PDA

View Full Version : Random Generators?

mwbay
July 7th, 2011, 23:41
As a GM, I've created a variety of random generators to help me plan and play games quickly. These include things like name and description generators for NPCs. I'd like to tie these into the NPC sheets already in rulesets, where for example, a Create Random Name button would fill in the name field.

I can create the basic scripts in Lua with little problem, except... I don't know how to hook them into Fantasy Grounds.

Yes, I am trying to figure it out on my own, but I'm not getting very far very fast. I'll continue to search for the information here, but I'd love any advice or direction you might be able to supply.

phantomwhale
July 8th, 2011, 03:38
Look at existing ruleset, search for Slash command handlers. You could hook LUA procedures easily into FGII using them - no GUI work required (you just post the results into the Chat Window for the GM or everyone to see).

There is a good example of this in the form of "Savage Worlds Tables" extension on this forum. It provides procedures to randomly generate a number and associated entry from one the Savage Worlds rulebook tables and is also activated via slash commands (e.g. "/table fear" in the chat box will roll on the Fear table).

It's approach is done for Savage Worlds, but would be the same for most rulesets, as they generally use the slash commands in the same way.

mwbay
July 8th, 2011, 12:53
Excellent!

I jumped into chatmanager.lua and was able to create the basis of what I'm trying to do very quickly.

https://www.atlantagamer.net/untitled3.jpg

I'll look next into putting my work into extensions so other people can find use for them.

Thanks for the guidance!