PDA

View Full Version : Returning to FG

kwebb12
June 24th, 2011, 19:45
Greets All,

It's been about 2 years since firing up FG and hosting a few games which means all my .mod files have come and gone. I didn't think I'd ever need them again obviously but some friends have talked me into running a FG night again.

I'm a little out of practice, as I've done all the parsing before, but I'm really just looking for the guide I used previously to help me step through parsing all the PDF files and importing them into FG.

I've found this one: https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/4EParser_Tutorial_1:_Your_First_Module

But, I could have sworn there was something out there that pull/parsed the actual PDF file and pasted it into a Notepad File for you; without having to copy/paste them yourself?

I figure, since 2 years have past, there's an easier way to go about getting all the .mod files for all the Handbooks, Skills, Items, Manuals etc... into FG.

Moon Wizard
June 24th, 2011, 23:43
There's a 4E Parser floating around the forums that will pull the information from a DDI account and import into a FG module. It's actually based on the original parser which built from text files, so it saves the DDI info into text files and then builds from the text files. The text files have their own format, and I believe there are some examples with the parser. I've only used the parser once and I have a DDI account, so I'm not an expert on it.

Regards,
JPG

kwebb12
June 24th, 2011, 23:46
I think I'm picking it back up; I just found what you were talking about and I'm spitting out text files from my DDi account. I remember I had to do it all by 'hand' via the parser and my personal data. :x

Anyone know off hand if there's something that the DDi parses might leave out? That a quick run to the store or personal parse might have to be done?

Going to read up on how to get them into FG next; if I remember correctly... I don't think it was that rough.

Moon Wizard
June 25th, 2011, 00:14
I think that the parser currently chokes on items, due to a change on the Wizards side. One of the community members has gotten permission from the original parser developer to look at patching in the near future.

Regards,
JPG

kwebb12
June 25th, 2011, 01:28
Ah gotcha - So, after making the .txt files they needed to be re-parsed in the 'Parsing' mode of the program... but I think I have to make some corrections in the .txt file correct? Because the parse doesn't work 100% without correcting some errors?

Moon Wizard
June 25th, 2011, 19:25
I think it's gotten a lot better, so manual editing was only really necessary for custom data. Only used once and followed forums, so others may have more detail.

EugeneZ just posted an update on the item fixes, but Wizards compendium is currently not working right.

Cheers,
JPG

kwebb12
June 25th, 2011, 19:42
Would anyone have a link straight to some updated Guides/Tuts I can read up on for all this? I'm probably still trying to do it the way I did it 2 years ago, lol.

(Using the Parser Tutorial 1 & 2 Websites)

Things I'm really interested in knowing is if I still have to manually bring out the Fluff.txt information and all that; In this version I don't see that batch file information for making it a .mod during the parse process.

Dakadin
June 25th, 2011, 23:31
Here is the link that helped me figure out most of the parser. I hope it helps.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=84732&postcount=8

Dakadin

GMTroll
June 28th, 2011, 16:48
I'm a little out of practice, as I've done all the parsing before, but I'm really just looking for the guide I used previously to help me step through parsing all the PDF files and importing them into FG.

Check this post from DrZeuss (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10783&highlight=RPGA) on translating PDFs.

I only tried the Scales of War PDFs with varying degrees of success but then I wasn't entirely sure of what I was doing.