PDA

View Full Version : Square to Hex

mPicart
July 22nd, 2011, 03:03
In a map, when I change the grid from Square to Hex, the tokens don't lock into the center of the Hexes. I tried re-sizing the tokens, and also turning off and turning back on the Grid lines, but that doesn't help. When I go back to Square, the tokens are fine, they just don't seem to center in the Hexes.

phantomwhale
July 22nd, 2011, 04:32
I've not played the Rolemaster ruleset - but as an aside, I've only just added Hex grid token locking support into the Savage Worlds ruleset for the next release (it was authored by the same company, initially).

I believe hex grids were added after the development of these rulesets, so it might simply be that nobody has added hex support back in - certainly I've built up a nice list of "would like" features for Savage, but no-one's ever mentioned the lack of proper support for hexes ! So I suspect not many people have used this feature much.

That said, it wasn't too hard to support (most of the code is in the 4E ruleset, so copy and paste job, really).

mPicart
July 22nd, 2011, 15:36
I think that as the Square was the standard grid for D&D, the Hex was the standard grid for Rolemaster.

Oh Great, I'm finally starting to get the program from a player's and DM's perspective, and now I have to tinker with the code:( .

Yes, I confirmed that, using the 4E ruleset, the tokens lock properly when changing from a Square to a Hex grid. So, the Rolemaster Classic ruleset, it seems, also didn't get the code fix. Bleh.

Would you be able to point out exactly how you fixed yours (which part of the code was copied from the 4E ruleset and replaced into the Savage Ruleset)? I'm hoping that it is easy enough for me to follow along.

RKBrumbelow
July 22nd, 2011, 17:46
I think that as the Square was the standard grid for D&D, the Hex was the standard grid for Rolemaster.

Oh Great, I'm finally starting to get the program from a player's and DM's perspective, and now I have to tinker with the code:( .

Yes, I confirmed that, using the 4E ruleset, the tokens lock properly when changing from a Square to a Hex grid. So, the Rolemaster Classic ruleset, it seems, also didn't get the code fix. Bleh.

Would you be able to point out exactly how you fixed yours (which part of the code was copied from the 4E ruleset and replaced into the Savage Ruleset)? I'm hoping that it is easy enough for me to follow along.

There was no "standard" grid for Rolemaster.

Also please remember you can modify the source for RMC, but you cannot distribute the modifications. Further, you are asking PW to reveal the changes he made to a closed and commercial system he codes for, which he is not supposed to do without permission.

-------

Why yes, Killjoy is what the "K" stands for.

mPicart
July 22nd, 2011, 18:32
Sorry, I suppose it seemed standard to me. The Rolemaster books mentioned different ways to keep track of distance and have seemed to point out specifically Hex (and their book even gave a sample Hex page one can photo-copy.

Anyway, I'm sorry for asking for something that could cause problems for people; I didn't realize what was involved. Though, it makes me wonder, why the programmers have not gone back to fix that locking mechanism with the Hexes; from what I'm hearing, it seems to be a problem with all the rulesets outside of 4E.

I have always favored Hexes, but I suppose I'll just have to learn to love Squares; or take a dab at the Ruleset.

I really do appreciate everone's input in my recent questions; there is great support from the community, which I am thankful for.

One can complain, why doesn't the program do this or that; but, considering the complexity of Rolemaster, I have come to appreciate what the program actually does. I am happy with Fantasy Grounds, and look foward to any updates they may have for the app.

RKBrumbelow
July 22nd, 2011, 18:59
I also prefer hex to square.

As to why things were not changed: You likely know all rulesets before 4th ed. D&D have a number of things 'missing' from later ones. If you were to post a message in the 'house of healing' forum then one of the devs might be able to get the change into v1.3 of RMC.