PDA

View Full Version : Utility - Character Importer

Moon Wizard
July 20th, 2011, 23:34
Updated on August 7, 2012.

Cody, our wonderful intern, has been busy cranking away on the import utility.

In addition to the items reported so far, he has added support for importing Pathfinder and 3.5E characters from Hero Lab into 3.5E campaigns, as well as PCGen output sheets whose output can be imported using the tool.

If you have Hero Lab, please let us know and give it a try.

The latest version of the character converter can be used from the FG Start Menu group. There will either be a dedicated link for the converter (newer installs) or you can find it in the Application Data Folder link under the Utilities subfolder (older installs).

Cheers,
JPG

Moon Wizard
July 20th, 2011, 23:41
Here are the list of known limitations/issues.

4E - Wizards Character Builder

Attack and damage bonuses to specific powers not available (Dirty Fighting, Burning Blizzard, etc.)

Pathfinder - Hero Lab

Initiative breakdown
Speed breakdown
Spell class primary stat missing
Spell class penetration missing
Spells per level (for Memorized Casters) missing
Armor max dex bonus missing
Armor skill check penalty missing
Armor spell failure missing
Inventory location missing

3.5E - Hero Lab

Same as Pathfinder, plus...
Skill ranks missing
Spell effect/target/area missing

JPG

Moon Wizard
July 20th, 2011, 23:43
Please let us know if you use the character import utility and which game system and character generator you are using it for, regardless of whether you run into issues. We want to hear more about which systems/generators will get the most mileage out of this utility.

JPG

phantomwhale
July 21st, 2011, 00:54
Well, I'm gunning for a SWEX import option out of Hero Lab now :)

Moon Wizard
July 21st, 2011, 01:06
It looks like SW - Hero Lab is first on the list after D&D - PCGen. ;)

JPG

Leonal
July 21st, 2011, 02:20
Wow this is awesome! Thanks Cody!
You should post this over at the HeroLab forums too.

Results of a few different conversions (some with slight variations in the feats or equipment of the character):
The second try included multiple characters in one file and only took the first one.
The last try is an animal companion bear.

Conversion Start
Date/Time: 21.07.2011 09:31:43
Import File Format: Hero Lab Pathfinder .xml
->Path: C:\Users\Thomas\Documents\Hero Lab\portfolios\pathfinder\Kingmaker\Jedgon_Lain.xm l
Output to Xml: false
Import to Local Character List: false
Import to Campaign: true
test pf2->Path: E:\Games\Fantasy Grounds II\Appdata\\campaigns\test pf2\db.xml
----Conversion Errors----
Node Read Error. <Name:character; Path:deity/@name>
---------Results---------
Successfully imported to campaign test pf2
--------------------------------------------------------------
Conversion Start
Date/Time: 21.07.2011 09:35:22
->Path: C:\Users\Thomas\Documents\Hero Lab\portfolios\pathfinder\Kingmaker\Ragnar_Steinsk alle_Olafsson.xml
Cannot import to campaign test pf2. Error: Name cannot begin with the '>' character, hexadecimal value 0x3E. Line 173, position 8.

Conversion Start
Date/Time: 21.07.2011 09:54:34
->Path: C:\Users\Thomas\Documents\Hero Lab\portfolios\pathfinder\Nir.xml
Cannot import to campaign test pf2. Error: Name cannot begin with the '>' character, hexadecimal value 0x3E. Line 215, position 8.
Conversion Start
Date/Time: 21.07.2011 09:55:01
Cannot import to campaign test pf2. Error: Name cannot begin with the '>' character, hexadecimal value 0x3E. Line 215, position 8.
Conversion Start
Date/Time: 21.07.2011 09:55:27
Conversion Start
Date/Time: 21.07.2011 10:00:14
test PF->Path: E:\Games\Fantasy Grounds II\Appdata\\campaigns\test PF\db.xml
Cannot import to campaign test PF. Error: Name cannot begin with the '>' character, hexadecimal value 0x3E. Line 504, position 8.
Conversion Start
Date/Time: 21.07.2011 10:00:30
->Path: C:\Users\Thomas\Documents\Hero Lab\portfolios\pathfinder\Pooh.xml
testagain->Path: E:\Games\Fantasy Grounds II\Appdata\\campaigns\testagain\db.xml
Node Read Error. <Name:weapon; Path:@quantity>
Node Read Error. <Name:weapon; Path:weight/@value>
Node Read Error. <Name:weapon; Path:cost/@text>
Node Read Error. <Name:weapon; Path:@quantity>
Node Read Error. <Name:weapon; Path:weight/@value>
Node Read Error. <Name:weapon; Path:cost/@text>
Successfully imported to campaign testagain

A few things I noticed after a brief test:
-It does not export trait or feat bonuses to skills.
-Does not add weapon bonuses to hit or damage (e.g. +3 dagger).
-The "Cannot import to campaign test PF. Error: Name cannot begin with the '>' character, hexadecimal value 0x3E. Line 504, position 8." Happens sometimes when I try to add a character to a campaign which already has characters in it.
-Penalty to movement from armor is added to the misc and not armor box for movement speed.

Otherwise it looks great! Thanks a bunch!
Now if you could get this to import NPCs too it would be supreme. :) (I only GM Pathfinder, but have many NPCs in Herolab)

edit: cleaned up a bit

Trenloe
July 21st, 2011, 02:34
Wow this is awesome! Thanks Cody!

I'll echo that sentiment! Looks absolutely fantastic! :)

I ran a quick PAthfinder test with a 2nd level Dwarven Cleric - direct importinto a campaign. Most stuff came through pretty much spot on. However:

- Skill descriptions aren't populated.

- Spells are "hidden" until spells known have values greater than 0. This appears to be a problem with the default XML output from Herolab as I see the spellsknown tag empty ("<spellsknown/>") in the Herolab output.

I'll do some more testing and see how it goes.

I use HerolLab and PCGen for Pathfinder characters - some of my players players use HeroLab and some use PCGen so I need to use both.

Great work so far!

Thanks!

cstebbins
July 21st, 2011, 21:32
Leonal
Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately this bug "Penalty to movement from armor is added to the misc and not armor box for movement speed" is a problem resulting from the limited information given by HeroLab output. We are working closely with HeroLab to expand the information given by custom output, but it won't be fixed any time soon.

As for this bug "Cannot import to campaign test PF. Error: Name cannot begin with the '>' character, hexadecimal value 0x3E. Line 504, position 8" I haven't encountered it, but I was able to artificially recreate by manipulating the db.xml file. For me to truly fix this bug it would be great if next time you encounter it you could post the db.xml, located in the FG2 Application Data folder under the campaigns directory, and error message.

Trenloe
Thanks for the feedback! I will look into both of these problems and see what I can come up with. I also wanted to let you know that PCGen support is currently in the works.

Leonal
July 22nd, 2011, 03:06
That's good to know.

I tried to make a new campaign and didn't get the error, so I suppose it might have to do with me trying to import to campaigns created during earlier releases of 3.5E v2.8.

Moon Wizard
July 27th, 2011, 03:11
Just posted an update from Cody.

Updates

PCGen Pathfinder and 3.5E now supported.*
"Install PCGen Support" conveniently installs all the necessary files for PCGen 3.5/Pathfinder export. Run with administrative privileges to enable this.
More user friendly error handling. Errors from convert now display in log and disable convert button.
Hero Lab PF/3.5E: Skill descriptions now populate.

Known Limitations to PCGen Support

No breakdown of speed points. All speed points dumped into base.
Special speed movement types (fly, etc..) may not convert.
Special senses beyond vision may not convert.
Armor and weapon proficiencies show up in feats.
Empty spellsets will sometimes display in spellsets.
Spell actions may not contain all actions for a spell.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
July 27th, 2011, 05:03

Updates

"Install PCGen Support" conveniently installs all the necessary files for PCGen 3.5/Pathfinder export. Run with administrative privileges to enable this.
More user friendly error handling. Errors from convert now display in log and disable convert button.
Hero Lab PF/3.5E: Skill descriptions now populate.

Known Limitations to PCGen Support

No breakdown of speed points. All speed points dumped into base.
Special speed movement types (fly, etc..) may not convert.
Special senses beyond vision may not convert.
Armor and weapon proficiencies show up in feats.
Empty spellsets will sometimes display in spellsets.
Spell actions may not contain all actions for a spell.

Regards,
JPG

Sounds great!

Which version of PCGen is this for?

I've just ran a very quick test in PCGen 5.16.4 OOC6 (the stable release with the latest data set) for a level 1 Pathfinder wizard:

- Skill ranks didn't come through at all. The "skilllist" tag is empty: <skilllist> </skilllist> (I'm assuming this is what is used to populate the skills?)
- Spells - only short descriptions came through, no spell details. Is this what you refer to as "Spell Actions" above?

I don't know if this is because I'm not running the same version of PCGen - or because it wasn't installed in the standard directory? But, I loaded the output sheets to .\outputsheets\d20\fantasy\htmlxml and selected the csheet_FantasyGrounds2_pc_3.5.xml template when outputting - so I assume the directory doesn't matter.

cstebbins
July 27th, 2011, 08:31
This program is designed for the current version of PCGen, but should be compatible with all versions. Great catch Trenloe on the skill list feature. Looking over the code I found a bug that could prevent the <skilllist> element from being populated. As for the spells the description that is populated is, as of current, all of the description that can be gathered for a spell. I will be posting the updated program tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback and glad you had the time to try it out.

Best regards,
Cody Stebbins

Trenloe
July 27th, 2011, 09:51
This program is designed for the current version of PCGen, but should be compatible with all versions. Great catch Trenloe on the skill list feature. Looking over the code I found a bug that could prevent the <skilllist> element from being populated. As for the spells the description that is populated is, as of current, all of the description that can be gathered for a spell. I will be posting the updated program tomorrow.

No problem helping out with some testing - I'm doing a bit more... I'm sure a lot of these are on your to do list, but just in case I'll list them:

Good news:
- I created a 1st level Cleric and all of the cleric spells populated perfectly - full descriptions under the link next to the spell. :-)

I've tested Wizard and Bard spells and they don't populate with full info. :-(

Further findings:

- Speed shows as 6 and "walk 30ft." in special movement, for example - when speed should be in 5ft. increments?

- <specialabilitylist> doesn't populate.

- Money doesn't populate.

- Armor "max stat" (armormaxdexbonus) isn't being shown.

- CMD - size mod should be the same as for CMB (-1 for small, +1 for large, for example). Currently it looks like it's reating size the same as for AC.

Thanks for all of the work, I'm sure lots of people really appreciate it -it's looking great so far!

I'm happy to do more testing for you if you'd like.

Cheers,

Martin.

cstebbins
July 27th, 2011, 19:59
Trenloe you are a superb beta tester! I've added all of your comments to the todo list. I should have a version with your comments addressed and some new features by today or tomorrow. Thanks again for being so thorough and dependable with your feedback.

Best regards,
Cody Stebbins

Moon Wizard
July 30th, 2011, 02:45
New update to character importer.

Multiple character convert support.
Spell DC ability set for Hero Lab core classes and all classes PCGen.

JPG

Leonal
July 30th, 2011, 12:04
I just tried to import a Bard (Songhealer archetype) from Herolab, but none of the spells ported to the actions-tab.

Trenloe
July 30th, 2011, 12:17
I just tried to import a Bard (Songhealer archetype) from Herolab, but none of the spells ported to the actions-tab.

I reported this in post #7 of this thread.

Increase the spells known to their correct value and you should see the spells "appear". :)

Leonal
July 30th, 2011, 12:35
Ah thank you! I'm blind it seems^^

edit: Spells known(per day) were at their correct levels...or in the xml?
edit 2: I had two characters, a bard and an oracle and the Oracle got its spells correctly.

Trenloe
July 30th, 2011, 12:50
Ah thank you! I'm blind it seems^^

edit: Spells known(per day) were at their correct levels...or in the xml?
edit 2: I had two characters, a bard and an oracle and the Oracle got its spells correctly.

Thats a shame - I hoped it was going to be an easy "fix" with the spells known. I haven't done much testing of the Hero Lab import so not sure which spellcaster classes work OK and which don't.

Mooses8D
July 30th, 2011, 21:03
Used the Character generator for a 4e game. Used the D&D Insider account Character builder. For the most part everything seems clear, except for a few small issues that can be worked around.

1-Characters wearing heavy armor (Chain, Scale, and Plate) are imported with a -3 to their AC, but this is fixed by just adjusting it manually.

2-When applying the Skill Check penalty to a skill that only has 1/2 Lvl modifier, it doesn't seem to calculate the armor check penalty until it's adjusted.

For example: If I have a zero Dex modifer (10-11) and I'm level 2, I should have a +1 to Acrobatics, and if I'm wearing heavy armor (Chain for example), I should have a -1 to Acrobatics checks so my overall score should be zero. When the character is first imported, the check is still +1 as a result of the 1/2 level bonus. If I adjust the "Misc" category on the skill sheet at all, it then adds in the armor check penalty and sets it to a -1 (after I set it back to zero)

3-Inventory elements and weapons on the combat tab seem to populate without a reference tag on them (the little red card on the right side of the item), but everything else seems to work fine (abilities/powers)

Outside of that it works great. Again, nothing major, just a few things that can easily be worked around.

Thanks again for this utility, it works amazing in tandem with FG2.

---===Edit===---

On point number 2, it seems that the Armor check penalty isn't calculated every time the character is loaded. After closing the character sheet, the armor check penalty isn't calculated the next time it opens up, and needs to be recalculated by adjusting the Misc score.

Moon Wizard
July 31st, 2011, 19:02
Found an issue that potentially corrupts the database when importing a HeroLab Pathfinder file. It might be localized to HL PF characters, but I disabled download link until we identify.

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
August 1st, 2011, 17:34
The issue has been resolved, and the download link reactivated.

Additionally, Cody has implemented an installer, so it can be easily installed/uninstalled.

Regards,
JPG

Leonal
August 2nd, 2011, 01:30
Thanks to both of you! :)

Edit: May I suggest an option in the new installer to not create a desktop shortcut?
Thanks!

Moon Wizard
August 3rd, 2011, 04:58
Character converter updated.

Can overwrite existing characters on import. Appearance, notes, spell rolls (3.5E) and power abilities (4E) are preserved.
New icon
New application icon
HL import: Memorized casters available spells per level set to one for all levels, since data is missing in HL export.
HL: Spell DC stat added.
PCGen: Spell Descriptors (Acid, Cold, etc..) added.
PCGen: Spell Schools/Subschools added.
PCGen: Empty spellsets are removed.

Also, it turns out that the built-in MS installer does not provide an ability to display an option for whether to setup a desktop shortcut, just on or off. However, it does a very good job of making sure any dependencies are installed for older Windows versions, which is why we're using it.

Cheers,
JPG

Raedmere
August 7th, 2011, 20:06
Thanks for crafting such a great product!

It ran fine the first time. I saved a Hero Labs character in xml format, then used the importer to add it to my campaign. It was amazing and wonderful. :) Alas, every time I have ran it since then I get this error:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at System.Xml.XmlNode.SelectNodes(String xpath)
at FGCharacterConverter.CharacterConverterForm.Conver tHLToXml(XmlNode input)
at FGCharacterConverter.CharacterConverterForm.conver t_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventAr gs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.O nMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.W ndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.235 (RTMGDR.030319-2300)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
CharacterConverter
Assembly Version: 1.0.4229.22588
Win32 Version:
CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Fantasy%20Grounds%20II/Character%20Converter/CharacterConverter.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.235 built by: RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.232 built by: RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

It looks to me like i might not be exporting the characters correctly, but I can't find any documentation.

I had written my own rudimentary tool for PCGen, but this is so much nicer, no XML editing! Thanks again! :D

UPDATE: I redownloaded and ran it again, get the same "NullReferenceException", but now with a bonus "Corrupted assembly: please redownload program." error. So I redownloaded, installed and uninstalled a few times more, same problem. Might have a problem with .NET version? Will try reinstalling .NET now

cstebbins
August 7th, 2011, 22:17
Thanks for reporting the bug Raedmere. Now given that you used the installer the .NET framework should have been installed for you, but in case you would like to double check it requires the .NET 4 framework (Client or Extended).

In order for me to address it properly I am going to need a little more information. If you could provide as much of the following as possible that would be great!
What operating system are you running and 32-bit or 64-bit?
How have you interacted with the program before the error occurs?
Where is the error displayed (Windows System popup, Console, or Converter popup)?
Does the error crash the program?
Screenshot of the program throwing the error.
Any Hero Lab .por or .xml outputs you used with the converter. Label the ones that have caused the error.
System specs. (I recommend this tool if you don't know how to access your specification easy. https://www.piriform.com/speccy)

I am testing the application and trying to reproduce that error, but I am having difficulties without knowing more about your setup. Thanks again for the feedback and glad you liked.

Best regards,
Cody Stebbins

ddavison
August 8th, 2011, 06:22
A NullReferenceException sounds like you have a piece of data not filled in that it expects to find filled in. Attaching or sending the xml files should help debug it further -- but my guess is that it has something to do with the specific character.

Does your first try character still exist in the form that worked the first time?

Does it allow you to import that character into a brand new campaign?

Doc_Waldo
August 8th, 2011, 11:05
Maybe a stupid question, but is it possible to import from Hero Labs 4e files? If I used Hero Labs instead of Wotc insider character builder would it be possible to import the file? Thanks.

krb243
August 8th, 2011, 16:49
i've tried several times to import different xml herolab pathfinder characters into both existing and a new 3.5 pathfinder campaign, but i get the same error

----Conversion Results----
Null Argument Node. <Path:@name>
Null Argument Node. <Path:armorclass/@fromsize>
Null Argument Node. <Path:attributes/attribute[@name='Strength']/attrbonus/@modified>
Null Argument Node. <Path:attributes/attribute[@name='Dexterity']/attrbonus/@modified>
Null Argument Node. <Path:attributes/attribute[@name='Strength']/attrbonus/@modified>
Null Argument Node. <Path:attributes/attribute[@name='Dexterity']/attrbonus/@modified>
Null Argument Node. <Path:classes/@level>
Null Argument Node. <Path:classes/@level>
Null Argument Node. <Path:@name>
Null Argument Node. <Path:race/@name>
Null Argument Node. <Path:alignment/@name>
Null Argument Node. <Path:personal/@age>
Null Argument Node. <Path:size/@name>
Null Argument Node. <Path:deity/@name>
Null Argument Node. <Path:personal/@gender>
Null Argument Node. <Path:personal/charheight/@text>
Null Argument Node. <Path:personal/charweight/@text>
Null Argument Node. <Path:money/@pp>
Null Argument Node. <Path:money/@gp>
Null Argument Node. <Path:money/@sp>
Null Argument Node. <Path:money/@cp>
Null Argument Node. <Path:xp/@total>
Could not convert : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

what the heck is going wrong? it must be something i'm doing wrong or the importer doesn't like vista 64. help please!

Moon Wizard
August 9th, 2011, 00:43
Doc_Waldo,

We haven't looked at importing the Hero Lab 4E files yet, since most people are using the DDI Character Builder for their 4E characters. It's on our list to look at adding in the future, but we wanted to focus on the most used scenarios first.

Thanks,
JPG

krb243
August 11th, 2011, 00:15
excuse me mr moon wizard, but can you take a minute or two and look at the error i posted above?

Moon Wizard
August 11th, 2011, 01:49
krb243,

Cody is actually the one working on the utility, and he was pulled away by a family emergency. I will have him take a look as soon as I can.

Thanks,
JPG

cstebbins
August 11th, 2011, 03:41
Hey everyone. I want to apologize on the lack of response. I've been working on a new update that will bring the program cross-platform. It's currently working in Ubuntu Linux and needs to be tested in Mac. That should be out soon. On top of that my Dad has fallen ill and I've been attending to my family.

Raedmere
Wait for the next update and your problem should be solved. Although if you could send me those system specifications that would really help.

Krb243
I believe you have exported your character incorrectly. To export your character correctly from Hero Lab you must click File->Save Custom Output and then in the dialog select the "Generate XML File" button and click output.

Everyone
Expect a new update soon. If any of you have Linux or Mac systems I especially would love your testing support on the newest update coming out.

Best regards,
Cody Stebbins

Zeus
August 11th, 2011, 16:58
You can sign me up for Mac testing.

Is this native Mac/Linux support or via a Windows service wrapper like Wine?

Mopsothoth
August 11th, 2011, 18:51
Best wishes for your father.

This is a great utility, can you comment on this 'error'. Overall the import looks good, I'm just wondering what I may be missing on my original D&DI character that may be flagging this:

Conversion Start
Version: 2.8.1A
Display Ruleset: 4E
Internal Ruleset: 4E
Source Format: Dungeons & Dragons Insider .dnd4e
->Path: C:\DND_4E_Characters\Adran.dnd4e
Output to Xml: true
->Path: C:\Documents\DND_4E_Characters\Adran.dnd4e
Import to Campaign: false

Node Read Error. <Name:D20Character; Path:CharacterSheet/StatBlock/Stat[alias/@name='Saving Throws']/@value>
Adran successfully converted.
Adran successfully outputted to XML
Successfully saved output xml to file.

Moon Wizard
August 11th, 2011, 21:00
Another character converter update. The plan is to release the character converter officially with v2.8.1.

Notes

Please uninstall all previous versions of Character Converter
Characters exported from PCGen using the sheets from older versions of Character Converter will need to be exported again if the "Invalid PCGen file" error occurs.

Updates

Changed from installer back into basic utility executable.
Uses .Net v2 (instead of v4) which is pre-installed under Windows 7/Vista, and is supported by Mono on Mac/Linux.
Tested on Ubuntu Linux v11.04. Right click on the .exe -> Click Open with -> Click "Use Custom Command" -> Type "mono" -> Open. Mono should be a default launcher for .exe's now allowing you to simply double click and open the file.
Other Linux distributions (not tested) : Ensure that Mono is installed and follow above directions. Link to dl: https://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html
Data accuracy improvements

Regards,
JPG

krb243
August 11th, 2011, 22:34
thanx cody, ur right, i was not exporting from herolab incorrectly. i knew i was causing my own problem, but didn't know where. btw, it was nice meeting u at gencon last saturday when u first told me about the converter ;)

tpkurilla
August 14th, 2011, 20:36
Greetings!

It was great to see you again at GenCon!

I've used the converter many times trying to figure out the circumstances that the import works, but I'm at a loss.

When I run the converter, I will frequently not get the character added to the campaign I selected. A text dump of a typical import at the end of this post.

I've run it with and without "local" selected when I'm importing to a campaign. I've run it with and without the campaign already open in a separate FG2 window. I've generated fresh .dnd4e files for each character. But I just can't nail it down.

It seems to take several runs to actually get the character imported into my chosen campaign. Once it is imported, it has the quirks mentioned by other posters, but is only in need of a bit of tweaking, rather than wholesale entry.

This is a fantastic tool! I just can't seem to get it to import realiably. I just keep re-running it until the character actually gets imported.

Just to re-iterate: Every run *says* that it succeeded, and has a log file very much like the log at the end of this post.

Thanks again for the tool! I'm also looking forward to HeroLab 4e support.

-Thomas

NOTE: I've inserted a space between ':' and 'D20' in the text because the posting editor complained about too many images.
---------------------- LOG OUTPUT -------------------
Conversion Start
Version: 2.8.1B
.Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Thomas\My Documents\ddi\Online Game\Mouse17.dnd4e
Char Import Test.Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Thomas\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II\campaigns\Char Import Test\db.xml
Node Read Error. <Name: D20Character; Path:CharacterSheet/StatBlock/Stat[alias/@name='Default Epic Destiny']/statadd/@String>
Node Read Error. <Name: D20Character; Path:CharacterSheet/RulesElementTally/RulesElement[@type='Power' and @name='First Strike']>
Node Read Error. <Name: D20Character; Path:CharacterSheet/RulesElementTally/RulesElement[@type='Power' and @name='Rogue Tactics']>
Node Read Error. <Name: D20Character; Path:CharacterSheet/RulesElementTally/RulesElement[@type='Power' and @name='Artful Dodger']>
Node Read Error. <Name: D20Character; Path:CharacterSheet/RulesElementTally/RulesElement[@type='Power' and @name='Sharpshooter Talent']>
Node Read Error. <Name: D20Character; Path:CharacterSheet/RulesElementTally/RulesElement[@type='Power' and @name='Sharpshooter Talent (Crossbow)']>
Node Read Error. <Name:RulesElement; Path:specific[@name='Short Description']; Info:Sharpshooter Talent (Crossbow)>
Node Read Error. <Name: D20Character; Path:CharacterSheet/RulesElementTally/RulesElement[@type='Power' and @name='Far Shot']>
Node Read Error. <Name: D20Character; Path:CharacterSheet/RulesElementTally/RulesElement[@type='Power' and @name='Sneak Attack']>
Node Read Error. <Name: D20Character; Path:CharacterSheet/RulesElementTally/RulesElement[@type='Power' and @name='Crossbow Expertise']>
Node Read Error. <Name: D20Character; Path:CharacterSheet/RulesElementTally/RulesElement[@type='Power' and @name='Slaying Action']>
Node Read Error. <Name: D20Character; Path:CharacterSheet/RulesElementTally/RulesElement[@type='Power' and @name='Black Arrow Style']>
Node Read Error. <Name: D20Character; Path:CharacterSheet/RulesElementTally/RulesElement[@type='Power' and @name='Weapon Focus (Crossbow)']>
Node Read Error. <Name: D20Character; Path:CharacterSheet/RulesElementTally/RulesElement[@type='Power' and @name='Backstabber']>
Node Read Error. <Name: D20Character; Path:CharacterSheet/RulesElementTally/RulesElement[@type='Power' and @name='Distant Advantage']>
Node Read Error. <Name: D20Character; Path:CharacterSheet/RulesElementTally/RulesElement[@type='Power' and @name='Distant Shot']>
Node Read Error. <Name: D20Character; Path:CharacterSheet/RulesElementTally/RulesElement[@type='Power' and @name='Crossbow Savant']>
Node Read Error. <Name: D20Character; Path:CharacterSheet/RulesElementTally/RulesElement[@type='Power' and @name='Sniper Action']>
Node Read Error. <Name: D20Character; Path:CharacterSheet/RulesElementTally/RulesElement[@type='Power' and @name='Steady Shooter']>
Node Read Error. <Name: D20Character; Path:CharacterSheet/RulesElementTally/RulesElement[@type='Power' and @name='Unerring Ambush']>
Node Read Error. <Name: D20Character; Path:CharacterSheet/RulesElementTally/RulesElement[@type='Power' and @name='Danger Sense']>
Node Read Error. <Name: D20Character; Path:CharacterSheet/RulesElementTally/RulesElement[@type='Power' and @name='Versatile Combatant']>
Mouse successfully converted.
Mouse successfully imported to campaign Char Import Test

cstebbins
August 14th, 2011, 20:59
tpkurilla
Would you mind sending me your .dnd4e files that were causing problems? Also what operating system are you running?

Best regards,
Cody Stebbins

tpkurilla
August 14th, 2011, 21:31
tpkurilla
Would you mind sending me your .dnd4e files that were causing problems? Also what operating system are you running?

Best regards,
Cody Stebbins

Not at all. Just let me know what your email is.

-Thomas

Raedmere
August 15th, 2011, 18:34
Raedmere
Wait for the next update and your problem should be solved. Although if you could send me those system specifications that would really help.

Krb243
I believe you have exported your character incorrectly. To export your character correctly from Hero Lab you must click File->Save Custom Output and then in the dialog select the "Generate XML File" button and click output.

Thanks for your response, Cody! Actually, your answer to Krb243 solved my problem as well... :D

If it still helps, I'm sending you my speccy snapshot privately

Dershem
August 16th, 2011, 17:14
Question any plans on being able to import monster stat blocks from Hero Lab/Pathfinder doing this?

cstebbins
August 17th, 2011, 07:36
Reply to Talysian
Importing monster stat blocks from Hero Lab and PCGen is a plan in the future, but the current priority is implementing 4E support for Hero Lab and improving the accuracy of the already existing character imports.

Best regards,
Cody Stebbins

cstebbins
August 17th, 2011, 07:42
Character Converter Version-2.8.1.C

Updates

Hero Lab and PCGen 3.5E

Spells are now derived from the Fantasy Grounds 3.5E spell database. Spell data will be more accurate for these.

Hero Lab Pathfinder

Inventory location added

Armor max stat bonus added

Armor skill check penalty added

Spells available per level now available for all classes.

Initiative stat added

Best regards,
Cody Stebbins

Leonal
August 17th, 2011, 07:54
Nice! Thanks for doing this. :)

cstebbins
August 23rd, 2011, 06:45
Update 2.8.1.D
Use link in first post.

Updates

Hero Lab (3.5 and Pathfinder) and Dungeons and Dragons Insider (4E)

Conversion now takes place entirely through XSLT and a custom Character Converter API. Documentation will be released in later updates, but all of the API is in use in the XSLT files which can be exported within the program.
Hero Lab

Bug fix: attackbonus/melee/total replaced attackbonus/grapple/total
Bug fix: attackbonus/melee/misc replaced attackbonus/grapple/misc
New data: attackbonus/melee/total
New data: attackbonus/melee/misc
New data: attackbonus/ranged/abilitymod

Working on Hero Lab 4E support. Let me know how the know if you have any requests for the API.

Best regards,
Cody Stebbins

Crossfireue
August 29th, 2011, 02:25
I'm having trouble importing a PCGen character with this. I've created a Pathfinder character in PCGen 5.16.4, exported as a Fantasy Grounds XML file, and then tried to do a campaign import using the Pathfinder selected in the drop down list, choosing my XML file and Campaign Import with a campaign selected.

I get the error that it is an invalid PCGen file.

Any suggestions?

cstebbins
August 29th, 2011, 02:29
Would you mind posting both the PCGen file and the exported Fantasy Grounds 2 .xml of the PCGen file? Just zip up the two files and post them as an attachment on these forums. I can look into it right away for you.

Also check out the solution Trenloe posted below. If that doesn't work post the files. Thanks Trenloe for helping out!

Best regards,
Cody Stebbins

Trenloe
August 29th, 2011, 04:43
I'm having trouble importing a PCGen character with this. I've created a Pathfinder character in PCGen 5.16.4, exported as a Fantasy Grounds XML file, and then tried to do a campaign import using the Pathfinder selected in the drop down list, choosing my XML file and Campaign Import with a campaign selected.

I get the error that it is an invalid PCGen file.

Any suggestions?

I'm guessing you're selecting the "csheet_FantasyGrounds.xml" file that came with PCGen 5.16.4 and not the new one you need to install from the character converter?

In the Fantasy Grounds 2 character converter there is a menu option (top left) - "Install PC Gen Support" which you need to run to install a new XML file: "csheet_FantasyGrounds2_pc_3.5.xml" and select this when you export from PCGen.

Crossfireue
August 29th, 2011, 18:04
Ah HA. When I saw PCGen listed in the drop-down menu, I assumed I already had PCGen support. Will check that tonight.

Thanks!

Pandar
August 30th, 2011, 22:47
If I were to buy herolab would I be able to import characters for 3.5ed. of D&D easily or is it a complicated process? I am not a code writer or anything and I was just wondering how easy a character converter would be to use for FG2 then?

Thanks in advance for any response. I know they are still tesintg this importer

cstebbins
August 30th, 2011, 23:38
I would say the only difficult learning curve would be using the Hero Lab software, because of how complex and powerful the software is. It is without a doubt the most powerful DnD character creating software out.

As for the Character Converter's ease of use you can test it yourself. You can download PCGen (https://pcgen.sourceforge.net/03_get_pcgen.php), make a character, and use that as a test run for the converter because the process is the same as Hero Lab. I can assure you though I have been designing it to be as user friendly as possible.

Let me know if I can help in anyway. Thanks for expressing interest!

Best regards,
Cody Stebbins

Trenloe
August 30th, 2011, 23:41
If I were to buy herolab would I be able to import characters for 3.5ed. of D&D easily or is it a complicated process? I am not a code writer or anything and I was just wondering how easy a character converter would be to use for FG2 then?

It's not a complicated process:

1) Create your character in Hero Lab.
2) Export (Save Custom Output) the character to an XML file.
3) Load this XML file into the FG Character Importer.
4) Select the FG campaign you want to import to.
5) Press the "Convert" button.

The character should now be in your FG campaign.

No code writing or anything! :)

Pandar
August 31st, 2011, 00:25
This sounds like exactly what I am looking for!! Just one more newbie question though, where is the FG character importer located at? :o

Trenloe
August 31st, 2011, 00:27
This sounds like exactly what I am looking for!! Just one more newbie question though, where is the FG character importer located at? :o

There's a link in the first post of this thread.

Nylanfs
August 31st, 2011, 01:02
I think I see some of the problem with the PCGen support. It might only find PCGen automatically if the person has used the windows installer (roughly half of the users don't).

If you want to manually remove the old FantasyGrounds output sheet follow these steps.

Navigate to "\pcgenXXXX\outputsheets\d20\fantasy\htmlxml" (PCGenxxxx is the version of PCGen that you are using)

Delete the "csheet_FantasyGrounds.xml"

Use the char import tool and select the "Install PCGen support" and select a directory you can find (like the desktop). Then manually move that xml file created into the location previously specified above.

John, Cody if you want us to we can just replace the current file in the PCGen distro and replace it with your updated file.

Pandar
August 31st, 2011, 03:03
Thanks much for taking the time to not only reply, but not say how much of a dipstick I am for not even looking at the first post and realizing that it links to the importer. I will try to keep the stupid questions to a minimum.

Thanks again

Moon Wizard
August 31st, 2011, 23:49
Another update from Cody:

[HERO LAB] Bug fix: Character classes not updating
[HERO LAB] Bug fix: Character senses not updating
[3.5E/PF] Module manager now functional for these rulesets (4E to come). This allows the user entry of modules for use with the character converter so that skills, weapons, armor, equipment, feats, spells, and magic items can be looked up. If Fantasy Grounds 2 is installed than these modules are supported by default. (3.5E Basic Rules, 3.5E Spells, 3.5E Magic Items, Pathfinder Basic Rules)
API stability improved. Node can contain other characters beyond API call now.

Cheers,
JPG

Moon Wizard
September 3rd, 2011, 01:11
And another refresh:

Console output updated. Now includes all data about various options within it.
Updated gui for a more consistent look.
[PCGEN] Null reference error on conversion of any PCGen character. Fixed.
[PCGEN] Campaign import failure for some characters. Fixed.
[PCGEN] PCGen output sheet updater corrupting sheet. Fixed.
[PCGEN] Modules failing to look up data for PCGen characters. Fixed.
[PCGEN] PCGen converter now uses a combination of xslt and local apis to convert data. Allows for modification via local xslt.
[PCGEN] PCGen output sheet updated.

Cheers,
JPG

cstebbins
September 3rd, 2011, 05:21
I think I see some of the problem with the PCGen support. It might only find PCGen automatically if the person has used the windows installer (roughly half of the users don't).

If you want to manually remove the old FantasyGrounds output sheet follow these steps.

Navigate to "\pcgenXXXX\outputsheets\d20\fantasy\htmlxml" (PCGenxxxx is the version of PCGen that you are using)

Delete the "csheet_FantasyGrounds.xml"

Use the char import tool and select the "Install PCGen support" and select a directory you can find (like the desktop). Then manually move that xml file created into the location previously specified above.

John, Cody if you want us to we can just replace the current file in the PCGen distro and replace it with your updated file.

Thanks for pointing this out. I didn't realize that non-installer version was that popular. Along with emailing your team a copy of the .xslt file, I can change context menu that installs the sheet to better support the users who have not installed it.

Best regards,
Cody Stebbins

Nylanfs
September 3rd, 2011, 14:48
Could you have a copy and paste field there? Personally I find those drill-down dialog boxes fairly annoying, but that's just a personal preference. No biggie if your code doesn't support it. :)

Nylanfs
September 3rd, 2011, 15:22
Yes just downloaded the new version and my advanced Rakshasa imported.

Hmm, doesn't look like it captured the initial cleric spells prepared, but that's not a big issue. :)

RAKSHASA CR 13
Male Rakshasa Outsider 11 / Sorcerer / Cleric 4
LE Medium outsider (native, shapechanger)
Init +11; Senses Darkvision (60 ft.), Perception +18,
Aura Aura of Evil, Aura of Law,
DEFENSE
AC 38, touch 21, flat-footed 30 (+7 Dex, +11 natural, +1 dodge, +3 deflection, +2 *Amulet of Natural Armor +2, ), Combat Expertise
hp 154 (11d10)+(4d8)+91
Fort +13, Ref +15, Will +15
DR 15/good and piercing
Spell Resistance 25
OFFENSE
Speed 40 ft.
Melee bite (w/melee weapon) +16 (1d6+1)
Melee claw (w/melee weapon) +16/+16 (1d4+1)
Melee claw (w/o melee weapon) +21/+21 (1d4+3)
Melee kukri +1 +22/+17/+12 (1d4+4/15-20)
Melee bite (w/o melee weapon) +21 (1d6+3)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Channel Negative Energy (2d6, DC 17, 6/day), Detect Thoughts (DC 18),
Known Sorcerer Spells (CL 6th):
3rd (4/day) - lightning bolt (DC 16) , suggestion (DC 16)
2nd (6/day) - acid arrow , invisibility (DC 15) , minor image (DC 15)
1st (7/day) - charm person (DC 14) , mage armor (DC 14) , magic missile , shield (DC ) , silent image (DC 14)
0th (at will) - dancing lights , detect magic , ghost sound (DC 13) , mage hand , mending (DC 13) , message , prestidigitation (DC 13)
Prepared Spells Prepared Spell List
Cleric (CL 4th):
Combat Prepared Spell List
Cleric (CL 4th):
2nd - hold person (DC 16) , invisibility (DC 16) , resist energy (DC 16) , summon monster ii
1st - bane (DC 15) , cause fear (DC 15) , detect good , *protection from chaos (DC 15)
0th - bleed (DC 14) , light , read magic (DC ) , resistance (DC 14)
Social Prepared Spell List
Cleric (CL 4th):
2nd - eagle's splendor (DC 16) , invisibility (DC 16) , owl's wisdom (DC 16) , undetectable alignment (DC 16)
1st - command (DC 15) , comprehend languages (DC ) , disguise self (DC ) , sanctuary (DC 15)
0th - detect magic , guidance (DC 14) , purify food and drink (DC 14) , read magic (DC )
*: Domain spell.
Deity Asmodeus; Domains Law, Trickery,
STATISTICS
Str 16, Dex 24, Con 22, Int 17, Wis 18, Cha 17
Base Atk +14; CMB +17; CMD 38
Feats Armor Proficiency, Light, Armor Proficiency, Medium, Channel Smite, Combat Expertise, Deceitful, Dodge, Improved Channel, Improved Critical (Kukri), Improved Initiative, Martial Weapon Proficiency Output, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Weapon Finesse
Skills Acrobatics +7, Acrobatics (Jump) +11, Appraise +3, Bluff +28, Climb +3, Craft (Untrained) +3, Diplomacy +23, Disguise +32, Escape Artist +7, Fly +7, Heal +4, Intimidate +6, Knowledge (Nobility) +8, Knowledge (Religion) +10, Perception +18, Perform (Oratory) +21, Perform (Untrained) +6, Ride +7, Sense Motive +18, Spellcraft +11, Stealth +21, Survival +4, Swim +3,
Languages Common, Infernal, Undercommon
Special Qualities Aura of Evil, Aura of Law, Change Shape, Copycat (7/day), Orisons, Spontaneous Casting, Touch of Law (7/day),
Possessions kukri +1; cleric's vestments; amulet of natural armor +2; belt of incredible dexterity +4; boots of speed; bracers of armor +6; circlet of persuasion; headband of mental prowess (int/wis) +4; ring of mind shielding; ring of protection +3; wand (summon monster iii/sorcerer/6th); wand of cure moderate wounds;

SPECIAL ABILITIES

Aura of Evil (Ex) You project a moderate evil aura.

Aura of Law (Ex) You project a moderate lawful aura.

Change Shape (Su) You have the ability to assume the appearance of a specific creature or type of creature (usually a humanoid), but retains most of your own physical qualities. You cannot change shape to a form more than one size category smaller or larger than your original form. This ability functions as a polymorph spell, but you do not adjust your ability scores (although you gain any other abilities of the creature you mimic).

Channel Negative Energy (Su) You can unleash a wave of negative energy. You must choose to deal 2d6 points of positive energy damage to living creatures or to heal undead creatures of 2d6 points of damage. Creatures that take damage from channeled energy receive a DC 17 Will save to halve the damage. You can use this abilty 6 times per day.

Copycat (Sp) You can create an illusory double of yourself as a move action. This double functions as a single Mirror Image and lasts for 4 rounds, or until the illusory duplicate is dispelled or destroyed. You can have no more than one Copycat at a time. This ability does not stack with the Mirror Image spell. You can use this ability 7 times per day.

Detect Thoughts (Su) A rakshasa can detect thoughts as per the spell of the same name (CL 18th). It can suppress or resume this ability as a free action. When a rakshasa uses this ability, it always functions as if it had spent three rounds concentrating and thus gains the maximum amount of information possible. A creature can resist this effect with a DC 18 Will save.

Orisons You can prepare a number of orisons, or 0-level spells. These spells are cast like any other spells, but they are not expended when used and may be used again.

Spontaneous Casting You can channel stored spell energy into inflict spells that you did not prepare ahead of time. You can "lose" any prepared spell that is not an orison or domain spell in order to cast any inflict spell of the same spell level or lower (an inflict spell is any spell with "Inflict" in its name).

Touch of Law (Sp) You can touch a willing creature as a standard action, infusing it with the power of divine order and allowing it to treat all attack rolls, skill checks, ability checks, and saving throws for 1 round as if the natural d20 roll resulted in an 11. You can use this ability 7 times per day.

ZorxPotz
September 3rd, 2011, 16:46
...thanks for that wonderful tool which makes things alot more easier.
I successfully imported characters from PCgen.
:bandit:
One question though: does the software work with "other" xml files too? Or are they limited to HeroLab & PCGen? I have some characters online at the Myth-Weavers site which do export as "normal" xml files but the converter won&#180;t recognize them as valid files..

I am an illiterate when it comes to coding and whatnot.. is there still some kind of workaround anyhow?

cstebbins
September 5th, 2011, 07:05
Unfortunately because the structure of the xml data is different for each data source the program is limited to what is specifically coded for.

I am planning on adding a feature which will allow you to specify custom xsl transform files to use with the converter, but you would still need to understand how to create an .xslt file.

Best regards,
Cody Stebbins

Moon Wizard
September 5th, 2011, 17:56
Another update:

[PCGEN]PCGen sheets will auto update the PCGen character converter sheets default PCGen location upon program startup. If this location doesn't exist or an alternative path is used the update will fail silently.
[PCGEN]"Choose Location to Install" button added under the "PCGen Sheets" category which allows users to select a directory for the converter to place the PCGen character converter sheets.
[PCGEN]"Copy to Clipboard" button added under the "PCGen Sheets" category which allows users to copy the PCGen character converter sheets to the Windows clipboard.

Cheers,
JPG

ZorxPotz
September 6th, 2011, 00:28
ok - thanks so much - i already thought that this is the case - keep up the excellent work Cody!

:bandit:

Unfortunately because the structure of the xml data is different for each data source the program is limited to what is specifically coded for.

I am planning on adding a feature which will allow you to specify custom xsl transform files to use with the converter, but you would still need to understand how to create an .xslt file.

Best regards,
Cody Stebbins

Mooses8D
September 8th, 2011, 08:17
Just tried using this with a DDI exported character and for the most part it worked, but the character abilities "Human Racial Bonus Feat, Bonus Power, Class Features, etc" didn't load along with some of the weapon proficiency's are missing. The only one that popped up was Simple Ranged when Simple Melee should've popped up as well.

FG2 Converter ver: 2.8.1.G
Class used: 3rd level Cleric(Templar)

Messed around with the output options and noticed some weird things here as well:

When I checked Add Class features, feats, and item properties as powers, I was given several situational powers that had no description, but just the names: DisplayPowers, Class, Flavor, Level, Powers, Short Description, Type, and <<Name>>. They didn't have any info on them or anything.

Moon Wizard
September 8th, 2011, 18:54
Can you send your dnd4e character file to support at smiteworks dot com?

Thanks,
JPG

Mooses8D
September 8th, 2011, 19:44
Just sent it off. Hope this helps.

cstebbins
September 9th, 2011, 21:49
Many of these fixes came from the excellent error reporting of Mooses8d. Thank him for the help!

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15025

Updates

Dungeons and Dragons Insider - 4E

[Bugfix] Simple melee now shows up as a weapon proficiency.
[Bugfix] Special ability list now populates.
[Bugfix] Add class features as powers now works properly.
[Bugfix] Add feats as powers now works properly.
[Feature] Duplicate powers will not populate anymore.
General

[Bugfix] Reduced the number of falsely thrown errors by a significant amount.

Best Regards,
Cody Stebbins

Trenloe
September 10th, 2011, 00:29
Thanks for the latest update - I'm loving this tool! :)

However, I get errors in the module manager. When I try to enable any of the modules I get a long error message that basically says "The system cannot find the file specified" - this is with the standard 4 modules and the same error occurs when "Restore Defaults" is pressed. The path and filename shown for each module (press "edit") is correct.

Not a biggie - but I've been looking forward to trying the module lookup!

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit with FG V2.8.1.

ZorxPotz
September 10th, 2011, 00:59
Thanks for the latest update - I'm loving this tool! :)

However, I get errors in the module manager. When I try to enable any of the modules I get a long error message that basically says "The system cannot find the file specified" - this is with the standard 4 modules and the same error occurs when "Restore Defaults" is pressed. The path and filename shown for each module (press "edit") is correct.

Not a biggie - but I've been looking forward to trying the module lookup!

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit with FG V2.8.1.

(exactly the) same here !!
:confused:

cstebbins
September 12th, 2011, 18:05
Thanks for reporting both of your troubles. I have some further questions.

Can you use the "Add" feature to create a new module entry that does not fail?
When does the error occur in the program?
Could you post the paths the program is listing as the valid module paths?
Has Fantasy Grounds 2 been installed in the default directory?
Have either of you tampered with the Fantasy Grounds 2 modules?

Until this is fixed you can uncheck the "Use modules from the module manager to lookup data" option and the program should work regardless of this problem.

Currently I am debugging the program, but I can't seem to find any problems on my 32 bit machine. I will need to wait till I can access my 64 bit machine to do further diagnostics.

Best Regards,
Cody Stebbins

Trenloe
September 12th, 2011, 23:47
Thanks for reporting both of your troubles. I have some further questions.

Can you use the "Add" feature to create a new module entry that does not fail?
When does the error occur in the program?
Could you post the paths the program is listing as the valid module paths?
Has Fantasy Grounds 2 been installed in the default directory?
Have either of you tampered with the Fantasy Grounds 2 modules?

Until this is fixed you can uncheck the "Use modules from the module manager to lookup data" option and the program should work regardless of this problem.

Currently I am debugging the program, but I can't seem to find any problems on my 32 bit machine. I will need to wait till I can access my 64 bit machine to do further diagnostics.

Best Regards,
Cody Stebbins

I've got this working by running the app as Administrator. Sorry, it's usually one of the first things I do when apps start misbehaving.

cstebbins
September 12th, 2011, 23:49
Trenloe,
Good to know. Glad you got it working. Let me know if anything else comes.

ZorxPotz,
Have you tried running it administrator mode? Perhaps you are having the same problem as Trenloe.

Best regards,
Cody Stebbins

ZorxPotz
September 13th, 2011, 01:56
ZorxPotz,
Have you tried running it administrator mode? Perhaps you are having the same problem as Trenloe.

Best regards,
Cody Stebbins

Yes, always launched it in administrator mode. Let me run some tests to get back to your other questions...
:o

Trenloe
September 13th, 2011, 02:15
Yes, always launched it in administrator mode. Let me run some tests to get back to your other questions...
:o

When you say "administrator mode", you do mean right-clicking on the executable and selecting "Run as Administrator"? Just logging in as an administrator is not the same.

ZorxPotz
September 13th, 2011, 02:45
When you say "administrator mode", you do mean right-clicking on the executable and selecting "Run as Administrator"? Just logging in as an administrator is not the same.

yep, that´s what i meant! starting the tool by RIGHT-CLICKING the exe with administrator rights!

Trenloe
September 15th, 2011, 11:27
I've got this working by running the app as Administrator. Sorry, it's usually one of the first things I do when apps start misbehaving.

Sorry, I must have been running an older version. I still get the problem, even running as administrator. Version with issues: 2.8.1.H

To answer your questions Cody:

- Can you use the "Add" feature to create a new module entry that does not fail?

I can't add a new module - the "Path" entry is greyed out. Pressing "Select Module" does nothing.

- When does the error occur in the program?

When I press "Restore Defaults" in the module manager, or try to "check" a listed module. When I first open module manager, none of the 4 listed modules are selected.

- Could you post the paths the program is listing as the valid module paths?

When I try to edit the PF-SRD-Basic-Rules.mod it lists: C:\Users\Martin\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\modules\PF-SRD-Basic-Rules.mod

I can't edit this, it's greyed out.

- Has Fantasy Grounds 2 been installed in the default directory?

Yes - but in 64bit this is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds II

- Have either of you tampered with the Fantasy Grounds 2 modules?

Not me... :)

Jonny Tenebrous
September 18th, 2011, 22:54
Very useful utility - thanks! Just trying it out for the first time tonight in preparation for a Pathfinder one-shot in about a week. In the first minute of using it, I've run into one little bug though so I might as well mention it.

Used in conjunction with a character exported for Fantasy Grounds from the latest version of Hero Lab (3.8a), I've noticed that it did not add my PC's size modifier to the Armor Class (Goblin PC, +1 to AC for small size). Otherwise, so far so good. Will report further issues if I experience any.

Edit: Here's another one. Same character (Goblin Fighter, exported from Hero Lab 3.8a). Imported weapons were correct except that the Shortbow was imported as a melee weapon instead of ranged, which obviously impacts Attack Bonus. I would simply click the little M/R icon in Fantasy Grounds (2.8.1 Release) next to the weapon, but it refused to toggle.

Edit2: And another. With each character that I import from Hero Lab, their armor is imported twice, which messes with encumbrance (easy enough to remove manually, though). I'm sure this is because, in Hero Lab, you add the armor twice... once on the Armor tab (to calculate AC) and once on the Gear tab (for inventory and encumbrance purposes).
Cheers ~ Jonny

Moon Wizard
September 19th, 2011, 21:34
Another update.

Select module button not opening dialog. Fixed.
Removing the last module entry causes crash. Fixed.
Added the Pathfinder spells module as a default entry.
Improved error messages for user readability.

JPG

Trenloe
September 19th, 2011, 21:46
Another update.

Select module button not opening dialog. Fixed.
Removing the last module entry causes crash. Fixed.
Added the Pathfinder spells module as a default entry.
Improved error messages for user readability.

JPG

Nice update - I no longer have the "file not found" error when selecting modules. :)

One minor thing - the new HeroLab FG export is saved by HeroLab as .hlfg (not .xml). The default for the character importer is to look just for .xml files, so it doesn't find the HeroLab exports by default. You can put * in the filename field to see all files, but it would be cool to have it view the exported .hlfg files by default.

Talen
September 24th, 2011, 23:45
I've been slow to try the converter out of a fear it would mirror my experience with the parser ( great tool but beyond my tech ability). My bad. The converter is amazing....thank you!

Question....is it anticipated that it will work similarly with the monster builder at some point?

Moon Wizard
September 24th, 2011, 23:57
The character converter utility was part of Cody's intern projects for the summer, however, he is returning to school.

So, that means that enhancements to the character converter, such as monster import, will have to wait for a bit. It is definitely on the wish list though.

Regards,
JPG

Aristotle
September 26th, 2011, 08:49
I look forward to monster importing, and other snazzy features, for this incredibly valuable tool. This sort of integration of products is the next level of VTT gaming.

Thanks to Cody for all of the work that was put into this.

tpkurilla
October 14th, 2011, 04:40
Greetings!

I used the importer several weeks back, and had great success.

My party has leveled, and so I headed straight to the importer to get their new stats. Unfortunately, I get a variation of "bad index" errors for all but one of the party!

I've pasted the output text from the latest importer below.

Is there anything that I can do about this? It worked perfectly fine one level ago. Now it fails most of the time.

I ran this with v2.8.1.B, then downloaded the latest, v2.8.1.I. The error messages are more succinct with the latest version, but are still essentially the same.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Thomas

============== output text ==============
Conversion Start
Version: 2.8.1.I
.Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Thomas\My Documents\ddi\Online Game\Kenai08.dnd4e
The Questers.Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Thomas\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II\campaigns\The Questers\db.xml
Replace existing character: false
Using module manager: true
.Module: 3.5E-basicrules.mod
.Module: 3.5E-magicitems.mod
.Module: 3.5E-spells.mod
.Module: PF-SRD-Basic-Rules.mod
.Module: PF-SRD-Spells.mod
Using local xslt: false
Add class features as powers: false
Add feats as powers: false
Add item properties as powers: false
Could not convert Kenai8: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
Conversion Start
.Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Thomas\My Documents\ddi\Online Game\Kudoles08.dnd4e
The Questers.Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Thomas\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II\campaigns\The Questers\db.xml
Could not convert Kudoles8: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
Conversion Start
.Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Thomas\My Documents\ddi\Online Game\Tordek08.dnd4e
Could not convert Tordek8: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
Conversion Start
.Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Thomas\My Documents\ddi\Online Game\zook08.dnd4e
Could not convert Zook8: Index was outside the bounds of the array.

Trenloe
October 15th, 2011, 23:56
Greetings!

I used the importer several weeks back, and had great success.

My party has leveled, and so I headed straight to the importer to get their new stats. Unfortunately, I get a variation of "bad index" errors for all but one of the party!

I've pasted the output text from the latest importer below.

Is there anything that I can do about this? It worked perfectly fine one level ago. Now it fails most of the time.

I ran this with v2.8.1.B, then downloaded the latest, v2.8.1.I. The error messages are more succinct with the latest version, but are still essentially the same.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Thomas

Don't know if this will make a difference, but try it without the module manager. The modules that are listed are for 3.5E/PFRPG not 4th Ed.

Moon Wizard
October 16th, 2011, 04:32
If you can send me one of the characters to support at smiteworks dot com, I can look into it more closely as well.

Thanks,
JPG

Dershem
October 18th, 2011, 02:18
I've been trying this for 4e as well and keep getting the following

Conversion Start
.Path: C:\Users\Test PC\Desktop\Craghammer.dnd4e
Import to Local Character List: true
.Path: C:\Users\Test PC\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\characters\4E.xml
Using module manager: false
Could not convert Reece Flashfire: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
Conversion Start
Using local xslt: true
Add class features as powers: true
Add feats as powers: true
Add item properties as powers: true
Conversion Start
Using local xslt: true
Conversion Start
Conversion Start
Conversion Start

Moon Wizard
October 18th, 2011, 19:13
Just updated the character converter again. I plan to release officially with 2.8.2, so please run it through some more paces.

In addition to bug fixed, I changed around some of the code to better support additional game systems in the future.

*Old Link Removed*

Character Converter v2.8.1J

Look for HL files as *.hlfg, instead of *.xml
[HL (3.5E/PF)] Immunities, Resistances and Weaknesses imported into Special Abilities list.
[HL (3.5E)] Skill rank data not available, all modifiers placed in misc skill modifier.
[HL (PF)] Misc skill modifiers not being imported. Fixed.
[HL (PF)] Subskill names not imported correctly. Fixed.
[HL (3.5E/PF)] AC size modifier not being imported. Fixed.
[HL (3.5E/PF)] Extra armor items in inventory. Fixed.
[HL (3.5E/PF)] Weapon melee/ranged type not editable after import. Fixed.

NOTE: Dodge AC modifiers will be missing from 3.5E/PF imports until v2.8.2 of FG is released with the addition of dodge modifier on the character sheet.

Cheers,
JPG

Moon Wizard
October 18th, 2011, 19:15
If you receive any errors, please send me a copy of the character file you are trying to import as well as the character generator and game system you are using.

You can post here, or send to support at smiteworks dot com.

Thanks,
JPG

Dershem
October 19th, 2011, 00:21
Just tried it again, File attached in zip.. error message below... maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Conversion Start
Version: 2.8.1.J
Game System: 4E
Ruleset: 4E
Source Format: D&D Insider (.dnd4e)
.Path: C:\Users\Test PC\Desktop\test s.dnd4e
Could not convert Eugnot Laoc: Index was outside the bounds of the array.

Moon Wizard
October 19th, 2011, 09:44
Thanks for the file. I was able to reproduce the issue. It was tied to item powers that changed format. The next revision will update the code to handle the current format and fail gracefully if the format changes again.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
October 19th, 2011, 09:53
Another update.

*Old Link Removed*

Character Converter v2.8.1K

Added ability to import into local character database which has not been created yet.
[3.5E/PF] Better formatting of description fields imported from modules.
XML output was not working. Fixed.
[PF] Pathfinder module lookup was not working. Fixed.
[4E] Certain item powers were causing the conversion to fail. Fixed.

NOTE: [3.5E/PF] Dodge AC modifiers and spell reference links will be missing from 3.5E/PF imports until v2.8.2 of FG is released with some changes to the character sheet.

Cheers,
JPG

Dershem
October 20th, 2011, 17:19
That did it, Thanks!

Illrigger
October 23rd, 2011, 00:44
First time using the util; imported a toon from HeroLab, and it far exceeded my expectations. VERY nice job on this, guys!

Talen
October 28th, 2011, 10:52
Im off to work and afraid to test without backing up...does anyone know offhand if you can import a PF chracter from one FG campaign into another? It seems like it should work, Im just not certain where to point the importer...to the campaign.xml file?

Trenloe
October 28th, 2011, 20:40
[QUOTE=Talen]Im off to work and afraid to test without backing up...does anyone know offhand if you can import a PF chracter from one FG campaign into another? It seems like it should work, Im just not certain where to point the importer...to the campaign.xml file?[/QUOTE

You could use it I suppose, never tried it that way though.

Easiest way would be to use the /exportchar slash command in FG to export from one campaign and then /importchar in the campaign you want to import the character to.

Trenloe
November 3rd, 2011, 06:50
My players and I have been using the character importer with great success.

The issue now is how much use we get out of it in campaign play. My players all track equipment, items used, charges, etc in their character sheets in Fantasy Grounds. They would like to use Hero Lab when they level up to work everything out and then import the character back into FG. But, this would overwrite all of their carefully maintained equipment lists in FG.

Would it be possible to add an option in the importer to not import equipment / overwrite current equipment lists already within FG? My players are happy entering any additional things they may have added in Hero Labs manually in FG.

Moon Wizard
November 11th, 2011, 20:18
That's a great idea. I'll add it to my feature request list.

One of the primary concerns that I have is how to maintain characters between character generator and tabletop, without having to build both pieces of software yourself.

I think that the option you propose fits very nicely. Allowing all the primary character pieces to be managed by character generator, while allowing inventory to be managed by FG.

The only issue I can think of off the top of my head is that the option will require the FG item list to be scanned for powers to add to power list automatically. (at least for 4E ruleset)

Regards,
JPG

Mortani
November 14th, 2011, 21:13
Not sure if this has been reported, but there appears to be an issue with 4E and "Replace existing character". You recieve "Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Conversion Start
Version: 2.8.1.K
Game System: 4E
Ruleset: 4E
Source Format: D&D Insider (.dnd4e)
.Path: C:\Users\micpre\Downloads\Kage.dnd4e
.Path: C:\Users\micpre\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\characters\4E.xml
Kage successfully converted.
Could not import Kage to local character list. Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

crawford
November 23rd, 2011, 20:56
I also had an issue with the Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object, but for 3.5ed.

I went to the module manager and checked the appropriate modules to use and everything went smoothly after that.

Callum
December 15th, 2011, 12:38

Updates
[LIST]

Is it possible to convert FG2 characters to PCGen format using this utility? If so, how?

Thanks!

kdietri
December 30th, 2011, 16:49
sorry wrong thread.

Trenloe
December 30th, 2011, 23:12
Is it possible to convert FG2 characters to PCGen format using this utility? If so, how?

Thanks!
I don't think so, I'm afraid. It's a one-way import tool into Fantasy Grounds, not the other way.

Arpat
February 26th, 2012, 23:16
i'm using the tool to import characters (to be NPC) from herolab into fantasyground. I've started to exercise myself in creating an adventure. So this makes it more easy to create a whole bunch of characters to toy around with :)

Trenloe
February 27th, 2012, 16:49
i'm using the tool to import characters (to be NPC) from herolab into fantasyground. I've started to exercise myself in creating an adventure. So this makes it more easy to create a whole bunch of characters to toy around with :)
If you're using the Pathfinder ruleset and want to import NPCs from Hero Lab directly into NPC entries in Fantasy Grounds have a look at the Creature Parser here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15475). Ignore the "alpha" status in the title (I can't change that) it's been running pretty well for a while. Post #9 mentions which minor changes to be made to the text statblock export from Hero Lab.

NJCommanderX
March 7th, 2012, 05:41
Hi!

I ran into an error the other day while trying to complete a convert/campaign load for a 1st level Pathfinder hafling Monk character.

Here is the output:
Conversion Start
Game System: PFRPG
Ruleset: 3.5E
Source Format: Hero Lab (.hlfg)
.Path: C:\Users\Pete\Documents\Hero Lab\portfolios\Shiafu.hlfg
Pathfinder Main Campaign.Path: C:\Users\Pete\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\campaigns\Pathfinder Main Campaign\db.xml
Could not convert Shifu: StartIndex cannot be less than zero.
Parameter name: startIndex

Help?

Moon Wizard
March 7th, 2012, 06:26
Can you send me the character file? ([email protected])

Thanks,
JPG

JKensai
March 13th, 2012, 05:20
Hi there – I’m wondering if you can help me with a strange error I’m receiving when running this utility to import chars into FG from Herolabs.

I’m running 2.8.1.K of FG-Char-Converter against an Unlimited license of FG2 with all of the latest patches. I create two 3.5E characters in HL with latest patches (por files attached, joe is created from scratch and kord is a stock hero from herolabs). The hlfg file for Joe loads into the stock campaign (“A Tale of Dinor”) with no problem but kord doesn’t load. The utility shows this result:

Conversion Start
Game System: 3.5E
.Path: C:\Users\Public\Documents\_install\fg\Kord.hlfg
A Tale of Dinor.Path: C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\campaigns\A Tale of Dinor\db.xml
Could not convert Kord: StartIndex cannot be less than zero.

Any help on sorting out what might be happening here is appreciated. Happy to debug as needed (I’m a skilled dev and learning Lua as we speak). Interestingly, other characters created from scratch, eg. for pathfinder, also fail to load with the same startindex error. I can provide these files too but I thought we could get sorted out on this conversion problem first (in case it’s helpful, the attached shifu por and hlfg file is one example of a pathfinder char that also won’t load with the same error).

All the files I mentioned are zipped into one attachment for your convenience.

thanks for your help!

NJCommanderX
March 13th, 2012, 06:10
Thanks JKensai, at least I know it isn't just me.

Any updates JPG? I know you guys are busy with the NEW version of FG, so can appreciate if you haven't been able to swat this bug yet.

Thanks!:D

JKensai
March 14th, 2012, 06:11
So, I found mysefl with some debugging time and discovered something interesting. The very same char that I couldn't load with into FG Char Converter did load with PFRPG Creature Parser V1.0.0.15 and could be opened into the campaign and seemed to work ok although I noticed the attack block was munged up:

<atk tk type="string"> ("")Kama +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) and Kama +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) and Nunchaku +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) and Nunchaku +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) and Quarterstaff +0 (1d4-1/20/x2) and Temple Sword +0 (1d6-1/19-20/x2) and Unarmed Strike +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) or Shuriken +4 ranged (1-1/20/x2)</atk>

... with the effect being that the entity had only two attack types. One big crazy one
Kama +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) and Kama +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) and Nunchaku +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) and Nunchaku +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) and Quarterstaff +0 (1d4-1/20/x2) and Temple Sword +0 (1d6-1/19-20/x2)

and

Shuriken +4 ranged (1-1/20/x2)

I don't know enough about what the FG2 schema is supposed to be for this but I tried changing all the "and" to "or" in the db.xml for the mod in case FG parsed this but that didn't seem to change anything. I guess I might need to reload the creature or something; I will play around with that.

Anyway, the important point here is that it seems that there's at least a path into FG2 for these non loading pathfinder chars but I still would like to get this char in as a PC somehow if possible using the converter.

thanks for any help

Trenloe
March 14th, 2012, 15:05
The very same char that I couldn't load with into FG Char Converter did load with PFRPG Creature Parser V1.0.0.15 and could be opened into the campaign and seemed to work ok although I noticed the attack block was munged up:

<atk tk type="string"> ("")Kama +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) and Kama +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) and Nunchaku +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) and Nunchaku +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) and Quarterstaff +0 (1d4-1/20/x2) and Temple Sword +0 (1d6-1/19-20/x2) and Unarmed Strike +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) or Shuriken +4 ranged (1-1/20/x2)</atk>
Have a look at the text stat block exported from HeroLab - it sounds like HeroLab is adding multiple melee attack lines into the statblock.

Anyway, the important point here is that it seems that there's at least a path into FG2 for these non loading pathfinder chars but I still would like to get this char in as a PC somehow if possible using the converter.
The Fantasy Grounds DB entries for PCs and NPCs are quite different, so I'm not surprised that exporting the PC as an NPC text statblock and then importing as an NPC works when there are issues with the Fantasy Grounds xml output and using the Character Importer. Of course, this doesn't help you get your PC into FG. :(

JKensai
March 15th, 2012, 05:45
Have a look at the text stat block exported from HeroLab - it sounds like HeroLab is adding multiple melee attack lines into the statblock.

The Fantasy Grounds DB entries for PCs and NPCs are quite different, so I'm not surprised that exporting the PC as an NPC text statblock and then importing as an NPC works when there are issues with the Fantasy Grounds xml output and using the Character Importer. Of course, this doesn't help you get your PC into FG. :(

thanks Trenloe. that does appear to be the case... here's what the section looks like from herolabs statblock

Melee Kama +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) and
Kama +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) and
Nunchaku +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) and
Nunchaku +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) and
Quarterstaff +0 (1d4-1/20/x2) and
Temple Sword +0 (1d6-1/19-20/x2) and
Unarmed Strike +4 (1d4-1/20/x2)
Ranged Shuriken +4 (1-1/20/x2)
Special Attacks Flurry of Blows -1/-1

which ends up as

<atk type="string"> (https://<<font color=)Kama +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) and Kama +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) and Nunchaku +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) and Nunchaku +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) and Quarterstaff +0 (1d4-1/20/x2) and Temple Sword +0 (1d6-1/19-20/x2) and Unarmed Strike +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) or Shuriken +4 ranged (1-1/20/x2)</atk><fullatk type="string"> (https://<<font color=)Kama +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) and Kama +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) and Nunchaku +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) and Nunchaku +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) and Quarterstaff +0 (1d4-1/20/x2) and Temple Sword +0 (1d6-1/19-20/x2) and Unarmed Strike +4 (1d4-1/20/x2) or Shuriken +4 ranged (1-1/20/x2)</fullatk><spacereach type="string"> (https://<<font color=)5ft./5ft.</spacereach><specialattacks type="string"> (https://<<font color=)Flurry of Blows -1/-1</specialattacks>

when PFRPG Creature Parser V1.0.0.15 is through with it. I guess these should all be one line each?? Like this:
<atk type="string">Kama +4 (1d4-1/20/x2)</atk>
<atk type="string">Nunchaku +4 (1d4-1/20/x2)</atk>
etc.

...or something like that? I may play around with changing the xml but I suspect this won't do much as there's a binary file for the mod it seems that was created by the creature parser and I'm guessing this is what FG2 is reading. I'm not sure how the author of the utility is creating this file.

You mentioned that PC and NPC are quite different, is there a schema for these available somewhere? It would be fun to try and write a parser for this to import from HL to FG2.

thanks

JKensai
March 15th, 2012, 06:10
hey, I noticed a post elsewhere on the board that the mod file is really a zipfile sooo... I opened it up with 7-zip changed all the "and"s to "or"s in the attack block in the db.xml in the mod and wham it worked! :)

Now, what I really want to do is to import a PC but for that I think I'm going to have to figure out what the schema is (or find it on the site, still new to this place). If someone know please kindly point me in the right direction

thanks!

Trenloe
March 15th, 2012, 06:14
when PFRPG Creature Parser V1.0.0.15 is through with it. I guess these should all be one line each?? Like this:
<atk type="string">Kama +4 (1d4-1/20/x2)</atk>
<atk type="string">Nunchaku +4 (1d4-1/20/x2)</atk>
etc.
There are only 2 entries in the NPC sheet in FG (open any creature/NPC XML in a text editor to check) - attack and full attack. Therefore, there is only 1 <atk> entry with all available attacks in it (but each attack should be separated by "or" as this is the single attack entry and only 1 attack can be made with a standard action) and another <fullatk> that should have the melee entries combined with "and" so that a full attack action can do all attacks (e.g. 2 x claws AND bite).

I may play around with changing the xml but I suspect this won't do much as there's a binary file for the mod it seems that was created by the creature parser and I'm guessing this is what FG2 is reading. I'm not sure how the author of the utility is creating this file.
Well, I'm pretty sure I know how it's being created, as I'm the author! :)

It isn't a binary file, it is a zipped db.xml (and associated files) as all FG .mod (and .ext) files are. Change the extension from .mod to .zip and you can open it up and have a look. You can also see the resulting db.xml and definition.xml that go to make this .mod file in a directory in the same location as the text file you read into the parser.

However, to get back to your original issue/question - you need to change the statblock textfile that is exported from HeroLab to have only the attacks you are interested in. The input to the parser has to be a correct statblock - otherwise how does the parser know that the input data is wrong and that it has to make corrections? It doesn't, and can't - as it would probably break more than it tries to fix. The old addage applies here - "garbage in equals garbage out". Make changes to the statblock and make sure this is correct and then reparse with the creature parser.

You mentioned that PC and NPC are quite different, is there a schema for these available somewhere?
I don't think there's anything around that details it fully. The way I extracted it for the NPC/Creature parser was to examine a few creature records from the Pathfinder Essentials bestiary module included with the 3.5E ruleset - as mentioned above, change the .mod to .zip and you can view the db.xml with all the entries. For PC's look in the db.xml file for a campaign with some PCs present.

It would be fun to try and write a parser for this to import from HL to FG2.
Fun to write a parser to parse what exactly? We have the HL creature statblock (and statblocks from PDF scenarios etc.) to creature (NPC) parser (which I wrote) and the character importer with imports PCs from HeroLab. So, I don't think there's anything left to write a parser for?

P.S. Sorry to everyone for hijacking the character importer thread with questions about the creature importer. Although, they are slightly related (ish).

Trenloe
March 15th, 2012, 06:25
hey, I noticed a post elsewhere on the board that the mod file is really a zipfile sooo... I opened it up with 7-zip changed all the "and"s to "or"s in the attack block in the db.xml in the mod and wham it worked! :)

Now, what I really want to do is to import a PC but for that I think I'm going to have to figure out what the schema is (or find it on the site, still new to this place). If someone know please kindly point me in the right direction

thanks!
I was writing a long reply while you were posting this obviously... :)

As mentioned before - for importing creatures/NPCs from statblocks don't go down the route of editing the db.xml file after you've ran the creature importer, just make sure the statblock is right to start with - much easier, and you can save the statblock text file for later use when the creature importer is updated (like when I add NPC spell links when 2.9 is released).

For importing PCs, use the character importer utility that is what this thread is all about! :D

JKensai
March 15th, 2012, 06:40
I was writing a long reply while you were posting this obviously... :)

As mentioned before - for importing creatures/NPCs from statblocks don't go down the route of editing the db.xml file after you've ran the creature importer, just make sure the statblock is right to start with - much easier, and you can save the statblock text file for later use when the creature importer is updated (like when I add NPC spell links when 2.9 is released).

For importing PCs, use the character importer utility that is what this thread is all about! :D

Thank you again Trenloe for all the detail and info... and lol I had no idea you'd written the Creature Importer (thank you for that as well!) And btw I should have read the readme details :o

And sorry everyone for dragging this a little offtopic (sort of), my initial intent was to help debug the Character Importer which fails to load the very same char that the Creater Parser can load. I now realize that this doesn't mean much since the schemas are different.

As for writing yet another parser, I learn best by doing so I was wanting to try my hand at importing PCs into FG2 since for some reason moon_wizard's char utility doesn't work on many of the PCs I'm working with at the moment. It's my hope that in trying to build a parser, I might be able to figure out why the current char utility doesn't work (yet).

I'm also wondering if there's a way to roundtrip characters (e.g from HL to FG2 to HL and back again). In other words keep FG2 resources and their HL counterparts in sync.

And mostly I want to play in FG! :D

Trenloe
March 15th, 2012, 06:58
Hi!

I ran into an error the other day while trying to complete a convert/campaign load for a 1st level Pathfinder hafling Monk character.

Here is the output:
Conversion Start
.Path: C:\Users\Pete\Documents\Hero Lab\portfolios\Shiafu.hlfg
Pathfinder Main Campaign.Path: C:\Users\Pete\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\campaigns\Pathfinder Main Campaign\db.xml
Could not convert Shifu: StartIndex cannot be less than zero.

Help?
Check your weapons - if you have shuriken with a damage of "1-1" remove them - it is probably this that is causing your issue.

Trenloe
March 15th, 2012, 07:04
Hi there – I’m wondering if you can help me with a strange error I’m receiving when running this utility to import chars into FG from Herolabs.

I’m running 2.8.1.K of FG-Char-Converter against an Unlimited license of FG2 with all of the latest patches. I create two 3.5E characters in HL with latest patches (por files attached, joe is created from scratch and kord is a stock hero from herolabs). The hlfg file for Joe loads into the stock campaign (“A Tale of Dinor”) with no problem but kord doesn’t load. The utility shows this result:

Conversion Start
Game System: 3.5E
.Path: C:\Users\Public\Documents\_install\fg\Kord.hlfg
A Tale of Dinor.Path: C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\campaigns\A Tale of Dinor\db.xml
Could not convert Kord: StartIndex cannot be less than zero.

Any help on sorting out what might be happening here is appreciated. Happy to debug as needed (I’m a skilled dev and learning Lua as we speak). Interestingly, other characters created from scratch, eg. for pathfinder, also fail to load with the same startindex error. I can provide these files too but I thought we could get sorted out on this conversion problem first (in case it’s helpful, the attached shifu por and hlfg file is one example of a pathfinder char that also won’t load with the same error).

All the files I mentioned are zipped into one attachment for your convenience.

thanks for your help!
The entry for "Flurry of Blows" doesn't have any damage listed, I think it might be this that is causing the issue.

morkalg
March 20th, 2012, 13:00
Are there any plans to add support for Call of Cthulhu characters? Please say yes!!!

jagarbet
March 21st, 2012, 00:42
Can I import from PCGen 5.16 a character like a Fantasy grounds NPC ?

I only know to import characters from PCGen to the PC category in fantasy grounds!.

JKensai
March 21st, 2012, 06:00
OK, just to close the loop here for all the debuggingly inclined folks. I removed the Flurry of Blows entry and this did indeed allow the character to load, although the character is still a little hinky (in that no dice appear for damage in his attacks). I'm suspecting that I may have taken a little too much out of the hlfg ;-) but I will double check as I play around further.

I'm wondering also if I can export a valid char from FG2 and then use that to build up in HL and then import into FG2 (my theory here is that something fundamental is missing in the file in some way or is referring to something that FG2 doesn't understand, etc. etc.)

Trenloe
March 21st, 2012, 15:43
I'm suspecting that I may have taken a little too much out of the hlfg ;-) but I will double check as I play around further.
Just delete the flurry of blows attack in the weapon tab in HL and export your hlfg file again.

I'm wondering also if I can export a valid char from FG2 and then use that to build up in HL and then import into FG2 (my theory here is that something fundamental is missing in the file in some way or is referring to something that FG2 doesn't understand, etc. etc.)
Unfortunately, this character importer is one-way from HL to FG.

There are always little things you need to do in your character once you have imported it in FG - go through and check things like attack bonuses (especially if you have feats that modify this such as weapon focus), initiative (I've seen the improved inititative feat not being applied), AC, skills, armour penalties, etc. just to make sure anything out of the ordinary has been brought through correctly.

It's a great tool. But, due to the vast possibilities within characters especially as they increase in level, it will always need a bit of a review once in FG.

Moon Wizard
March 23rd, 2012, 19:58
OK, lots of good activity here.

* Looking into the index error for 2.9 character converter update and official release.

* No plans for round trip (HL->FG->HL). It's just too complex for the resources we have to dedicate to the importer. I am looking at adding an ignore items import option, so that items on characters are not overwritten from HL. (a feature request)

* I have all the pieces to do the importer for Savage Worlds and Call of Cthulhu from Hero Lab, but I haven't had the time to even see how much work there is. It's definitely on our wish list.

* Imports to NPC records are on the wish list. The challenge is the number of possible imports (PCG->FG NPC, HL->FG NPC, DDI->FG NPC, Monster Builder->FG NPC).

Regards,
JPG

JKensai
March 23rd, 2012, 23:56
OK, lots of good activity here.

* Looking into the index error for 2.9 character converter update and official release.

* No plans for round trip (HL->FG->HL). It's just too complex for the resources we have to dedicate to the importer. I am looking at adding an ignore items import option, so that items on characters are not overwritten from HL. (a feature request)

* I have all the pieces to do the importer for Savage Worlds and Call of Cthulhu from Hero Lab, but I haven't had the time to even see how much work there is. It's definitely on our wish list.

* Imports to NPC records are on the wish list. The challenge is the number of possible imports (PCG->FG NPC, HL->FG NPC, DDI->FG NPC, Monster Builder->FG NPC).

Regards,
JPG

Excellent!! thanks!

JohnD
April 9th, 2012, 01:52
Just went through this, I see the following;

- doesn't bring across ranks in skills
- doesn't bring across +1 to hit for MW weapons
- doesn't bring across + damage from a composite bow

Sure gives a leg up though.

Trenloe
April 9th, 2012, 01:57
Just went through this, I see the following;

- doesn't bring across ranks in skills
From Hero Lab or PC Gen? Pathfinder or 3.5E?

I've noticed the +1 for MW not coming across with Pathfinder and Hero Labs. I haven't seen an issue with the skill ranks though for this ruleset/character creator combo.

JohnD
April 10th, 2012, 17:48
Importing from HL, 3.5e.

I had to go into the magnifying glass to make the adjustments manually - that cared for it.

JohnD
April 15th, 2012, 19:50
Hoping it becomes possible to import to NPCs from HL sometime soon.

Trenloe
April 15th, 2012, 21:00
The creature parser can do this for pathfinder:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15475

Post #72 gives info on what needs to be done with the HL statblock to use with the parser.

NJCommanderX
May 4th, 2012, 02:16
I needed to follow up on the thread that I and JKensei exchanged on this board. Little did we know at the time, but JKensei was my friend and player trying to import the same character I was and having the same issue as I was... :D :rolleyes:

I was wondering why this guy was mentioning "shifu" in HIS postm, the name of the character I was importing. D'oh!

In any event, thanks to Martin and Moon_Wizard for all your support!

Trenloe
May 4th, 2012, 04:00
Yeah, 2 Shifu's certainly confused me! I wondered if you had an identity complex! ;-)

Sharpevil
August 6th, 2012, 00:20
I've been starting a new 4e campaign recently, but when I import my players' dnd4e files, their powers don't go through. And the first time I open the power page of their character sheets, I get the error "Ruleset Error: Database type mismatch for 'criticalbonus'
Ruleset Error: Database type mismatch for 'criticalbonus'"

Any ideas what's wrong?

Trenloe
August 7th, 2012, 00:20
I've been starting a new 4e campaign recently, but when I import my players' dnd4e files, their powers don't go through. And the first time I open the power page of their character sheets, I get the error "Ruleset Error: Database type mismatch for 'criticalbonus'
Ruleset Error: Database type mismatch for 'criticalbonus'"

Any ideas what's wrong?
Which version of the converter are you using? I see 2.9.0.C - which is the latest (as of FG 2.9.1) from the "utilities" directory in the FG Application data directory.

Moon Wizard
August 7th, 2012, 23:44
Make sure that you use the character converter installed with FG on your machine.

I just removed a link to an older version (2.8.1K) that was found at the top of this thread.

Thanks,
JPG

GMTroll
August 8th, 2012, 17:42
Has anyone got this working in Wine on Mac?

I've got it to load but it will not import characters to my campaign. I am trying to import Hero Lab filed for Pathfinder.

Trenloe
August 8th, 2012, 17:46
Has anyone got this working in Wine on Mac?

I've got it to load but it will not import characters to my campaign. I am trying to import Hero Lab filed for Pathfinder.
I've never tried it on Mac - but if you are having issues importing into a campaign, then try using the "XML" output option which creates Fantasy Grounds compatible XML. Then you can import this XML into your campaign as the GM - using the chat /importchar command when your campaign is running.

GMTroll
August 8th, 2012, 20:15
I have tried exporting to XML but still not converting in Wine on Mac.

This is a copy of the error thrown when I try, it is the same which ever method I select.

Any ideas?

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NotImplementedException: The method or operation is not implemented.
at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.ITextDocu ment.Range(Int32 cp1, Int32 cp2)
at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.ScrollToCaret()
at CharacterConverter.CharConverter.AppendConsole(Str ing message, Boolean newline)
at CharacterConverter.CharConverter.ConvertButton_Cli ck(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventAr gs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.O nMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.W ndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
CharacterConverter
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/users/kiron/Application%20Data/Fantasy%20Grounds%20II/utilities/CharacterConverter.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Ionic.Zip
Assembly Version: 1.9.1.8
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/users/kiron/Application%20Data/Fantasy%20Grounds%20II/utilities/CharacterConverter.exe

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Moon Wizard
August 8th, 2012, 23:42
GMTroll,

Can you provide the hero lab output file that is causing the issue?

I want to make sure it runs on Windows without errors, before we assume a Mac issue.

Thanks,
JPG

GMTroll
August 9th, 2012, 00:06
Here's the hero lab file. I had to change the extension from .hlfg to .xml to upload.

Thanks for taking a look at this JPG.

And thanks to Trenloe for the earlier suggestion.

Moon Wizard
August 13th, 2012, 03:02
OK, I confirmed that the file works fine on a Windows installation of the character converter. So, it seems like it might be Mac specific.

Given that the converter was built in C# using the .Net framework for speed of development, you may need to ensure that Mono support is in place on your Mac for .Net 2.0. Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac and am not familiar with the requirements of using or setting up Mono. Hopefully, someone on the forums who uses a Mac can chime in.

In the long run, I plan to post the Character Converter code to a public location so that the community can help in the enhancement of the utility.

Regards,
JPG

seagreen19
August 14th, 2012, 02:39
Pardon me and my ignorance, I am not tech savy and have looked through this entire thread for a link to the character importer and cannot find it. Could someone please take pity on a grizzled old gamer and direct me to the link or re-post a link to the most updated version? Thank you for your assistance.

Trenloe
August 14th, 2012, 03:40
Pardon me and my ignorance, I am not tech savy and have looked through this entire thread for a link to the character importer and cannot find it. Could someone please take pity on a grizzled old gamer and direct me to the link or re-post a link to the most updated version? Thank you for your assistance.
It is now installed with Fantasy Grounds - go to <FG application data folder>\utilities directory on your computer and run the character converter from there.

seagreen19
August 14th, 2012, 06:02
I downloaded Fantasy Grounds II about a week ago and have gotten all the updates. I still do not see the character converter in either the start menu, nor do I find any data folder or sub folder labeled utilities. I appreciate your attempt to help, but I am still at a loss as to how to locate this function.

Trenloe
August 14th, 2012, 06:15
I downloaded Fantasy Grounds II about a week ago and have gotten all the updates. I still do not see the character converter in either the start menu, nor do I find any data folder or sub folder labeled utilities. I appreciate your attempt to help, but I am still at a loss as to how to locate this function.
<FG application data folder> is accessed from the Window Start menu -> All Programs -> Fantasy Grounds II -> Application Data Folder

seagreen19
August 14th, 2012, 06:20
I have found the application folder, but there is no utility sub-directory. My computer lists:
cache, campaigns, characters, extensions, modules, portraits, rulesets,tokens, console, global registry.lua and that is it.

Trenloe
August 14th, 2012, 06:27
When you start Fantasy Grounds, on the first screen what version number does it show in the top right corner?

seagreen19
August 14th, 2012, 06:30
It shows 2.8.0

Trenloe
August 14th, 2012, 06:37
It shows 2.8.0
That's the problem - you need at least 2.9, ideally 2.9.1. The character converter was not included with the Fantasy Grounds installation until V2.9.

You will need to make sure you update your installation to the latest version.

seagreen19
August 14th, 2012, 06:40
Ah, thanks then. I have been using the update feature regularly, I thought I had the latest version. Odd. I'm sure once I get this issue solved, things will go more smoothly. I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out this program.

seagreen19
August 14th, 2012, 06:49
Now, if only my updater would work...anyone else having a problem getting a version higher than 2.8.0?

joeru
August 14th, 2012, 09:31
Now, if only my updater would work...anyone else having a problem getting a version higher than 2.8.0?

No. You might want to send an email to [email protected] with your serial number and the date you bought FG, and explain your troubles.

EDIT: Also, for those who have the latest version - the character converter will go to your administrator account's appdata folder, so if you don't log into windows as an administrator the appdata folder that's linked in the start menu won't have the utilities subfolder.

Silveras
August 14th, 2012, 14:07

There have been numerous issues with updating to 2.9.x. Most of them seem to stem from changes in Windows folder structures between Windows XP and Windows 7. Depending upon how old your OS is, you may or may not be experiencing one of these.

Several changes to the installer have been made to adjust for these. You may want to try running the web installer from this link (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FGWebInstall.exe), which will update the main installer as part of the installation. That has helped several users.

seagreen19
August 15th, 2012, 02:53
Thank you everyone for your help, including customer support which fixed my update problem regarding empty packages. One more question, when I run update...it seems there is ALWAYS an update. What is the final version? I've made it to 2.9.1 but it continues to highlight update and there is always something there.

Griogre
August 15th, 2012, 05:25
The current release version is 2.9.1. Moon Wizard stated they had a problem with the updater button they had put a fix in in for, so if you are at 2.9.1 you should be ok.

Moon Wizard
August 15th, 2012, 10:29
seagreen19,

If you are still seeing the Update button highlight after you are on v2.9.1, please turn on Debug mode in the Settings, and run the Update again. Then, you can send me the update.log file from the FG data folder, so I can take a look. Send to [email protected] along with a reminder of what is happening.

Thanks,
JPG

GMTroll
August 16th, 2012, 11:19
OK, I confirmed that the file works fine on a Windows installation of the character converter. So, it seems like it might be Mac specific.

Given that the converter was built in C# using the .Net framework for speed of development, you may need to ensure that Mono support is in place on your Mac for .Net 2.0. Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac and am not familiar with the requirements of using or setting up Mono. Hopefully, someone on the forums who uses a Mac can chime in.

In the long run, I plan to post the Character Converter code to a public location so that the community can help in the enhancement of the utility.

Regards,
JPG

JPG,

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

I have installed Mono now and the converter works when converting to XML and then import from within FGII. :)

Running in Mono I cannot insert to a campaign file. I think it is possibly due to the folder separator as it appends \campaigns but the Mac uses /. This is not to important to me as the XML conversion works.

Irumas
September 2nd, 2012, 23:47
Just on a quick notice, version 2.9.1. Using character converter on DDI character otherwise works fine,but
a) magic items aren't working properly.
b) and It doesn't take your trained skills to FG, you have to manually input trained skills.

Irumas

Bidmaron
October 21st, 2012, 17:39
I'm having a problem with the character converter and think I may have a module setup error or something. Can someone post or send me a PF exported character (xml) that you know imports successfully so I can test out my installation? Sure appreciate it

Dakadin
October 21st, 2012, 18:22
I'm having a problem with the character converter and think I may have a module setup error or something. Can someone post or send me a PF exported character (xml) that you know imports successfully so I can test out my installation? Sure appreciate it

Check the Pathfinder Society forum. People are posting their characters for GMs there all the time.

Bidmaron
October 21st, 2012, 18:24
Actually, I just tried one of the pregens from the PFS forum (Ezren), and I keep getting the following error:

Conversion Start
Version: 2.9.0.C
Source Format: Fantasy Grounds (.xml)
.Path: \\psf\Home\Downloads\Ezren - Wizard 1.XML
.Path: C:\Users\Dale\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\characters\3.5E.xml
.Module: Basic Familiars
.Module: Bestiary2
.Module: Crit Fumbles
.Module: Bestiary3
.Module: Complete Magic Items
.Module: GameMastery NPCs
.Module: Advanced Rules
.Module: Basic Rules
.Module: Bestiary
.Module: Complete Spells
.Module: Spells
.Module: Summonable Monsters
.Module: Summon Nature's Ally
.Module: Summon Nature's Ally II
Could not convert Ezren: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

My thought is to go in and start turning off module extensions in the importer and see what happens, but just wanted to see if someone else may have already figured this out.

Trenloe
October 22nd, 2012, 00:45
Ezren works fine for me.

I think it is related to all of the modules you have enabled - there's really no need to enable all of those modules as the majority of them won't even be used by the converter. Go into "Manage Modules" in the character converter and click the "Restore Defaults" button then "Save Changes" and try converting the character again.

Mctool
December 1st, 2012, 13:13
I bought the lite version (player only) Do i not get the character import feature? I can not locate it.

Griogre
December 1st, 2012, 18:24
Did you press the Start Button -> All Programs -> Fantasy Grounds II -> Application Data Folder? When the Windows Explorer pops up, look in the utilities folder for characterconverter.exe.

CrimsonCrust
December 3rd, 2012, 23:30
Where do I put it once it is converted? It was converted easily just can't find where it says how to get it into Fantasy Grounds 2 after I do the conversion.

Trenloe
December 3rd, 2012, 23:40
Where do I put it once it is converted?
Depends how you're doing the conversion - that is, what your "output" is. There are 3 options:

XML - you are asked to select a location and filename to store the XML output. This is then used by the GM to "import" into their own campaign.
Local Import - this places the character in the local character cache, which is accessed via the "Manage Characters" button in the FG start screen. EDIT: Or, the character will be available to select when you connect to a campaign as a player. They are in the "Characters" selection window, but you need to press the up arrow "Import character(s)" icon at the bottom of the window to see the "Import Local Characters" screen that shows the characters in the local cache. Selecting a PC here will send the PC to the GMs campaign and any changes made in game will be with the campaign version of the character.
Campaign Import - select a campaign on the local computer to import the character directly into. Then, start that campaign and the PC will be in the character pool.

CrimsonCrust
December 3rd, 2012, 23:51
Thanks. That helped out. I could not find it in the thread. I am sure it was somewhere obvious though. Thanks.

mattcolville
December 27th, 2012, 18:34
The character importer seems incredibly useful. I just tried it out, appeared to work great! :D

My question is: how does the presence or absence of modules affect the importer?

Specifically, I created a 4E campaign, no modules activated, imported a character and it appeared to work as designed. I can see the characters powers, they appear to work. There's a few little bits of weirdness which I can easily correct, like the powers don't have weapons assigned (and, weirdly, there is no Weapon #1 on the Combat tab, it starts with #2, but whatever).

So I see this thing working, no modules activated, and I wonder if this means my players can import their characters without needing me to push out to them all the relevant Player Data modules.

Now, I have tons of modules in the modules *folder*, is the importer using these? That's fine, super cool, just want to know. I certainly don't mind importing my player's heroes for them, it's easy.

I notice there's a checkbox for "Use modules from the module manager to lookup" but I think this refers to the "Managing Modules" function in the importer? Which has nothing selected currently.

Which makes me wonder...should I be adding my modules to the module manager? The character appeared to import successfully, what would happen if I added my player data modules?

This is something I could find out by trial and error, but while I'm here, if I as GM import a PC, then set owner to None, will a player who logs in be able to take ownership over him and have his powers and everything work without installing PC data modules?

GMTroll
December 27th, 2012, 19:24
This is something I could find out by trial and error, but while I'm here, if I as GM import a PC, then set owner to None, will a player who logs in be able to take ownership over him and have his powers and everything work without installing PC data modules?

This is exactly what I have done for my 4E campaigns and the players do not need any modules to use the imported characters even if the character sheets have links (the little red dragon icon) to modules. If the imported characters sheets do have links to modules those will not work unless the characters have the modules and they are activated. All of my imported PC's have links to modules (powers, feats etc) for easy reference for myself and although the players do not have the modules they are still able to control the character and use the character sheets just fine.

Not sure how the rest of it works though as I have only been able to get the XML option working on the Mac using mono. If anyone else has got the Local and Campaign Import working on Mac I would be interested to hear how you achieved it.

Acroyear
January 15th, 2013, 07:53
Is there any timeframe for the Hero Lab 4E Import support?

Vishera
June 22nd, 2013, 09:04
any word if this will work with wine?

Moon Wizard
June 23rd, 2013, 06:58
I haven't personally set it up with Wine; but it does use the .Net 2.0 framework, so it will require Mono to be set up.

JPG

Nylanfs
July 30th, 2013, 22:23
I have it setup with Wine on my Ubuntu laptop. Works fine, although the laptop itself is slow :)

xKrisx
September 29th, 2013, 07:31
Am I blind, where do I download the character converter for hero lab? This is the utility - character importer for Hero Lab to FGs thread correct? Why is it not in a LINK at the top of the thread?

Moon Wizard
September 29th, 2013, 14:46
The Character Converter utility is downloaded automatically when you update FG, and placed in the FG data folder under the Utilities subfolder. Also, when FG is installed, it creates a link in the Fantasy Grounds start menu group with a link to the application.

Regards,
JPG

xKrisx
September 29th, 2013, 21:59
Ok thanks I found it and managed to upload a couple Pathfinder characters. Question tho, my gear sometimes doubles in the character sheet in Fantasy grounds. I have to delete say my 2nd set of chain mail and light shield. Is there a fix for that? Spells as well. They don't double but I don't see them in the actions tab with my weapons with the import. I had to manually put them in the spell book in FG.

Moon Wizard
September 30th, 2013, 06:42
I haven't looked at the importer in quite a bit.

The data input is driven by the Hero Lab export, so the equipment might be listed in 2 different locations causing the doubling. I'll have to add to list to look at after v3 launch, since I'm deep into community testing with that one.

For the spells, it will only import memorized spells for memorization casters (wizard, cleric). Otherwise, the character sheet would be overwhelmed with the entire library of wizard/cleric spells.

Regards,
JPG

penlin
November 2nd, 2013, 17:43
I cannot find the Character converter to save my life. It is not in the FG Start menu group. It is not in the Application Data folder (I have no Utilities sub-folder). I do not see a character converter application in the Programs folder, where I do see the executables for FG and its updater. I have run the updater. I have uninstalled and done a fresh reinstallation. Still no luck. Any ideas why I don't have the character converter? It would be so handy!

Griogre
November 2nd, 2013, 19:18
What version of FG are you using? And what type of license?

Zeus
November 3rd, 2013, 08:53
Check out the FG app data folder, they should be installed in a folder called utilities.

penlin
November 3rd, 2013, 12:14
My FG says it's v2.9.4 Ultimate. I'm a little surprised it says ultimate. I bought FG way back when it was v1.
@Zeus: per my original comment, I do not have a Utilities subfolder under the App folder.

Trenloe
November 3rd, 2013, 15:32
My FG says it's v2.9.4 Ultimate. I'm a little surprised it says ultimate. I bought FG way back when it was v1.
That's because all full licenses are auto upgraded to ultimate for the duration of FG Con 3. It'll go back to full sometime over the next few days. This will have nothing to do with your issue.

Open up FG and select the "settings" button. Check where the data folder is pointing to and look for the utilities folder in there - I know you've told us you've looked in the app folder, but I'm just wondering if it's changed with you uninstalling and reinstalling.

Gypsy King
November 14th, 2013, 04:48
I am running Windows 8.1 on. Surface Pro. I am looking in c:/programs (86)/Fantasy Grounds 2 and find no sub folders or links labeled Character Importer I then go to c:/users/username/AppData/fantasy grounds 2 and find a number of folders but nothing for utilities or character conversion?

JohnD
November 14th, 2013, 12:27
What version of FG?

Gypsy King
November 14th, 2013, 17:15

Trenloe
November 14th, 2013, 17:31
I am running Windows 8.1 on. Surface Pro. I am looking in c:/programs (86)/Fantasy Grounds 2 and find no sub folders or links labeled Character Importer I then go to c:/users/username/AppData/fantasy grounds 2 and find a number of folders but nothing for utilities or character conversion?
Try going to the "Settings" window (from the main first screen of FG), enter your FG website "User Name" and press the "Update" button and enter your FG website password and press the "Login" button. Then press OK on the settings screen to take you to the updater window, press Update.

Once the update is complete, press the Windows key and type %appdata% and press return. This will take you to your user AppData directory in Windows 8. Open the "Fantasy Grounds II" folder and see if the "utilities" directory has now been created.

Auriakus
December 29th, 2013, 04:16
I was able to use the converter for Herp Lab portfolios before. Now I cannot. I am running latest BG2 and HL files. The issue is that I am unable to see my campaigns listed in the converter campaign listbox, regarless of what I select (I have tried everything). When I drop the "A Tale of Dinor - 4E" campaign folder in the BG2 campaign directory, I am able to see that in the converter campaign list however. See SS:

Auriakus
December 29th, 2013, 05:52
I was able to use the converter for Herp Lab portfolios before. Now I cannot. I am running latest BG2 and HL files. The issue is that I am unable to see my campaigns listed in the converter campaign listbox, regarless of what I select (I have tried everything). When I drop the "A Tale of Dinor - 4E" campaign folder in the BG2 campaign directory, I am able to see that in the converter campaign list however. See SS:

I have successfully completed a local import for the 3.5 ruleset as well (rather than directly into a campaign). So now I am wondering if this is related to HL ruleset changes, or the latest update for FG2- anyone else finding their conversions not working for PFRPG now?

Auriakus
December 29th, 2013, 06:18
For the time being I created a workaround by modifying the campaign.xml <ruleset> node in the module I want to import too from "PFRPG" to "3.5E"

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root version="3.0">
<ruleset>3.5E</ruleset>
<username>Auriakus</username>
</root>

Some things got jacked, like encumberance thresholds, but I can make this work. Thanks for making me think. I'm getting too old for this ****....

Trenloe
December 29th, 2013, 07:31
For the time being I created a workaround by modifying the campaign.xml <ruleset> node in the module I want to import too from "PFRPG" to "3.5E"
With FG 3.0 separating the 3.5e and PFRPG into 2 different rulesets the character converter will only recognize PFRPG campaigns in the new FG 3.0 format. You need to open the old 3.5e PF campaign first so that Fantasy Grounds will convert it to the PFRPG ruleset - you get a message the first time you open the campaign letting you know that it has been converted to PFRPG. Once this has been done the campaign should appear for PFRPG in the character converter.

Braste
December 29th, 2013, 14:51
I have 2 problems.

First: I choose PFRPG and Hero Lab as input, but the character gets imported in 3.5E:

Conversion Start
Version: 2.9.3.A
.Path: W:\Dokumente\Stefan Braun\Eigene Dokumente\Hero Lab\portfolios\Milyan.hlfg
.Path: C:\Users\Stefan Braun\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\characters\3.5E.xml

Second: The memorized cleric spells doesn't get imported, the prepared spell list in character manager is empty. It works for my wizard, so i don't think, that's a problem of the character manager.

Trenloe
December 29th, 2013, 14:59
I have 2 problems.

First: I choose PFRPG and Hero Lab as input, but the character gets imported in 3.5E
This is fixed in 3.0.1.

Braste
December 29th, 2013, 15:18
This is fixed in 3.0.1.

3.0.1 isn't released yet, is it? And can somebody reproduce my issue with cleric spells or can tell me, what i do wrong?

Trenloe
December 29th, 2013, 16:28
3.0.1 isn't released yet, is it?
It's available in the "test" slot of the settings screen.

Braste
December 29th, 2013, 20:40
It's available in the "test" slot of the settings screen.

Thx

Glympy
December 31st, 2013, 04:36
Im using versikon 3.0.1.A Character Converter and when i click on the " Select File Buttone " the application flashes and doesn not open up a box for me to search for the location of the file? Any ideas?

Trenloe
December 31st, 2013, 09:18
Im using versikon 3.0.1.A Character Converter and when i click on the " Select File Buttone " the application flashes and doesn not open up a box for me to search for the location of the file? Any ideas?
Are you running on Windows?

Try right clicking on the CharacterConveter app before you start it and selecting "Run As Administrator".

Glympy
December 31st, 2013, 15:56
Awesome that worked

Thanks

Shimrath
August 5th, 2014, 21:46
Just wanted to pop in and say thank you to all that worked on this tool! Awesome stuff!

Nylanfs
October 10th, 2014, 04:10
Just wondered if anyone had tried this with PCGen's latest version? We're switching to Freemarker and I want to make sure we haven't broken anything for your sheet.

Nylanfs
December 8th, 2014, 17:08
Does the separate Character Importer do anything more than importing the pcgen xml file when creating the character's, that is not available inside the character list inside FG?

May 17th, 2015, 16:30
?
Where can i find the character importer. I am a monthly suscriber and did not purchase the FG software out right

Trenloe
May 17th, 2015, 16:45
Where can i find the character importer. I am a monthly suscriber and did not purchase the FG software out right
Open your FG App data directory (press the folder icon in the top right of the main FG launch screen) and go to the "utilities" directory.

Then see the "Using the Fantasy Grounds Character Converter" section here: https://www.fg-con.com/information/pathfinder-society-organized-play/preparing-your-pc-for-fantasy-grounds/ for some guidelines.

Mjolnir
October 5th, 2016, 04:14
Is there a version available for 5e?

Moon Wizard
October 5th, 2016, 06:45
Not yet. It's been a slow work in progress due to priorities between work on v3.2.0, Unity version and Wizards releases. It's on my list to work on.

Regards,
JPG

LordEntrails
October 5th, 2016, 17:38
Not yet. It's been a slow work in progress due to priorities between work on v3.2.0, Unity version and Wizards releases. It's on my list to work on.

Regards,
JPG
I've said it before, we need to clone you.

PhilFischer
October 19th, 2016, 12:44
I second the idea to clone, especially due to importing 5e Hero Lab characters.
Just purchased the 5E HL and it looks great.

patrakis
October 23rd, 2016, 03:00
I third the idea :)

Erin Righ
October 27th, 2016, 04:56
OK OK, Moon Wizard, teleport yourself up here to Canada, so I can get a blood sample for my advanced clone spell, this is gonna be AWESOME!!!!!BWAHAHAHA

ChrisRevocateur
April 20th, 2021, 18:54
I noticed that there's a "module management" menu option, and when I open it it gives me a window that allows me to add modules and check a box for said module if it's skills, equipment, etc, and I was wondering if it would make the importing more useful (in that it would include stuff outside of the base SRD material) to use the community modules. I figure that even though I own all the PFRPG1E rulebooks in FG, since those are encrypted in the vault that I can't use those for it.

Is this correct?

Moon Wizard
April 20th, 2021, 20:39
To be honest, I don't remember. The tool is no longer supported; and was written by an intern about 8-9 years ago. At the time, we did not have all the official material nor protected publisher vault material; so the tool will not be able to use any of those.

The tool is no longer supported (but still available if you want to monkey with it).

Regards,
JPG