PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying Fantasy Grounds.

jh127876
July 15th, 2011, 23:51
Hello Everybody, I was just thinking about buying Fantasy Grounds and was wondering if it supports voice chat, or if players commonly use skype or something. I also wanted to know if its easy to get in a game with people, and if you can jump in with ease and not have to wait to play.

Leonal
July 16th, 2011, 00:41
Hi,
There is no built in voice client. People generally use what they prefer, be it Skype/Vent/Teamspeak etc.

Getting in a game depends on what times you're available (make sure include your timezone if you try to sign up to a posted game) and which gamesystem you want to play in I suppose. I have never tried to join one posted here myself though, so I can only guess.
It's more a matter of finding a group to play with rather than waiting for a game to start (though that may also be the case if the GM hasn't prepared the story/game yet, and is looking for potential players) I think.

There are sometimes one shots where you should be able to join quicker. I'd recommend you to look around the Guild House and check out the games posted there to see if any catch your interest.

jh127876
July 16th, 2011, 03:19
where do you find groups for your games, do you use another site or something to find players/gms?

Leonal
July 16th, 2011, 03:32
Me personally? I play with friends I already knew and played with offline before everyone moved all over the globe.

As for this site there's the Guild House, the Game Calendar or the IRC channel.

damned
July 16th, 2011, 08:45
the vast majority of fg being played seems to be amongst people who are playing with their own established group in ongoing games/campaigns. it might take you a while to get your first taste and it might take you several tastes to find the right game/group for you.

it is not a MMORPG with people starting all the time and joinging in wherever. games are between typically small groups of between 3 and 10 who agree to meet/play at a regular time every week/fortnight/etc.

there are several very generous gms out there who might give you a one shot/session game but you shoudl advertise your preferences for time, day, timezone, genre, frequency as well as keep trawling here every few days to see what is happening. also check out the chat channel - particularly around the time windows that you want to play.

dont get disheartened if you dont find what you are looking for straight away.

also - every game being run is being put on by someone who has invested time and effort in preparation and has committed themselves to being available at certain days/times - so respect them by turning up to any agreed games.

Sigurd
July 17th, 2011, 03:41
Fantasy Grounds enables pen and paper role playing. This is a lot of work for the DM and typically has more preparation and loyalty than massive online play.

Most DM's are really generous with their time to gracious people. I don't think its hard to find a game if you start from that premise.

When you find a group you like in a time zone and playing time that suits you, you tend to stick with them.

S

Of course if you also take your turn DMing you get a stronger group by spreading the workload around.

RKBrumbelow
July 17th, 2011, 17:34
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item#faq_voip

Nestor
July 18th, 2011, 02:12
finding a game is not terribly difficult

you do need to be a little aggressive about it

send pms to dms on the site, check the boards for new campaign listings that sort of thing

CAPryde
July 18th, 2011, 14:38
I run a Monday afternoon Deadlands game, and I'm always open to adding people. Search for "Deadlands" and my name ("CAPRyde") on the Game Calendar.