PDA

View Full Version : Version 2.7.6 or 2.8?

PublicJohnDoe
July 10th, 2011, 07:30
Yesterday, when my friends and I gathered together (virtually) for our scheduled D&D game, something unusual happened.

While my Full version said no new update was available (and still is at 2.7.6), my players' Lite versions updated to 2.8!

Now, I know for sure they didn't mess with test versions in the registry and such (one of their PCs was formatted a couple of days ago, and yesterday I installed FG2 on it myself via TeamViewer)... why the discrepancy?

Leonal
July 10th, 2011, 08:08
They must have used the test mode manager (available from the downloads page) and set it to Test Mode. Until the file is opened again and set to "Release," their FG will update to test mode, whether they reformatted or not.

Aidan_Dark
August 3rd, 2011, 02:49
I'm a DM that had this happen as well. I've had the same client for ages and ages and I use a Pathfinder mod that is dependent for d20_jpg (which was of course borked in the beta :P). I never downloaded any test mode manager, ever. So that might not be the only issue there.

Being updated to this beta version almost derailed our entire session as confusion reigned.

Fortunately I was able to get back on v2.7.6 and saved most things though the players had to re-input their characters into FG2.

Also: I'd love to know how to get out of Test mode so I can know when it is *actually* safe for me to install the latest updates. I just tried downloading the Test mode manager and set it to Release and nothing happened. Does it have to be in the FG2 file folders or something? There aren't any instructions to go with it.

Leonal
August 3rd, 2011, 03:07
All the Test Mode Manager does is change which files you get when you click the "update" button within FG, thus you always have to update FG after switching between release and test to get the correct files. The manager can be anywhere on your computer, and it will be tied to your FG license IIRC. (i.e. if you install it on a laptop for example after updating to Test on your desktop, that version will also update to Test even though you don't have the manager on your laptop.)