PDA

View Full Version : Have a favorite CSV to XML converter?

Aristotle
June 22nd, 2011, 20:27
So it occurs to me that it might make .mod creation easier if I edit my data in a CSV file and then just export it to XML. It won't do all of the heavy lifting, but it will cut down on data entry time for spells, magic items, etc...

So I've downloaded a few apps that do the conversion and the results from some of them are good. Not perfect, but it still saves me from typing a lot of tags. Just curious if anyone is doing this and has a better quality app that I could check out.

Aristotle
June 24th, 2011, 00:54
I think I found what I need. "Total CSV Converter" seems like the best option of the 8 or 9 solutions I tried. I was able to build some simple templates for it and parse them into entry listings for a library file. I may post more on my process, once I have an actual process, later. For now I'm going to work up some Pathfinder modules to test it out.

StuartW
June 24th, 2011, 06:54
I always used a spreadsheet for this stuff. The first few columns were for data entry, the top two rows held the xml tag names and types, the middle columns held formulae to do the conversion, and the last column was the results. I then copied and pasted the results into notepad and saved as a .xml file.

I've attached the file I used to create equipment data for the BRP ruleset, as an example.

Stuart

Aristotle
June 24th, 2011, 15:29
See... I never even thought to do that. I just knew there had to be an easier way than manual entry, and I already have massive CSV files with game data, so I started checking out converters. The converter works, but your approach allows for a bit more fine tuning.

I'll check it out. Thank you!

Aristotle
June 30th, 2011, 20:33
Just an update.

I hardly ever use Excel, but whenever I need some specialized application someone smarter than me always says "Just use Excel!" Once again the advice has paid off.

I'm building modules for Pathfinder, using premade spreadsheets and CSV docs of the OGL content from the books. My first module of 1207 spells is progressing nicely. Might have a first version ready by the end of the weekend.