View Full Version : Building Combat Tracker Entries Error

July 27th, 2011, 02:31
I keep getting the following error when I drag personalities into my encounters:

Script Error: [string "scripts/combattracker.lua"]:164: attempt to index field 'redeal' (a nil value)

It doesn't crash the session, but I'm nervous that my module is corrupt in some way. Has anyone had this happen before?

July 27th, 2011, 03:15
I'll take a look tonight at what that might be - I'd guess it's a harmless bug if everything else is still working, but if it's flashing the console up then it needs stomping.

The redeal field is used to monitor redealing for the "quick" edge. The error suggests it's not getting setup properly when your dragging the personality onto the combat tracker.

Can you confirm the version your using (type "/version" at the chat window). And if there is anything special about your campaign setup (e.g. are you using any modules or extensions ?) Are these personalities you've created, or ones you've picked up from a library module ? Do you still get the error if you drag entires onto the tracker from the "Bestiary" section of the SWEX GM guide ? How about if you start a brand new campaign, can you recreate the problem there ?

Note that once opened, the console window has a tendency to "hide" behind other windows, so you may not see further errors unless you keep it in sight.

And, for what it's worth, I tore that part of the code apart for v3.2 last night, so chances are that bug is gone now anyway. But would be good to check if I can recreate it, or diagnose it in the version your using, and perhaps put out a mini-patch if required.

July 27th, 2011, 11:24
Quick look, and that's the line that sets the redeal value to "0", which is the default value for new entries.

The error suggests that redeal variable is not present - perhaps you have an extension that in some way overwrites the default combat tracker ? If so, that would explain the error, as such an extension may not have been updated to deal with this new value, only introduced in 3.1. In such a case, I'd happily work with the extension author to bring it back into "SWEX 3.1 compatibility".

Otherwise, let me know the outcome of the above questions (e.g. ARE you using version 3.1, and so forth...)

July 27th, 2011, 15:31
Thank you for your quick response, you truly do a wonderful job of helping the community.

And of course you were right-on with the diagnosis. I had accidentally selected the old Savage Worlds unofficial patches extension. I don't know why the extension was selected, as I just started the campaign last night and I know not to select it, but there it was. I just tried it again without the extension selected and I no longer have the error.

Thanks again phantomwhale! And thanks for all your work on the ruleset!