PDA

View Full Version : Library Issues

Casimir
July 27th, 2011, 00:32
I've got a strange issue I just encountered last night with the Library when I started a new Call of Cthulhu game. I like to have the following Libraries shared with the players when they join -

Game System
Letter Tokens
Reference
Using the Ruleset
Utilities

For all of those, I have enabled them using "Force load for players", and then made certain that the book icon is open.

However - last night the only Libraries that would actually show up in the Library for the players was "Using the Ruleset", "Game System" and the Letter Tokens - and for a couple of them, even though the Library icons were there, they were un-clickable and no data appeared in the right hand side of the Library window.

We were having some issues with our ISP last night here in the South, so I assumed that might be part of the problem at that time. However, I decided to give it a test here on my system with a test player connection, and the same thing is happening now (DM instance w/ player instance connecting via system's internal IP address - not 127.0.0.1).

All of my players are using FGII unregistered, and I am of course using an Ultimate Licensed version of FGII for them to connect to.

I've never really checked to see if this is a default setting of the Call of Cthulhu ruleset or not... even though I have done a lot of player to DM connections to test certain things. However, I would assume it's not - unless the "Reference" and "Utilities" Libraries are DM only? If they are, they don't indicate as such - and that still wouldn't resolve the issue with players not being able to view the Libraries that did display in their Library window.

Moon Wizard
July 27th, 2011, 02:34
I haven't heard of any issues with modules like you are using them.

For the Letter Tokens module, there should not be any library entries anyway.

Do you see the same issue connecting on the same machine using 2 instances of FG?

Also, there are 3 types of modules:
* Host - GM only data, can be overriden within a campaign for customization.
* Client - GM controls access, but module must be installed on client. Read only data.
* Common - GM controls access, and data is downloaded to client. Read only data.

The module type is controlled by the name of the file within the module that holds the data (db.xml = Host, client.xml = Client, common.xml = Common). Most modules are simple ZIP files, and can be inspected by renaming to .zip.

I'm not familiar with the CoC modules, but you should be able to open and review whether they should be downloading or not, based on their module type.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
July 27th, 2011, 02:49
However - last night the only Libraries that would actually show up in the Library for the players was "Using the Ruleset", "Game System" and the Letter Tokens - and for a couple of them, even though the Library icons were there, they were un-clickable and no data appeared in the right hand side of the Library window.

I was typing a big long answer to this, then I noticed MW had replied...

I think you may find that the 2 library modules the players can't open are "client" modules (client.xml file within the .mod file). These modules have to be installed on each of the players PCs. This is usually done to restrict copyright info for reference material - so, I don't know if this would be legally allowed for the CoC modules in question without each of the player's purchasing the them too!

I've experienced this with the Castles & Crusades reference material - the rulebook reference is "Client" so only players who have purchased the C&C modules can open it within their game. Kinda makes sense (although it can be annoying) as essentially this module contains all of the rules from the rulebook...