PDA

View Full Version : 4E Enhanced Encounters

Zeus
July 3rd, 2011, 11:21
NEW VERSION: v1.2 - see last post.

Hey everyone. Here's an extension which prior to JPGs update of 4E to v2.1 added Encounter token pre-placement functionality to 4E.

Given JPG enhanced my original version (which used manually entered x,y coordinate data) to manage pre-placement by using token drag/drop actions instead, I stripped out the older x,y code and re-constituted the remaining extension elements. The extension now re-skins the Encounters windowclass objects to bring it in line with the other 4E frame styles.

Please note this is a test release given v2.8 is required (which is also still in testing). Please backup your campaign files before using.

4E Enhanced Encounters
1st July 2011 – v1.1

Updated to support 2.8 API and 4E v2.1
Stripped x,y data fields and replaced with JPG’s token pre-placement code (introduced in v2.8), now DM’s just have to drag/drop tokens to a map and the position information is stored. No need to manually enter x,y coordinates.

1st June 2011 – v1.0

Updated windowclasses to use newer 4E style frames and style layout.
Added x,y coordinate data to NPC entries for storing x,y coordinates data.
Added pop-down fields for adding x,y coordinates – utilises windowlist for scaleable encounters
Updated CT addBattle() handlers so when encounters are added to the CT, the CT will pre-deploy tokens to a map based upon the x,y coordinate data stored in each Encounter NPC entry.

Screenshot:

https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5309/5896255825_a602d39a25.jpg (https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5309/5896255825_9a4c39608e_o.jpg)

You can find the new extension under the Test releases of the Extensions area on my new site. Click the banner in the signature for a link to the new site. Note: new site requires user registration before downloads will work.

gmkieran
July 6th, 2011, 18:35
Woot! Been looking forward to this one since I started building my first campaign. Am I correct in assuming v2.8 has overcome the problem of only having a single instance of the CT but multiple encounter maps? Or do pre-placed tokens not link to the CT?

Zeus
July 6th, 2011, 19:27
Woot! Been looking forward to this one since I started building my first campaign. Am I correct in assuming v2.8 has overcome the problem of only having a single instance of the CT but multiple encounter maps? Or do pre-placed tokens not link to the CT?

Yes, v2.8 introduces pre-placement for encounter based NPCs.

The way it works is:

1) Create a new Encounter and populate it with some NPCs
2) Open an Map image and drag the NPC placement tokens (one created for each NPC in the Encounter) to the image. As you do so, the placement tokens change to a tick symbol indicating the placement has been recorded.
3) Once complete, close the Encounter and remove the tokens (if you wish from the map image).
4) Now, open the CT and drag the Encounter link to the CT window. CT Entries will be created for each NPC as per usual AND the tokens for said NPCs will be placed on the map linked to their appropriate CT entry.

That's it, quite simple really. The placement will even work if the map image is not open at the time the CT is populated. :)

So, this means you can now build your adventures with the encounters pre-laid out and ready to go during game time.

Note: Eugenez will need to add support to the 4E Parser before parsed modules will be able to leverage the new functionality in 2.8.

Finally this extension, simply re-introduces the new skin I originally included for the mod that JPG could not include in the base ruleset.

DrZ.

someoneinatree
July 10th, 2011, 08:24
This is amazing work!

Andugus
July 10th, 2011, 15:58
Is there any extension like this available for Savage Worlds or OGL/3.5 rulesets?

gmkieran
July 13th, 2011, 02:20
Andugus, I just picked up the SavageWorlds3 ruleset and it appears to already support multiple instances of the CT, which was 4E's primary limitation on pre-built encounters. Does it not play like this extension (that will be very disappointing for me) or do you perhaps have an older version?

Cheers!
GMK

Zeus
September 14th, 2011, 15:24
Hey all,

New update for Enhanced Encounters - Skill Challenges

https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6151/6147263708_56d1eee3d6_z.jpg (https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6151/6147263708_6590196997_o.jpg)

14th September 2011 - v1.2

Updated Encounters ('battle') classes to include two new subwindows - Combat and Skill Challenge. DMs can now define regular combat encounters as well as Skill Challenges. Encounters can be mixed containing both combat and skill challenge content.
Added button controls to Encounters class for adding Skill Challenge Skill Checks to the Skill Challenge Tracker and switching between Combat and Skill Challenge subwindows.
Updated Information lists in Skill Challenges to include formattedtext support for list entry text fields
text field supports chat text, reference links etc. etc.
Updated Information lists in Skill Challenges to recognise keywords (Setup, Complexity etc. etc.) and to order entries appropriatley. Keywords and Order are:

Setup, Success, Failure, Level, Complexity, Primary Skills, Secondary Skills, Acrobatics, Arcana, Athletics, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering, Endurance, Heal, History, Insight, Intimidate, Nature, Perception, Religion, Stealth, Streetwise, Thievery

Non standard entry titles will be sorted to the end of the list in the order they are added.

Entry titles containing a Skill name will generate a numberfield (located towards the right edge of the entry title line) allowing for definition of Skill DC values

Added support to Information list title and entry titles in Skill Challenges for collapsing and expanding list entry text fields. Left click to reveal/hide.
Added support for drag/drop of reference_skillchallengelist data (Library based Skill Challenges) into Encounters windowlist

Enjoy!

DrZ.

drvolk
September 15th, 2011, 18:34
Fantastic, thats one thing i was looking for !

Thanks a lot DrZ!!!!

Torgaard
September 20th, 2011, 22:18
Another awesome mod! Such a time saver. Thanks again DrZ!