PDA

View Full Version : Image Panning for players

neilgfoster
July 28th, 2011, 14:31
Does anyone know if it is possible for a player to pan an image and it NOT snap back to its state when the GM shared it?

The behaviour that I observe when sharing images with players is:

* The GM shares an image with the player
* The player then sees the image as the GM sees it, including its currently zoom level and panning position
* A player can pan the image, but cannot zoom. As soon as player releases the mouse on the pan control, the image snaps back to its original position.

I would like for players to be able to pan and zoom an image themselves. I have no problem with the image updating back to the GMs view if the GM shares the image again.

Is this the in-built behaviour of images in FG, or is this coded in the rulesets somewhere?

Thanks in advance

Moon Wizard
July 28th, 2011, 16:44
This is built-in behavior for FG. It was part of the design from the original developers.

A re-design of the map/image interface is on the wish list, and something I want to see personally.

Regards,
JPG

Iceman
July 28th, 2011, 16:53
This is on my wish list as well! TWO Christmas cards for you if you manage to get it worked in soon! ;)

This is built-in behavior for FG. It was part of the design from the original developers.

A re-design of the map/image interface is on the wish list, and something I want to see personally.

Regards,
JPG

neilgfoster
July 28th, 2011, 16:54

Thought so. Thanks for the quick response

I think the current functionality works and am quite happy with it in the rulesets that I have created and play. However, for certain types of games I dont think it is very well suited.

I've been looking at creating some new rulesets which are more 'board game' focused - such as Heroquest. It is these types of games where the current map functionality causes problems - players expect to be able pan and zoom around the whole map at will.

It would be nice if this functionality could go on the wish list for a future release.

Keep up the good work!

Moon Wizard
July 28th, 2011, 17:44
Please let me know as you develop these board-game centric rulesets what kind of hurdles you run into, and features you would like to see.

This is another path I want to explore, but a little further in the future.

Thanks,
JPG

Leonal
July 28th, 2011, 18:01
As a trick the player can scroll the image and then right click when in the desired position. This will lock the image location until the player scrolls again or the GM updates the map.

If you right click while panning the image will continue panning until it hits the border.

Trenloe
July 29th, 2011, 02:16
As a trick the player can scroll the image and then right click when in the desired position. This will lock the image location until the player scrolls again or the GM updates the map.

If you right click while panning the image will continue panning until it hits the border.

Great tip! Never knew that - a couple of my players will be very happy. Thanks!

neilgfoster
July 29th, 2011, 12:51

Interesting. Is that actually a feature, or a bug in FG?

Leonal
July 29th, 2011, 15:19
It's too convenient to be a bug. :D (It's been there since before Smiteworks USA took over IIRC.)

Moon Wizard
July 29th, 2011, 17:41
I'm pretty sure it's technically a bug based on the original design, but because it is useful to many people, there's no reason to fix it.

Cheers,
JPG