PDA

View Full Version : Newsletter Fail

bigdruid
July 5th, 2011, 11:10
Hi

Someone is sending out the FG Newsletter with HTML tags but in Plain Text format. I've tried to mention this before but it keeps happening. Because of this, all the hard work you did to make it is mostly wasted.

Could someone put up a page on a site with the newsletter, or resend it properly?

Thank you.

GW

damned
July 5th, 2011, 12:18
what newsletter? i never got a newsletter?

Callum
July 5th, 2011, 13:19
It looks fine to me in Yahoo mail, but I do get sent two copies of the newsletter every time.

Robbo
July 5th, 2011, 13:32
I'd love to see the newsletter too. Please post a copy online.

RKBrumbelow
July 5th, 2011, 14:12
GW,
The "failure" is on your side. From the message header:
Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1 So it is formatted and sent properly.

For those that want the newsletter, you can sign up for it here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/lists/

cpbs
July 5th, 2011, 14:16
I attached a picture of the one from my email. Hopefully the attachment goes through.

bigdruid
July 5th, 2011, 18:14
GW,
The "failure" is on your side. From the message header: So it is formatted and sent properly.

For those that want the newsletter, you can sign up for it here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/lists/
Ok, well, guess I'm SOL because I get all sorts of HTML newsletters properly but not yours. Since you think there is no issue, I'll go unsubscribe.

RKBrumbelow
July 5th, 2011, 18:42
Ok, well, guess I'm SOL because I get all sorts of HTML newsletters properly but not yours. Since you think there is no issue, I'll go unsubscribe.

Sounds good to me. You should absolutely unsubscribe from every newsletter you receive from me. Never troubleshoot things, check the source code or check your mime settings either.

bigdruid
July 5th, 2011, 18:49
Sounds good to me. You should absolutely unsubscribe from every newsletter you receive from me. Never troubleshoot things, check the source code or check your mime settings either.Well, isn't the source code your end? You said that was fine.

You said I didn't troubleshoot, I never said that.

RKBrumbelow
July 5th, 2011, 18:57
Well, isn't the source code your end?

You said that was fine.

You said I didn't troubleshoot, I never said that.

1 out of 3 statements are correct, #2.

-plonk

bigdruid
July 5th, 2011, 19:01
1 out of 3 statements are correct, #2.

-plonk

*shrugs* So, you're right, I'm wrong, or at least in your mind. You have at least one person who couldn't get your newsletter and I bet now that more know about the newsletter, more will have the same issue and you might care then. Or not.

joshuha
July 5th, 2011, 19:53
Why do you keep calling it RKBrumblelow's newsletter? Am I missing something where it's his? I just assumed he was answering that it looks formatted ok (with some snarkiness).

I am getting this newsletter (and previous ones) just fine in HTML format with both my gmail and yahoo accounts.

bigdruid
July 5th, 2011, 20:10
Why do you keep calling it RKBrumblelow's newsletter? Am I missing something where it's his? I just assumed he was answering that it looks formatted ok (with some snarkiness).

I am getting this newsletter (and previous ones) just fine in HTML format with both my gmail and yahoo accounts.

Sorry, the FG newsletter. Apologies.

damned
July 6th, 2011, 23:46
hi bigdruid - there are hundreds of different mail servers in use and some of them have hundreds of different switches and settings and then and then you add inline spam and virus filters and at least a couple of dozen different mail readers you have a lot of variables.
i wrote a newsletter app a few years ago and it works for most people most of the time. this issue of html not rendering on the recipients end occurs for me about 1 in 5000 emails (i think thats fairly accurate based on the target audience). i dont even try to troubleshoot it - its just not worth it from where i stand.

ddavison
July 7th, 2011, 02:00
Hello BigDruid,

I'm the person responsible for sending the newsletters and I've tested it successfully on a number of different mail platforms, but haven't managed to reproduce your issue. There could very well be something else I need to add from my end -- I just haven't identified it yet and so far you're the only person out of 8000 or so people who've reported it.

Thanks for reporting it though... it may simply be that other people are experiencing the same problem and not reporting it.

-Doug