PDA

View Full Version : Local Images in Play Campaign

quid.tu.facis
July 26th, 2011, 08:43
I'm searching for a means to have images ready to share in the "play campaign" that aren't attached to a module.

We're running 4E with Fortune Cards (also Warhammer with cards and Gamma World with cards), but at the moment it seems the only options are 1) put all 89 images in the module and every module or 2) disregard the cards and write up the stats on the story sheets. In both cases, everything has to go in the module.

Is there a way (a work-around) to have images availabe for sharing through FGII without them having to be in the module? Just have them on the host campaign ready to share regardless of what module is being run.

thanks,

Leonal
July 26th, 2011, 08:57
Put them in \campaigns\"campaign name"\images.

Or do you mean that the campaign is a "module" and not a module (through /export) in FG terms?

If you mean the latter you can create a campaign with all the images in, the type /export and check the circle next to "Images & Maps" and below "H". Type in the relevant name and filename and "right click + export." It should then be available in all of your campaigns using that ruleset. You may also want to read up on modules in the library here, if you're unfamiliar with it.

edit: If you put images in a module you only have to do it once and you just open that module from within the campaign you want to use the images in.

quid.tu.facis
July 26th, 2011, 09:53
You're right.

I wasn't thinking clearly to let something so obvious escape me.

I can either create a module just for the images and have that open the same time I have the adventure module open.

Or I can just put the images directly in the 'images tab' already located in the campaign I'm using to play the adventure module.

I hate it when I'm a nob.

Thanks

GMTroll
July 26th, 2011, 17:22
Personally I would go with the module approach as you can reuse the module without any additional effort required.

There is not right or wrong method here and I would recommend sticking with the method you are most technically comfortable with.

Out of interest how are you handling managing decks and drawing cards?

quid.tu.facis
July 26th, 2011, 21:23
Out of interest how are you handling managing decks and drawing cards?

For the D&D Fortune Cards:
We don't have individual decks but a single deck with an infinite number of cards.

The players roll 8d20 + 1d6 - 8 for a result between 1 and 158. 3 numbers per common, 2 numbers per uncommon, 1 number per rare of 89 total cards.

On a story sheet I have links to the card images crossrefernced with the possible rolls. I simply share the corresponding image to their roll of the dice.

The players close the image for cards that aren't theirs and when they use their card. I keep track of who has what by keeping a minimized image of their card beneath their portraits. Closing out cards they use.

The GMs for Warhammer and Gamma World haven't worked out how they'll handle the cards for those games yet.

thanks

Callum
July 27th, 2011, 11:36
The players roll 8d20 + 1d6 - 8 for a result between 1 and 158. 3 numbers per common, 2 numbers per uncommon, 1 number per rare of 89 total cards.
This will make the numbers in the middle of the range much more common than the ones at the end - is that your intention?

quid.tu.facis
July 27th, 2011, 13:32
Thanks that's a good point

Originally I thought there was a way to roll a single d158 die, but when I right clicked on the dice and went to the d1 d2 and d3 dice I wasn't able to figure out how to make a d158 die.

I rationalized that it would be more fun to rull a lot of dice anyways and didn't really put any more thought into it.

I did start a new thread on fortune cards outside of the House of Healing that talks more about the unintended consequences of rolling multiple dice. D&D Fortune Cards (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=112116#post112116)

I'm glad you brought this to my attention.

Thanks

Zeus
July 27th, 2011, 18:53
A couple of suggestion which may smooth gameplay for you.

On a story sheet I have links to the card images crossrefernced with the possible rolls. I simply share the corresponding image to their roll of the dice.

The players close the image for cards that aren't theirs and when they use their card. I keep track of who has what by keeping a minimized image of their card beneath their portraits. Closing out cards they use.

Try dragging the said card image to the PC's (who has drawn it) portrait. This should share the image to the one player only. Saving the other players from having to close the cards they haven't drawn.

Also if you, as the DM, hover the mouse over an entry in the Images & Maps window that has been shared (mouse over the S symbol), a tooltip should appear giving you the names of the players the card has been shared to.

Also, in the other thread you created on Fortune Cards, I have suggested it might be possible to use 4E Tables to manage your decks and card selection.

quid.tu.facis
July 27th, 2011, 19:40
A couple of suggestion which may smooth gameplay for you.

Try dragging the said card image to the PC's (who has drawn it) portrait. This should share the image to the one player only. Saving the other players from having to close the cards they haven't drawn.

Also if you, as the DM, hover the mouse over an entry in the Images & Maps window that has been shared (mouse over the S symbol), a tooltip should appear giving you the names of the players the card has been shared to.

Thanks for the tips.

I didn't know any of that.

thanks

Griogre
July 27th, 2011, 20:17
Alternatively, it is easy enough to roll a 160 die and re-roll 159 and 160. Roll a d8 and subtract 1. Multiply this number x 20. Roll a d20 and add the number rolled to the multiplied amount.

IE 1d8 and 1d20 when the d8 rolls a 1 and the d20 rolls a 13 is (1-1) x 20 + 13 = 13.

IE 1d8 and 1d20 when the d8 rolls a 4 and the d20 rolls a 20 is (4-1) x 20 + 20 = 80.