DESPERATE to game successfully again! Thanks, everyone.

Trenloe
September 4th, 2011, 07:28
Aside from the Update and a little dungeon prepwork, the only other things I have tried was some module work. I am trying to follow Xorne's suggestion of moving images, stories, etc., into Modules to save time, but I am not having a lot of luck with that. Could any of my attempts to streamline my overloaded images/story inventory have cause this slowdown?

As a quick test to see if your modules are causing an issue - create a new campaign and don't open any of your modules. Then see if you have the same issues. If you don't, open each modules one-by-one and check for issues. This might help you to at least identify if it is a specific module causing you problems.

wbcreighton
September 5th, 2011, 19:25
As a remote possibility could it be that your Anti-virus software program is running a scan in the background. At the start of my last session, I found that Mcafee was scanning my hard drive and FG was really really slow, until I cancelled the scan.

Moon Wizard
September 6th, 2011, 01:28
flushdb works instantaneously, and it simply clears the which portions of the database are visible to users.

A couple questions to help narrow:
* Which game system are you running on FG?
* Try running a new campaign with and without your modules, as a comparison.
* If only your older campaign, can you please zip up the campaign folder and send to support at smiteworks dot com?

Thanks,
JPG

Azure Gulf Pirates
September 7th, 2011, 18:35
I've been following this thread on-anf-off since it started. I haven't seen the following two issues listed that I can recall, but I'm too lazy to go back and review the whole thread.

3.5E ruleset, BTW.

#1. I usually use the /vote command to ask the players if they're ready to start. I've delayed because I see a vote line with a bunch of empty circles on my end; the players say they see the click marks on their end, however.

#2. I post my game logs so the players can review them during the week before the next game. The log used to show who made each roll. It appears that the logging feature now labels the DM and his created NPCs/Monsters, but player rolls aren't labeled, and that can get confusing when editing and reading the logs.

Thanks for your attention. It looks like this version's a real step up from the previous one in a lot of areas.

Moon Wizard
September 7th, 2011, 21:52
The vote issue will be addressed in v2.8.1.

To see the actors for each roll, there is an option via the options dialog in the upper right corner buttons to show actors for rolls.

Regards,
JPG