PDA

View Full Version : Players not seeing skills

Draeus
July 11th, 2011, 20:25
i have adjusted the races/classes / skills and Feats in the 3.5E-basicrules.mod file in the module folder.

But when i load the game and my players join. I can see the changes, but the players dont?

How do i get round this?

joshuha
July 11th, 2011, 20:37
I believe the 3.5 module is a client based module meaning each player has their own copy. You need to distribute yours and tell them to place it in the Fantasy Grounds 2 Application data folder -> Modules. They can get to this by going to Start menu -> Fantasy Grounds 2 -> Application data folder -> Modules.

Draeus
July 11th, 2011, 20:46
is there any way of getting round this.. or do I have to move on to 4E?

Moon Wizard
July 11th, 2011, 21:30
Within each module, the data is designed to be a specific distribution type. You can see more information on modules here:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/gm_library.xcp
(Just click on the Module Types and Creating Modules subsections on the left)

The reason that they are defined as client is to reduce network overhead, and the fact that everyone has them on their machines with the FG install.

For your situation, I would suggest the following changes:
* Rename your module so that it is unique (internal and external name) (i.e. Draeus 3.5E Basic Rules)
* Change the file holding the data in the module from client.xml to common.xml. This will cause the data to be downloaded automatically to the client if they open the module on their end (or if force loaded).
* Disable access to the built-in module (3.5E Basic Rules) (to prevent duplicate entries)

Regards,
JPG

Draeus
July 11th, 2011, 21:50
Thank you .. I will work on this for next session!

Draeus
July 31st, 2011, 17:24
For your situation, I would suggest the following changes:
* Rename your module so that it is unique (internal and external name) (i.e. Draeus 3.5E Basic Rules)
* Change the file holding the data in the module from client.xml to common.xml. This will cause the data to be downloaded automatically to the client if they open the module on their end (or if force loaded).
* Disable access to the built-in module (3.5E Basic Rules) (to prevent duplicate entries

OK.. I have tried to tackle this.
I renamed my module so that is unique lets say as above.
Changing the files holding the module.. Which file is this? is it the new unique named one? If so I have changed the file in the module from client to common.
Where do i disable access to the build in module.. I have searched here and there and have become very confused.
Also what file do I alter so that my unique mod shows in game?

Moon Wizard
July 31st, 2011, 17:52
* Make a copy of the 3.5E-basicrules.mod
* You will need to rename the new file to .ZIP, so that you can open it.
* Then, open the client.XML file in a text editor.
* Rename the string 3.5E Basic Rules to Draeus Basic Rules
* Rename the open and closing xml tags for d20basicrules to draeusbasicrules.
* Make any other data changes you want to make in the file for your custom data.
* Save the file as "common.xml" to a new location.
* Delete the client.xml file inside the ZIP file.
* Copy the new common.xml file into the ZIP file.
* Rename the new file to draeus-basicrules.mod
* Place in the application data folder modules directory.

I would suggest using a text editor that does XML validation, such as Notepad++ with the XML Tools plugin. I think you can also open in IE to see if there are any tag errors before putting back into the ZIP file.

Regards,
JPG

Draeus
July 31st, 2011, 17:53
Thank you ..

:) lets hope this works tomorrow night formy players.. I have even included a litle thumbnail .. YAY ME!!

Draeus
July 31st, 2011, 18:05
ok.. now i have a little problem..

I have both 3.5 basic rules and draeusbasicrules.

If I have them both open, i get 2 sets of skills, class, race etc.

If I have only draeus open, everything works fine except for skills when I click on the skill it says:
Could not open sheet with data from unloaded module '3.5E Basic Rules'

I have gone through and changed the skills to @draeusbasicrules

Moon Wizard
July 31st, 2011, 18:21
If you have them both open, they should be listed under separate book entries in the library if you followed the directions I gave.

There is one step I forgot:
* Search and replace "@3.5E Basic Rules" to "@Draeus Basic Rules"

This will update all the links to point to your copy instead of the other module, so you don't get the link error.

Regards,
JPG

Draeus
July 31st, 2011, 18:40
ok,

that seems to have worked.

thank you yet again.. lets hope the players can now access it :)