PDA

View Full Version : Displaying NPCs turns/flag in the chatbox

demonsbane
July 23rd, 2011, 21:33
Hi,

A friend mine wants to make a ruleset modification or an extension for changing the current behavior of the 'd20 based' GURPS ruleset. The desired goal is to display the names of the NPCs from the combat tracker in the chatbox, so by looking at the chatbox contents the players can be automatically aware of who (or what) is about to act.

I commented to her that ideally, that should be switchable since there are many situations in which the GM doesn't want that the players known the exact list of NPCs that is populating the Combat Tracker -like bandits hidden in midst of a skirmish, waiting for a surprise attack.

And then I remembered that the DnD4e ruleset already covers this.

Under 4e, the names of the NPCs do appear in the chatbox, except when their token visibility button is switched to hidden, making the NPC names to be predated by "[GM]" and not being displayed at all in the player's view:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12554407/NPC%20turns%20in%20the%20Chatbox.jpg

The token visibility button in the 4e tracker not only shows-hides the NPC token in maps, but also enables/disables the NPC's turn visibility in the chatbox, which is exactly what we are looking for.

Also, I think that could be interesting to use a different flag graphic for contradistinguish better between PCs and NPCs. Making a different flag graphic is easy, but implementing it in the code for working in the intended way isn't.

We'd like to implement these features to the current GURPS ruleset, and any guidelines for doing it would be very appreciated. This afternoon my friend did grow a bit bored after searching without success what pieces of info should be modified in ruleset files like combattracker.lua, combattracker_active.lua and such.

Moon Wizard
July 24th, 2011, 22:54
Since the combat tracker and the character sheet are the two most complex systems in each ruleset, they can be fairly complex to edit/augment.

The best way I've found to learn about a specific feature of a ruleset is to have a good editor that supports multi-file searching. I use Notepad++ for my ruleset editing, and it has a built-in multi-file search that allows me to search over all XML and LUA files in a ruleset in one shot.

For example, my suggestion to learn more about the turn message is to perform a multi-file search for "[TURN]". Using a quick search in the 4E ruleset, the turn message is generated in the combat_entry.lua file.

I would suggest starting with something simple, like modifying the turn message, and work up to the full implementation of hidden NPCs. Hidden NPCs impact token visibility, turn messages and roll/result visibility. These are all separate subsystems within the rulesets I wrote (4E, d20_JPG).

Regards,
JPG

demonsbane
July 25th, 2011, 02:07
Thank you for the advice moon_wizard.

I'll see if we can achieve some results regarding these Combat Tracker features, maybe with a bit of time.