PDA

View Full Version : Multiple installs

madman
July 17th, 2011, 20:25
Is there any way to install FG2 twice on the same computer if you have two licenses.

I would like to have version 2.8 in one and 2.7.6 in the other.

Help...........

Chris

RKBrumbelow
July 17th, 2011, 20:48
I assume that simply switching back and forth using the updater is not sufficient? It does take a few minutes I know.

Another option would be to install wine. Yes, I know it sounds strange to install wine on a windows machine, but it can be done (with a lot of work) (https://wiki.winehq.org/WineOnWindows) You might also consider running an actual emulator, or (and I have not tried this) you could run one in XP mode if you have windows 7 and try installing it a 2nd time not in XP mode.

I know you can run an unlicensed copy and a licensed copy at the same time on a single computer.

So to be completely redundant: All of this though does seem to be a bit extreme when the test mode manager application will switch back and forth (first paragraph), at least until 2.8 becomes the base install.

Zeus
July 17th, 2011, 23:02
If your happy to run either one in a mutually exclusive manner (i.e. one at a time) it might be doable on standard Windows if you:

i) install the two instances of FGII to different locations on your hard drive
ii) create two scripts to switch the license key and program and app data paths in the registry and start the instance of FGII you require.

You could then switch between versions of FGII by executing your script.

If on the other hand you want to run both in parallel. You will have to look at virtualisation like VMWare, VirtualBox etc. etc.

madman
July 18th, 2011, 06:18
I ask cause i want to run my current game with 2.7.
and a new game with 2.8

Thank You
Chris

RKBrumbelow
July 18th, 2011, 06:23
I ask cause i want to run my current game with 2.7.
and a new game with 2.8

Thank You
Chris
If you are only going to be switching that infrequently, then the test mode manager (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/TestModeManager.exe) is all you need. It will only take about 5 minutes to switch between 2.7.x and 2.8.0. Also, this means you will only need one license.