PDA

View Full Version : English Call Of Cthulhu video tutorials ?

zackspacks
July 12th, 2011, 21:16
Hi all
Just got hold of FG2, loving it, watched Xorn's great introductory videos, and also Doswelks for the Savage Worlds rulesets. I cannot seem to find one for the Call of Cthulhu ruleset ( well okay there's one in French on youtube, which sadly I cannot understand ), in fact I haven't even found a pdf manual for it either. Any ideas ?
cheers
Paul

Sorcerer
July 12th, 2011, 21:34
As far as I know there are no videos and no pdf manual for this ruleset.

What you should have got with the ruleset is a "using the ruleset" module file, which you can activate within the module list after loading a campaign, and then view in the library window.

This (if I remember correctly) should cover the basics of how the ruleset works.

CoC is one of the older "official" rulesets, and as such is quite basic in terms of the automation available. I have never found this a problem since Cthulhu is not a combat heavy game, relying more on the Keeper and his storytelling, but it certainly could do with an update...

zackspacks
July 12th, 2011, 21:43
Hey - many thanks for this, I will load that up and have a read. I agree wrt combat, I am certainly not expecting a fancy combat tracker. I will read that then, as I am planning a Cthulhu Rising module to run for our Skype group in about a month
cheers
Paul

zackspacks
July 13th, 2011, 08:30
Hi again
Okay, a couple of other questions actually. When I go to load up a campaign, there are three eras ( fine ) plus a v2.7 patch. Should I ignore the patch option ?

Secondly, found the instructions okay, and there seems to be a lot there, although TBH I would much rather this was in a downloadable document format, as reading chunks on the screen is a bit fiddly ? I have tried highlighting the text to copy into a word document, but it won't let me. Any ideas ?

cheers
Paul

Sorcerer
July 14th, 2011, 14:58
the patch is necessary. It fixes some errors in the adventure notes system that appeared when FG was updated to version v2.7.
so you should have this selected.
the era's really only change the visible skills on the character sheet. The ruleset defaults to 1920's so you only need to select an era if you are using something other than that.

I also would also have preferred the instructions in pdf or some sort of printable format.

if you can't use it as provided the only thing you can really do is find the module file itself (should be in your dataapps folder /Fantasy grounds/modules). the mod file can be renamed as a zip and opened. inside you will find db.xml this contains all the text of the module and you can open it in any text editor, although it will also have a lot of html formating to go through.- other than that I can't think of another way to view it.

The ruleset is fairly simple so I'm sure you will pick it up quickly enough.

zackspacks
July 14th, 2011, 23:40
Many thanks mate, I will select the patch, and go looking for the database folder
cheers