PDA

View Full Version : Traveller 5 extension

peterb
July 24th, 2011, 11:27
I'm releasing an extension to the Classic Traveller ruleset for the Traveller 5 game. The extension is still a beta product. Traveller 5 it self is still in draft mode and only available to pre-order customers so I don't expect a large user group for this extension. It could however be used as a base for a Traveller 4 and possible a MegaTraveller extension, so there might be of some use to a larger audience.

The extension mainly removes features that are not used in Traveller 5. There is very little automation. Traveller 5 uses a quite different dice mechanics compared to earlier versions of Traveller. The player rolls n*d6's depending on the difficulty of the task vs. a target number which is the sum of the relevant stat and skill level. This can easily be accomplished in FG by using HotKeys (for one to five or so d6's).

The extension file includes a change log file and a license file.

Enjoy!

ps. If you find any bugs please post them in this thread. Thanks! ds.

Herodian
August 23rd, 2011, 16:02
It looks like you can get the draft rules for T5 from farfuture.net for $35 on a cd. Is that a sign that it won't be published proper?

peterb
August 23rd, 2011, 18:21
That's a pre-order of the finished rules. The CD contains the latest draft rules. T5 will not be published in paper but rather as a collection of PDF files plus text files, image files and spreadsheet utilities. The final product will be shipped as a CD.

Herodian
August 23rd, 2011, 19:02
Oh, very good! Thanks for the info. That either wasn't clear from the site or (more likely) I didn't read it carefully enough. I will definitely buy that.

peterb
August 23rd, 2011, 20:40
Hmm, as I think more about it, it might be a good idea to drop farfuture.net a mail to get a 100% confirmation. I bought the pre-order two years ago and as a pre-order customer I can download newer drafts from the farfuture.net site. I assume that the CD has been updated since but I cannot 100% grantee it...

StuartW
August 24th, 2011, 07:23
I think the T5 material is also under non-disclosure, so only pre-order customers can see it. Not sure if a T5 extension would be the right side of the NDA line or not. Might be worth checking.

Stuart

peterb
August 24th, 2011, 08:27
Well, there's no NDA. There's a three year old request to keep T5 "semi-closed". The extension does not implement much of the rules of T5 and that which is implemented fully falls within fair use. One could even make a strong argument that those rules lack copyright protection in the first place. So IMHO there's noting to worry about.