PDA

View Full Version : True20 ruleset, best design approach/strategy?

peterb
June 25th, 2011, 14:44
What would be the best approach these days (a few months before the release of 2.8) if one wanted to create a True20 ruleset? Create a fork from 3.5E (or even the d20 ruleset) or perhaps create an (extended) extension? Is there any summary of expected additions to 3.5E on these boards on which one could base a decision?

Moon Wizard
June 25th, 2011, 19:13
The d20 ruleset is the simplest of the rulesets available from SmiteWorks directly. Also, there are a couple generic rulesets available on the community wiki that are probably very simple as well.

In the upcoming 3.5E update, I have tried to segment a lot of the code into groupings to make it easier to reuse portions of the code in other rulesets. I have made strides in my efforts, but there still may be some interdependencies between components. However, it is also a more complex ruleset.

Whichever you decide, please post questions on the forums, and I will chime in if someone doesn't beat me to them.

Regards,
JPG

peterb
June 26th, 2011, 16:05
I managed to unpack the new (v. 2.8) 3.5E rulset by using the test utility and the old d20unpak.exe tool (the newer unpackaging tool only unpacked 3 files strange enough) so I have had a few glances at the new code structure and it looks very neat. I have previously modified the Call of Cthulhu and BRP rulsets for my own campaign so I'm not a total newbie when it comes to rulset modifications. The new structure, neat as it is, still leaves me a bit confused since scripts have changed names and locations. Is there some basic documentation available somewhere? For example, I would like to have a look at the chat_chat.lua and chatmanager.lua scripts but they have changed names.

Thanks for the assistance,

Peter

Moon Wizard
June 28th, 2011, 00:22
chat_chat.lua -> desktop/scripts/chat_window.lua
chatmanager.lua -> scripts/manager_chat.lua

No guide to the underlying code for the ruleset. Still trying to get to the user manuals for the updated ruleset. I'll have to field questions for now.

Cheers,
JPG

Blackfoot
July 1st, 2011, 08:46
I managed to unpack the new (v. 2.8) 3.5E rulset by using the test utility and the old d20unpak.exe tool (the newer unpackaging tool only unpacked 3 files strange enough)
I have had a similar problem and found that rerunning the extraction tool found the rest of the files... sometimes I've had to run it 3 times.. but eventually it seems to get them all.

Leonal
July 1st, 2011, 08:50
I'd recommend using Winrar or similar to extract and .pack pak/mod/ext/younameit files for FG.

kairos
November 12th, 2011, 18:07
I've been thinking about having a go at a True20 ruleset myself. Any progress?

ddavison
November 12th, 2011, 21:01
Just a heads up, that we have a license for this now and the developer doing the M&M ruleset has this put together but in Spanish at the moment. The plan would be to fully complete this with all the bells and whistles we expect for a commercial ruleset and release it in both an English and Spanish version.

kairos
November 13th, 2011, 02:31
Just a heads up, that we have a license for this now and the developer doing the M&M ruleset has this put together but in Spanish at the moment. The plan would be to fully complete this with all the bells and whistles we expect for a commercial ruleset and release it in both an English and Spanish version.

Good news. :) Both would be on my auto-buy list.

Thanks for the update!

kairos
November 13th, 2011, 13:33
Forgot to ask: do you have an ETA on the English version of either of these rulesets?