PDA

View Full Version : Module Activation for Players

damned
July 3rd, 2011, 13:58
I have a Castles & Crusades campaign going but most of my players cannot open the Players Handbook.
I have opened the Book icon in Modules. I have tried Allow and Force load but neither works for all players.
I opened the .mod file and it is a client.xml - does this mean that the players can only see it if they too own the Castles & Crusades ruleset?
I think one or two of my players do own this ruleset so maybe thats why they see it?
I am running 2.7.6 as are players.
Any suggestions or ideas?

damned
July 3rd, 2011, 13:59
More info:
Player 1 can see the modules but they are greyed out and there is no book icon. There is a web bottom left hand corner and the tick or lightning or cross shows too.

Sorcerer
July 3rd, 2011, 14:31
Damned, I'm afraid client.xml is exactly what you think it is

i.e whilst the GM can control whether the module can be viewed during the game or not, it must be installed on the clients machine to work.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14706&highlight=client.xml

in this link Moon_Wizard gives a summary of the 3 different database types. (post number 3)

client.xml is quite common with commercial modules, giving some restrictions to who can view the copyrighted (i.e. restricting legal viewing to those that have paid for it).

damned
July 3rd, 2011, 14:33
you should change your name to "Knight in Shining Armour".
players cannot view it during the game either...? is that how it should be?

damned
July 3rd, 2011, 14:39
i tried making a Story page with links to various sections in the PHB but the links just open as blank windows for problem (grin) players whilst for me if i connect a second session it works as i do have the module....?

Sorcerer
July 3rd, 2011, 14:52
probably I should change my name to "I have no Life", at least it seems that way since i always seem to be on this site when you are asking a question.

if the file is client.xml players must have it installed on there PC to view it, but you can still block them from viewing it.
if the book is listed as common.xml they can view it whether they have it or not. (the necessary files will be downloaded on connection)

if you are creating links to the PB and they don't have the module then the links are sure to fail. I guess they should work if they have the module - but I have actually never tried that myself.

damned
July 3rd, 2011, 14:57
Well... life or no life you are my saviour!
I guess this ruleset is different from some others then.
I did read that about client.xml in the online User Guide but elsewhere I had read that the ruleset woudl be available in game... must vary from ruleset to ruleset.

Sorcerer
July 3rd, 2011, 15:13
my understanding is that the Client, common and DB filetypes work the same in all rulesets.

I think its just a matter of terminology.

the definition of ruleset that they are using only includes the mechanics of how the system works, they are not referring to the modules. The ruleset files are infact transfered to the client during logon, so they do get a limited free copy which enables them to play the game, but the supporting material is not necessarily included in that.

If the publisher does not want the PH to be shared without purchase, I would vote for an independent copy of the PH to be available for sale for players, although since the whole lot (in the case of C&C) is only $10, I would suspect the cost saving to the player would be negligible, and they would be advised to buy the full version.

The next version of the C&C PH will include draggable equipment, so I am hoping that all players will have access to this module.

damned
July 3rd, 2011, 15:31
+1 to draggable equipment.
it seems strange that spells etc cant be accessed by players but i guess $10 is not very much.
thanks again for your help.

Iceman
July 3rd, 2011, 15:55
I had this same problem when I first started using FG2. I tried force load and it didnt work. Finally I discovered that you also had to OPEN the book and then put it in as a request or force load or no load. Now all my players can access the books.

I have a Castles & Crusades campaign going but most of my players cannot open the Players Handbook.
I have opened the Book icon in Modules. I have tried Allow and Force load but neither works for all players.
I opened the .mod file and it is a client.xml - does this mean that the players can only see it if they too own the Castles & Crusades ruleset?
I think one or two of my players do own this ruleset so maybe thats why they see it?
I am running 2.7.6 as are players.
Any suggestions or ideas?

damned
July 3rd, 2011, 15:57
what is this REQUEST?
i activated module by opening book and setting to allow.
players still cant see the book icon?

Sorcerer
July 3rd, 2011, 16:06
a request for activation occurs when the player has a copy of a client.xml module on their computer, or the player/host has a common.xml module on their computer. - but the host has not yet set the activation setting (i.e. block allow, force load).

The Host then has a chance to allow the player to view the material or not.

it cannot allow a client.xml module to be viewed if it is not physically on the clients computer.

damned
July 3rd, 2011, 16:08
thanks guys. i'll encourage my players to buy the ruleset. although i think half of them are playing with unregisterred clients they might have to fix that first...

Trenloe
July 4th, 2011, 00:45
thanks guys. i'll encourage my players to buy the ruleset. although i think half of them are playing with unregisterred clients they might have to fix that first...

Hey Damned, I've bought the rules, so I'll be OK next Saturday! :-)

We can see how it goes and I can take you through it if you want during the game - as I had similar misunderstanding issues when I tried sharing modules. Although I think Sorcerer and Iceman have pretty much covered it...

damned
July 4th, 2011, 00:55
Thanks again all.