PDA

View Full Version : 4e Block Mechanic

Mooses8D
July 28th, 2011, 03:06
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to run a 4e adventure with a few modifications to the rule set to mimic enemy encounters akin to Monster Hunter or Demon's Souls, more specifically, allowing someone with a shield to be able to block a LOT of incoming damage instead of just being able to avoid it using AC.

The idea behind it all is that I'm trying to make more interesting boss encounters so that the players will work as a team and such, and I need the "tanks" of the setting to be able to survive several hits as they are gonna be fighting things larger than they are.

So I'm trying to put together something that's REALLY effective, but not so effective that it's all they do. Here's what I have so far:

Block:
At-Will * Personal
Standard Action * Martial, Stance

Requirement: You must be using a shield
Effect: You assume a stance that bolsters your defenses against oncoming attacks and are granted the following bonuses:
-You can shift up to half of your speed
-You can damage resist of 1/2 Fort + Shield Type/Enhancement

Special: While blocking, you cannot use your AC and Ref defenses. If an attack is made against these defenses, they automatically hit you and the damage is mitigated by your stance. Also, if the direction of the attack comes from the side or from behind you, you do not gain the DR and you are struck by the attack.

The shield type bonuses would be Light = +1 and Heavy = +2, and then you would add your enhancement bonus (Light Shield +1 = +2 DR)

So for a level 2 character with a Fort of about 18 and a heavy shield, their DR while blocking would be around 11. Which seems high, but I want to be able to throw boss encounters that can do between 10-15dmg a hit at least, so that a Tank would be VITAL to the success of the encounter.

I have some other things lined up like Feats that let you use your AC and Ref to avoid hits normally and other stuff. Any ideas/comments would be appreciated, thanks.

---==Edit==---

Was thinking about dropping the DR to 1/3 of Fort instead? Would make it decent but not too high, but still able to scale with gear/stats? That might be better.