PDA

View Full Version : New comer

Gorna
July 15th, 2011, 18:46
Hey guys and gals, I used to play DnD and D20 Modern, around 8 years ago. Haven't had much time or any local groups to play with lately. But I saw a commerical for this site on G4TV and was just wondering some basic info of the site. if anyone is willing to have a little chat or answer some questions that would be awesome. Thanks to all who reply.

Griogre
July 15th, 2011, 19:07
Welcome to the boards Gorna.

There are some video tutorials on the download part of this site for D&D 4E. You might find it helpful to look through the gallery to see some screens from varies games. The most important thing is realize that FG allows you to play roleplaying games over the Internet and is not itself a game. These type of applications are called virtual tabletops. You can look through the posts in the Guild Hall to see what games are looking for players.

If you have any specific questions just ask.

Gorna
July 16th, 2011, 06:06
My biggest question is the membership fees. I was looking and there where like 4 different prices. which one do I need to pay for just the basic play along with others type situation.

Moon Wizard
July 16th, 2011, 07:02
It depends on the type of license that the Gamemaster owns.

Unlimited = Can host games or join any game; when hosting, players do not need to own a license

Full = Can host games or join any game; when hosting, players need to have their own license

Lite = Player license, can connect to any hosted game

Unregistered = Software installed without license, can only connect to games hosted by Unlimited licenses.

Regards,
JPG

Gorna
July 16th, 2011, 07:25
Thanks I went ahead and purchased the lite version. Now I'm just looking to join my first game.

damned
July 16th, 2011, 08:48
the vast majority of fg being played seems to be amongst people who are playing with their own established group in ongoing games/campaigns. it might take you a while to get your first taste and it might take you several tastes to find the right game/group for you.

it is not a MMORPG with people starting all the time and joining in wherever. games are between typically small groups of between 3 and 10 who agree to meet/play at a regular time every week/fortnight/etc. just like regular pen and paper gaming :)

there are several very generous gms out there who might give you a one shot/session game but you should advertise your preferences for time, day, timezone, genre, frequency (try sticking them in your signature) and keep trawling here every few days to see what is happening. also check out the chat channel - particularly around the time windows that you want to play.

dont get disheartened if you dont find what you are looking for straight away.

also - every game being run is being put on by someone who has invested time and effort in preparation and has committed themselves to being available at certain days/times - so respect them by turning up to any agreed games.

Gorna
July 16th, 2011, 08:58
Thanks for the advice damned. I will have to put my play time on my sig. for the most part i'm pretty flexable on when I can play. Maybe you could answer me what could be a simple question not sure. at the bottom of my screen it says all times are GMT -6 so is that what i should put in my sig is GMT -6 so people know what time it is for me?

damned
July 16th, 2011, 09:16
yeah - if you put your tz in your signature then when you say you can play Sunday night others will know what you *really* mean by Sunday night - eg your Sunday night would be my Monday morning. I know you have your location in the header but then I would have to go and lookup what time it is in Utah :)

if you look at the game calendar and sort by Last GM Update:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?sort=lastactivity&sortdir=descending

you will see recently posted games - and there are a few there with openings. post your intrerest and see what happens.

CAPryde
July 17th, 2011, 06:07
I run a Monday afternoon Deadlands game that you would be welcome to join. It uses the Savage Worlds system, which would be easy for a D20 Modern player to pick up.

RKBrumbelow
July 17th, 2011, 20:52
I can 2nd that nomination for CAP's Deadlands game. It is an easy system to pick up. He is a Solid GM, and all the players except for some GruffyOldDwarf who plays dynamite throwing chick named Mallia are pretty cool.;)

Gorna
July 18th, 2011, 04:19
Give me the times and if i can get my work schedule in my favor i would love to join your game. probably wont be this coming monday but maybe the following monday would be the first day i could join.

Gorna
July 18th, 2011, 04:34
CAPryde that offer sounds good. will you let me know the exact time? I won't be able to play tomorrow, but the following monday I should be free depending on the time you start.

RKBrumbelow
July 18th, 2011, 04:48
Gorna, here is a link to the campaign https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=636

It should show you the time in your zone.
BTW MST is GMT -7 but right now you are on MDT which is GMT -6