PDA

View Full Version : Module Export problems

Casimir
July 24th, 2011, 07:49
I've got some strange issues I'm encountering when I attempt to export a scenario I just finished creating for the Call of Cthulhu ruleset, and I'm not really sure what's going on, and as such, how to fix it.

1. For some odd reason, some of the images and maps get all screwed up in size and width. When I do the export, they are at their default size (i.e., what they normally show as right when you open them). But with a couple of them, they are either zoomed way out to almost 500% of their original size, or half the image is cut off because the image rendered only half of the window. Both issues I can deal with by clicking CTRL and dragging the window size around and zooming to get the desired size - but I'd still like to know why this is happening.

2. Tokens... yes, Tokens. I've watched Xorn's videos, and have tried to set it up so that my tokens appear like they should on my Personalities. But they still don't... no matter how I try to do it. How can I get my tokens to actually import into my module properly?

3. Combat Tracker. No matter how many things I create in the combat tracker, they simply will not export along with the module. When I open the module up in another campaign, all my combat tracker personalities are gone.

4. Sometimes when I load the module up into the campaign, the only thing that shows up is the Story. None of the bookmarks for maps and images, personalities, or notes show up. DESPITE that, when I click on links that include images, maps, or personalities, they will pop up normally - but still don't show in the list. If I /reload the campaign, they will then populate like they should (usually).

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

damned
July 24th, 2011, 13:08
For problem 1 - did you replace/resize any images during the creation process? If you rename the files to something new (that would break any map pins) do they display correctly then?

Casimir
July 24th, 2011, 16:35
No, not at all. The only thing I did to the images was rename them within FGII. No resizing at all - they are already at the size I wanted them... and I have not placed any pins on them either.

By "rename the files to something new," do you mean renaming the file and then trying to export it again (after setting it up in FGII again of course)?

Sorcerer
July 24th, 2011, 17:09
1. i have not heard of any problems with images after exporting.
most of my problems occur when importing in the first place. images in the CoC ruleset are limited to 200x200 minimum and 700x700 maximum size.

if the image is smaller than 200x200 FG will zoom in until the image fills the minimum size. I hate this as it makes for a really poor image, the only solution is to set the image on a background of 200x200 in photoshop or the like, and drop that image in the folder. Larger images do not usually zoom out, but they show the scroller bar.
There are also some problems, (in all the rulesets i've seen, where if your image is much longer in one direction than the other the scaling is "wrong" this is most evident in images of text (Like player handouts of letters). FG likes square images, if they are not square you can get some problems.

lastly (and the only export 'problem' I can think of), if you do set the image up nicely and adjust the scaling to look good, this is not preserved when you export so you go back to square 1 again.

2. exporting tokens in CoC (and most other rulesets) is fairly simple. If you want them associates with the NPC then drop them on the circle at the top left of the NPC sheet. Then export the NPC. If you have already associated the token with the NPC it will be exported with it, you do not need to drop the tokens on the export window (I only do that for extra tokens that are not associated with an NPC sheet)

3. Combat tracker entires are not exported to modules (that true of all rulesets). you need to drop them in before every fight. Some rulesets have an encounter window where you can set up encounters in advance, these are exportable and then entry of the encounter into the CT is only 1 button click away, but sadly CoC does not have that feature yet.

4. This is a know (and annoying) bug that is associated with all rulesets (as far as I am aware). there are two solutions (I favor the first).leave the module activated and close and reload FG. This always solves the problem (at least for me)./ Alternatively creating a new entry or category tab in each window sometimes forces FG to refresh and they all appear.

Casimir
July 24th, 2011, 18:21
Ok - well with the images issue, for one of my images the size issue might be a problem... but the other one shouldn't be as it's larger than the minimum and smaller than the maximum. It's an image of a telegram - wider than it is long. When the ruleset displays it (after the export in another campaign), it only shows the left half of the image, and I have to CTRL + mouse to set it to the right size. Another telegram image at the same resolution doesn't have this problem at all.

In regards to the tokens - are you saying that I have to export the NPC itself along with it's token? I'm not exactly sure what you are saying there - sorry for the confusion.

The combat tracker isn't as much of an issue if only I could eliminate the automatic chat display when I create an encounter personality. Every time I drag something into the CT it displays the stats of what I dragged in the chat window - and for obvious reasons I'd prefer that not to be the case. It forces me to set up any possible encounter personality immediately prior to the game before anyone connects to it.

As far as the bug - just reloading the ruleset seems to be the best option for me.

Sorcerer
July 24th, 2011, 18:37
yes, if you want the token to be be on the personality, then you need to drop the token onto the personality.

you can then export the personality and the token will go with it.

if you export the token on its own it will remain on its own, and will appear in the token box in a box with the same name as the module.

Moon Wizard
July 24th, 2011, 22:30
Casimir,

If you have examples of images that always zoomed/sized oddly when exported, then please send them over to [email protected] Having an example that consistently has the issue allows me to pinpoint any issues rather quickly.

When you have the issue with campaign tabs not appearing when you load a module, I'd like to get more information.
* Was this a module you created using /export? (It sounds like it, just want to be sure.
* Are the campaign image, npc, item windows open while you are opening the module? Or have they been opened during the session before opening the module?
Again, I would like to try and find steps I can reproduce quickly, and preferably in a new campaign so you don't have to pack everything up and explain how to get it set up again.

Thanks,
JPG