PDA

View Full Version : 2.8 Ruleset Construction Question.

drahkar
June 23rd, 2011, 14:32
Just to confirm. If I don't include the flag to mark a Ruleset for older version compatibility, it will enforce the code requirements for 2.8, correct?

I realized that I'm aiming for after the 2.8 release for the completion of the Ruleset I'm building and I want to make sure it is 2.8 compliant so I can take advantage of the new features as well as not run into conflicts.

Moon Wizard
June 23rd, 2011, 20:02
I've added the information on what the ruleset compatibility mode value will affect in the upcoming update to the Library documentation.

Here's the link here:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdocbeta/

If you are developing to release after v2.8, I would just go ahead and set the version attribute to "2.8".

As the versions have progressed, there have been changes to make the developer interface more consistent, predictable and faster. However, some older rulesets have grown to depend on certain behaviors. The backward compatibility flag preserves certain behaviors until rulesets are updated and tested with the final version.

Cheers,
JPG

drahkar
June 23rd, 2011, 20:39
Perfect. Thank you.

drahkar
June 23rd, 2011, 20:41
As a follow up. What would happen with the version set to 2.0in 2.7.6 and 2.8 respectively?

Moon Wizard
June 24th, 2011, 01:39
If the version was set to 2.0, then the behaviors of certain aspects of FG would change based on the info on that page.

The backward compatibility flags have been in the FG client since v2.4, just not documented.

Cheers,
JPG

drahkar
June 24th, 2011, 02:21
Ugh. Seems I'm probably going to have a lot of updating to do regardless. That's what I get for not looking closer to that variable.

drahkar
June 24th, 2011, 02:27
And it all still works. Awesome.

Thanks for the heads up about the compatibility version.

Sorcerer
July 11th, 2011, 11:34
a little additional question.

it seems that many rulesets (and more specifically C&C) have a root version value for every xml file.

Is this just outdated code, or can you really set the compatibility of each indivdual xml file?

Do all of these need changed or are they overridden by the base.xml value?

I note that the new 3.5E ruleset does not have these extra values.

Moon Wizard
July 11th, 2011, 21:35
The compatibility version is only read once, from the base.xml file. So, the version information in all the other files was being ignored anyways.

Regards,
JPG